shape
carat
color
clarity

experience with snaptite type settings and a question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I keep asking so many questions of you all
emembarrassed.gif
My neighbor is willing to set my aquamarine so I can have my engagement ring without waiting literally for years for my fiance to afford a setting. She makes jewellry on her etsy shop, but this is her first time setting a ring in one of these type of settings. Is it easy to use these types of settings? Would it be a bad or good idea to put some glue under the prongs to keep it from falling out? I''m not sure about her glue idea.. >.<

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glue? Oh my....
There are LOTS of inexpensive settings online...
Snap tites are for small cheap citrines, or cheap amethysts....not for engagement rings.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Snaptites =
38.gif

Put a "can''t mention it here" in one and it fell out.
29.gif

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

I know! I echoed that same sentiment that you ladies had when she said glue myself because I've never heard of glue being used in rings before. I trust her judgement when it comes to beading and stringing implicitly but her ring making skills are lacking at the moment until she gets supplies together and can cast rings herself. (She is a sculptor as well) I have a jeweller I usually work with he's just expensive out the butt and I was hoping to avoid using him, but you guys are right. This is too important and the glue seems like it would be awful for my stone!!

I had just figured he was going to upgrade me in a few years to a diamond setting and a sapphire main stone anyways that it would be alright to use a setting like that for this.

Thank you all so much for your input! I had figured Pricescope would know best!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You can find silver ring settings for literally 2 or 3 dollars on Ebay, or even a simple gold setting for $40 on Ebay from Liebcor and have someone set it locally. I wouldn''t use snap-tites for rings for rings ever. Good luck, and let us know if you need help finding a setting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even put an cheapie aquamarine in it. I've seen those on TV and it's a matter of time before the stone drops out. I'd rather get engaged without a ring then have a snap type setting. When a person looks at it, it doesn't give the connonation/feeling of an e-ring. And please, no glue. There are a lot of inexpensive settings out there that can be set for a very small fee ($50 or so).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a basic solitaire mounting and have a jeweler set it for you.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 6:44:49 PM
Author: Arcadian
Glue
23.gif
LOL - this was my exact response when I read the word "glue"

I second using american set. Alex is great to work with and he will set your stone for $35 if you sent it to them. I had my Richard Homer aqua set by them last year and I was happy with the result.

I wouldn''t use a snap type setting, especially not for an ering that would be worn everyday. You''re just setting yourself up for heart break in losing a stone if you do.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 10:02:47 PM
Author: Chrono
I wouldn't even put an cheapie aquamarine in it. I've seen those on TV and it's a matter of time before the stone drops out. I'd rather get engaged without a ring then have a snap type setting. When a person looks at it, it doesn't give the connonation/feeling of an e-ring. And please, no glue. There are a lot of inexpensive settings out there that can be set for a very small fee ($50 or so).

I would, only because I don't like cheapie aquas, and I would hope I lost it!! LOL!
25.gif
Those snaptights are junk!

If you want an inexpensive setting, LOGR makes nice ones for cheap. I have Liebcor, and the workmanship isn't as good as LOGR if you can believe that. LOGR is an ebay store - Lord of the Gem Rings (LOGR).

http://shop.ebay.com/lord_of_gem_rings/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200

For me, LOGR is a better value than Liebcor. I don't have an American Set to compare. LOGR will set stones, but I think you have to send it to China, and that's expensive.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Plus the simple fact it will give the "my fiance'' is cheap" message. Snap tights just ooze cheap, costume jewelry vibes. I got engaged w/o a ring, and married with a simple band. Took me a year after marriage to get an engagement ring. It was small, but it was a quality ring I could show off with pride.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Very true! Everyone has good points and I''m glad you all made them because I was incredulous as well. I looked at the Lord of the gem rings and didn''t see much in the way of 7x5 ovals. Are there any other suggestions? I took a leap and went out to a jeweler I don''t usually use and he sells a white gold 14k setting for 145, four prongs, if I can''t find anything else I will go with that I think. Defenitely more than I was hoping to pay but doable in a few months after I pull my credit card debt down a bit. Unless I manage something better of course.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and I''m looking for something thin and plain. No side diamonds and white metal, probaly white gold in 2 mm if I can get away with it because my wedding band that I wear is 2 mm

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just curious--what is your budget?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Frekechild: Well the lower the better really, but probably 175/200 at highest if it's a GOOD setting. I have the 145 one in mind if we can't find anything better than that. One of the island jewelers has a catalogue that he gets his semi mounts from for customers who don't want or can't afford to go comepletely custom.

Btw I appreciate the advice and help from everybody who has replied!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d look into Liebcor on ebay. I''ve gotten a couple of settings from them (4 prong and 6 prong solitaires) and been pleased with the final product for the price. I think for a plain solitaire with a 2mm shank, that''s a workable budget.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your budget is tight but Shirazjewellers on ebay has a setting which is simple, white but with yellow gold "shoulders" and is very elegant. The asking price is $ 520 or B.O. and my experience is that with B.O. you could significantly lower the price, somethimes to 1/3 of the asking price. They have too many things on sale there. There are some smaller sellers there that sell pre-made settings, many of them are from US I saw a very nice setting with two diamonds - they just did not have the solitaire, I forgot whether it was Shiraz or Javdajewelry but it was in the same range or B.O. Javdajewelry is more expensive but they also have B.O. and a sale now. Do not glue the stones - it takes away all the fire and you still have to pay for the work!
P.S. They also sell used settings on ebay. For me, gold is still gold.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, forget about Shiraz - they gave me $ 100 overhead for setting my stone and resizing, I think it is too much. These jewellers in China who sell on ebay are much cheaper, even if you upgrade the diamonds or gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results