shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience w/ online diamond & BM setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to hear from anyone who decided to buy a loose stone online (I am thinking of using WF), but then bought the setting from a B&M (the setting I like is at Shane Co).

How was the experience and the whole process?

Did you have the online vendor or the B&M set the stone (how much did it cost?)

Were you happy with your decision?

What would you do different?

I am trying to gain as much info for my FF b/c I think he would be more comfortable buying the entire ring from a B&M, but I know he will get more for his money online. The more info I have to provide for him the better. Initially, I was going to help choose the setting and the stone, but now he is leaning towards suprising me. I still don''t know if he will surprise me with a "pretend" ring and we will design and buy the real one together, or if he will surprise me with the entire ring already mounted. So, if he goes for latter, I want to make sure he has as much info as possibe.

THANKS!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t go this route but I would suggest ordering the setting from shane co. and then sending it to WF and have them set your stone. Unless, it''s a designer setting, then I think you''re better off having the stone sent to the actual designer.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. The designer, Leiberfarb, does not sell to the public. The Shane Co sells it here in ATL. So, you suggest choosing a stone, then having the Shane Co order the setting according to the specs, then sending the ring to WF for setting the stone?

Would you have WF send you the stone to look at beofre you have it set?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 8:50:06 PM
Author: mintve
Thanks. The designer, Leiberfarb, does not sell to the public. The Shane Co sells it here in ATL. So, you suggest choosing a stone, then having the Shane Co order the setting according to the specs, then sending the ring to WF for setting the stone?

Would you have WF send you the stone to look at beofre you have it set?

Does leiberfarb have a warranty on their settings that becomes void if someone else sets the stone? would shane co. send the stone if you bought it from them to leiberfarb to set or set it in house? we have just seen so many designer settings get messed up when others try to set them that I usually recommend having the vendor you''re buying the setting from (shane co.) send your diamond off to be set. But, WF is highly respected and set a few stones in other designers settings successfully and they are probably one company i''d chance it and let them set the stone since it''s valued a lot higher than the setting, even if it voids the settings warranty. As for having WF send the stone, personally, I probably would not. they provide so much info that I can pretty much know based on the #''s if I''d like it, plus I trust them. I''d probably want to talk to Brian or John Q and have them eyeball the stone for me, but would really trust their eyes completely.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I would check with Shane first to make sure that they will do this. I looked at Ritani settings there, and they ONLY sell them pre-set with their own diamonds (don''t ask me why, it makes no sense.)

I bought my stone from WF and my Ritani setting from my local B&M. Because of the design of my setting, my stone had to be sent to Ritani to make the ring and set the stone. I was extremely happy with the WF piece, and I got to have my stone independently appraised when it was unset, which is great peace of mind. The one thing I didn''t like was the attitude I got from my local jeweler - they were VERY put out about working with my internet diamond. However, for all of their rudeness, they did not charge a setting fee or anything additional for working with a stone that wasn''t theirs, and the ring came out great.

Overall, it was a bit more work than buying the whole thing at a B&M, but I got a much nicer stone for much less money, which is pretty hard to beat.

Hope that helps!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I had a very fine local jeweler set my online diamond. I would NOT let just anyone set my stone. You might want to do a search on here for Shane Co. to see if there are any references. But I will tell you that you will get a MUCH nicer stone for a MUCH nicer price from an online vendor like WF. Can you show us a picture of the setting? We might know of one that is similar.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
This is the setting. I would get just the E-ring, not the WB. (We may get the WB custome done) I know this is an x=prong or trellis setting and WF has a similar style, but its not the same and I''ve read many people write that if you like the designer and can afford it, get the original. In this case, the desgienr is even less expensive than a WF custom and I like it better.

I asked Shane Co and they will set the stone. They charge $1 per point. I am a looking at 1.25 carat, so $125. The their warranty would cover the setting (rpongs, polishing, side stones coming loose, etc), as well as their craftsmanship is setting the stone. But if I lose the stone or it chips or cracks, etc, they do not cover that. If I buy a stone from the shane co, they will cover that. that is the main difference.

LF setting.jpg

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a similar WF ring

WF trellis.jpg

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
here is my "editted" version of the Lieberfarb setting

LF trellis.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I agree i like the original better than the WF version. If shane co was going to set it, I''d just go ahead and have the setting sent to WF and let them do it. don''t worry about shane co''s insurance offer, just get your own policy through chubb, jewelers mutual or you can get a rider added to your home owners or renters insurance.

mikebzt

Rough_Rock
my .02 is that you can''t go wrong with WF. Buy the stone from them and have them set it for you.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info. I will add this to my "e-ring envelope" for my FF :)

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other option to consider is.... That almost all of the online vendors can get almost all non-custom settings.

Whiteflash may have their own personal favorite settings... But, if you can identify (or supply a picture) they may know exactly where to get the setting from - and would be able to set all stones (including the melee stones) so that you have a great ring (ever see dead melee sidestones... I have).

Be aware that there are different qualities (solidness, workmanship) out there.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results