shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Advice on Diamond Purchasing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepomint

Rough_Rock
Hello All. This site forum is VERY VERY useful, but there is so much to read. I want to try to find the answers to ALL my questions w/o putting up a post, but find it difficult, cuz not sure which topices to find it in. So, I thought I''d post a message and hope many helpful members will shed some light on my diamond purchase.

Background: My boyfriend is afraid to buy the ring because of the specifics of what I want will not make the ring cheap. I figure this is my "only" ring and I want a really great one where all the girls will ohh and ahh about it. I figure I''ll do all the research (he''s too busy) and have him go and buy it. I know it''s not romantic, but at least I''ll know I have the ring I love.
1.gif

Okay, I will number my questions so it''ll be easy to read

1. Around what range would I pay for a Round, E, VS2, 1.25-1.30, Ideal cut, thin to med girdle, polish and symmetry excellent, flouresence is none, culet none, ideal proportions? I would love to pay only $9000 for this. Do you think this is realistic?

2. I''ve read a lot of posts about purchasing online, so I will not rule this out and am leaning more towards it. Is there a place where I can get a break down of abbreviations? What is B&M? I''m assuming it''s a regular store and not internet store.

3. Would anyone in the LA area recommend the Downtown Jewelry District? If so, which vendor and person? I obviously don''t want to get ripped off.

4. I''ve read posts that one of the Internet Vendors sends a coupon after purchase and it is transferrable. I was wondering if there has been a post to offer the certificate to other buyers to use it? If anyone has one, can I sent them a postage paid envelope and they can let me use it?
5.gif
I think I read that it expires in a year. I suppose some are generous to share it if they are not using it??
1.gif

5. Many recommend when purchasing online, to set up an appt to have it independently appraised. Is this to make sure the stone that was received is real? What percentage is this recommended because many of these online Vendors (more of the one''s talked about in this forum) are with the BBB and other organizations.

6. Most sites have free shipping. So, when I receive it and inspect it, if I don''t like it I would have to pay for return shipping right? What happens if I like the stone? Do I keep it and be charged for it?

7. Some offer specials if we get the setting with them. How do I do this if I want to inspect the loose stone and get it appraised? Can apprisals be done with the stone already in the setting? Do I order the stone and the setting together and if I don''t like it return it together? I don''t want to pay for extra misc cost in shipping things back so I want to be cautious to order the right stone and keep it.

8. What do most people do? Get the loose stone and buy the setting elsewhere and have it mounted? Or do I get the stone, inspect it, and then ship it back to be mounted on the setting I want and then they send it back to me? But, wouldn''t I run into the risk of the vendor switching the stone on me?

Sorry, I think I have too many questions about online shopping. It''s a little different from being at the store.

One more thing. I went to a local Jeweler and he had a 1.32, vs2, symmetry/polish are good, E color, ideal cut, GIA showed inclusions more so on the pavillion of the diamond, table area. He said the price is $12,050. Is this too much? I thought so.

I''m really hoping to buy this month, but more realistic I think I can convince my boyfriend to make the purchase next month.
2.gif
Wish me luck.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe some help....

1) Following the strategy in the shopping link below my name, my first choice would be this one, a possible back up, this one (or despite the size differences, with the first less expensive -- $8799 vs $9790 -- and in house at WF, you''re may just skip the second).

2) B&M, bricks & morter, yes, and though you can ask them questions, info sorts of things might be sought best right here, doing a search.

3) I''ve with some frequency recommendations here:

Oscar''s Design Jewelry in the International Diamond Center off of Hill Street in the downtown diamond district

4) if paying by wire vs credit card, (not necessarily recommended with anyone, but these are good vendors), particularly with WF, mention you''ve seen them here to get a modest additional discount. Don''t know of any other coupon otherwise needed.

5, 7 & 8 ) a few (too many) thoughts...

6) just ask

Best wishes!

pepomint

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you input.

Regular Guy - The 2 selections you sent me look great.
If I understand correctly, in general, it''s not a good idea to wire money?
How come?
Actually, I have heard to pay for diamonds where its traceable than with cash.
What are the payment recomendations? Check, Cash, Wire, Credit Card, Mondy Order?

Thanks.
Pepomint

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Pepomint...

I thought this was a good discussion on the subject...

Warm regards,

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2005 2:13
6.gif
9 AM
Author:pepomint
Hello All. This site forum is VERY VERY useful, but there is so much to read. I want to try to find the answers to ALL my questions w/o putting up a post, but find it difficult, cuz not sure which topices to find it in. So, I thought I''d post a message and hope many helpful members will shed some light on my diamond purchase.

Background: My boyfriend is afraid to buy the ring because of the specifics of what I want will not make the ring cheap. I figure this is my ''only'' ring and I want a really great one where all the girls will ohh and ahh about it. I figure I''ll do all the research (he''s too busy) and have him go and buy it. I know it''s not romantic, but at least I''ll know I have the ring I love.
1.gif

Okay, I will number my questions so it''ll be easy to read

3. Would anyone in the LA area recommend the Downtown Jewelry District? If so, which vendor and person? I obviously don''t want to get ripped off.

I went to Liberty Diamonds. Their main office is in Irvine, but they have an "appointment only" satellite store at the LAJD. If you go to their web site HERE you get make an appointment for the LAJD. Ask specifically for Troy!! We just bought a diamond form him and thought he was great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results