shape
carat
color
clarity

expert advice on my recent purchase would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi, i have never posted here before, but once i saw the expertise on the board i figured this would be the best place to ask my question!

i just recently upgraded my engagement ring and purchased a 3/4 carat F colored I1 clarity solitare with a white gold band and four platinum prongs. the inclusions are inthere though. upon fist look you woulndnt notice but if you looked very close you would see several tiny black spots. im not sure how i feel about these yet. i am going to give it a week and if i hate it i will take it back. but i want to be prepared for the price of a more perfect diamond.

what i paid for this was $2999. does this pricing sound correct for this ring? i just want to make sure i didnt pay to much and if i did not for what i might have to pay.

thanks
cathy

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cathy,

I''d recommend your reviewing the tutorial here, to get a feel of the focus of this site. Then, to get a comparison of the value of your purchase to others available here, run it through the parameters of the 3 databases above (e-vendors, B&M stores, and by H&A quality) to see the consequence.

What unknown is a) the quality of cut on the diamond you bought, and also, b) the value of the associated ring.

Just some suggestions, best of wishes,

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I ran a search for a .75 to .78 ct diamond with F Color and I1 Clarity and came up with prices between $1341 and $1724 for certified stones.

You paid $2999 with a plain white gold solitaire setting which could be valued at less than $200..some are less.

Ira Z. had some good advice for you about checking out the tutorial, it will help you!

Good luck!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
HI Cathy,
The bottom line is that you can buy far more diamond for your money.
If it''s possible to return for a refund, I would definitely consider doing so. There are quite a few online vendors with great reputations that can offer you a larger diamond of better quality for $3k.

Also- you never mentioned if the diamond comes with a GIA report- If it does not, that would call the color and even the I1 clarity grade into question.

As far as clarity:
I1 diamonds can be fine for some buyers. However, if you have sharp eyes and you can pick out the spot or spots, I would think over time, that it might become a bother.

For a pendant or earring, the clarity is far less critical- mainly because a diamond in your ear, or around your neck receives far less scrutiny.

Congrats on the upgrade- was this a trade in deal?

yes it was a trade in. i originally had a 3/8 not certified diamond with white gold band with chanel set diamonds. they took that ring at full value (gordons jewlers). sometimes i can be kinda a wide eyed sucker. i think this is what happened this time too.

oh it has some card with it but it said gi certified like gem institute or something.

thanks for all the responses. i did use some of the tools on this site and am considering taking it back.

cathy

abbott

Shiny_Rock
If it were me, I would return the diamond and purchase a better quality. You can get a much better quality diamond for 3K. Good thing that you can return the diamond and a even better, you are educating yourself about diamonds and how to buy them. Good luck !!! Abbott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results