shape
carat
color
clarity

everyone says something different...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

confusedtoo

Rough_Rock
but what is the right answer?!

i keep getting talked down to by (sorry, guys) various men in this business. if i hear ''i''ve been in this business x amount of years'' with the ''you must be an idiot'' implied in their voices one more time, i''m going to scream! :)

i''m definitely leaning towards whiteflash over blue nile bec they have a buy back and trade up policy whereas blue nile doesn''t. however, they also only have a ten day money back policy. someone i talked to today was implying that i might see light leakage after ten days - then what. is it really going to take that long? i plan to have the diamond independently appraised both before and after setting.

i''ve done copious amounts of reading both on this forum and others. i''ve read the book ''how to buy a diamond''. i''ve done tons of searches...

i guess my real question is this: should i be able to find a well cut diamond below the wholesale prices listed in ''how to buy a diamond'' through an online dealer or not?

i''m told not (that online dealers are clearing houses for diamonds no one else wants, etc) but i would swear that i''ve seen some (and i''m taking into account pavilion/crown angles, degrees, etc and running them through the hca on this site...)

thank you!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh, you''ll notice if your diamond sucks or not well before 10 days.

Id go with Whiteflash over Blue Nile anyday, mainly because I KNOW the ACA stones are high quality and sometimes those BN ideal cuts really are not ideal.

Don''t stress yourself out!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It may be just semantics, but you can NEVER buy a diamond as a consumer, an end user, BELOW wholesale. Wholesale is ONLY a range of prices paid by re-sellers. It isn't a single dollar amount, it varies. Retail, no matter how low, is never less than all wholesale pricing. An excellent retail price may be lower than some higher wholesale prices, but unless the market is in distress, you cannot buy a diamond for less than what it cost the dealer.....This is reality.

Looking for an excellent value along with beauty is commendable, but getting hooked on buying at an impossible price level dooms the success of the mission. You need to think excellent value, excellent appearance, and excellent service in order to really get the real "deal".

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey Confusedtoo,

I went through the same thing when I went to stores in the mall. I bought an Expert Selection diamond from Whiteflash. Both Renee and John were very helpful. I didn''t need 10 days to figure out if I wanted to keep the diamond or not. We picked up the package, opened it in the car, both of us stared at it amazed (because it was the most beautiful thing we''d ever seen), and then took it home as fast as we could. I had it for a few days before we sent it to Leon Mege to be set, and it only looked more beautiful as the week went on.

I''m not sure what you mean by "wholesale price" but the WF price was excellent. Canadian Mall stores I went to gave me a price of $9 200 USD for a 1.3 carat diamond of similar carat and clarity (however they offered NO info on cut). My boyfriend paid substantially less for my diamond. I think WF will work with you to arrange an appraisal before the 10 day expiration date (but I''m not sure) so you might want to call them.

Good luck with your diamond search
35.gif

confusedtoo

Rough_Rock
i''m not trying to find the impossible deal or anything - i just want to be an educated buyer so i''m asking questions so i can make the best decision.

but a question for all appraisers, if you don''t mind.

i keep reading horror stories about diamonds not matching their certificates, etc etc. how often (what percentage, maybe?) would you say a diamond is found to not match the cert, be treated when the buyer isn''t told, or any of the other bad things that could happen?

thank you.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that you''ve been patronized by some jewelers. What a strange business tactic, but I guess it works sometimes.

If you do a search for the author of How to Buy a Diamond here, you''ll find that he has dubious credibility and has made up some terms like warped and bonded that are not used in the industry that basically result in people calling him up to find a diamond that meets the nitpicky specifications he claims are required to have an ideal cut diamond (for instance . . . he says all diamonds with depths over 61% are warped, which is just hogwash). You''ll also find that "the diamond guy" was convicted of first degree felony theft in a diamond investment scam.

But anyway, it''s good to arm yourself with as much information as you can. That way, you can find the best quality for your budget. The good thing about the internet is that the vendors aren''t trying to get you to buy by revealing as little information as possible about the stone. That might work when you''re already in a store and they''re thinking they can get you to pay x for the stone, so they tell you it''s an "ideal cut" just because the GIA report gives it ideal for symmetry and polish or something. But online, vendors need to provide as much information about the stone for you to feel comfortable buying. And since you can just go to another site and check out the prices there, the prices stay competitive.

Is it possible to get a better deal than the internet? Of course, but it will take a lot of work and luck.

I don''t understand the comment that you''ll see light leakage after ten days. Nothing that can''t be fixed with cleaning your ring will change. The stone will either have good light return or not. And if you''re getting an ideal cut stone and have all the other cut info, I don''t see how you can go wrong.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 12:31:24 PM
Author:confusedtoo
but what is the right answer?!

i keep getting talked down to by (sorry, guys) various men in this business. if i hear ''i''ve been in this business x amount of years'' with the ''you must be an idiot'' implied in their voices one more time, i''m going to scream! :)
i know exactly how you feel....i mean really
38.gif
argh..even thinking about some of the experiences i''ve had like that make me cringe.

i''m definitely leaning towards whiteflash over blue nile bec they have a buy back and trade up policy whereas blue nile doesn''t. however, they also only have a ten day money back policy. someone i talked to today was implying that i might see light leakage after ten days - then what. is it really going to take that long? i plan to have the diamond independently appraised both before and after setting.
you can look at the idealscope pics on the whiteflash to determine light leakage in a specific stone, but be assured 10 days is plenty of time to decide whether or not you love it.

i''m told not (that online dealers are clearing houses for diamonds no one else wants, etc) but i would swear that i''ve seen some (and i''m taking into account pavilion/crown angles, degrees, etc and running them through the hca on this site...)

thank you!!!
whiteflash has their own line of branded stones sourced directly from the siteholder. they are definitely not a clearing house.

you have done your homework. you will find a beautiful stone. don''t doubt yourself! best of luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay take a deep breath. It sounds like you are getting alot of information from multiple sources and not sure what to believe. It can be awfully confusing. One thing is true, online dealers are NOT clearing houses for diamonds no one else wants (look at all the amazing diamond rings people posted here). The information that the well regarded internet stores list on their diamonds can make you a more educated consumer, let you know more about the diamond and its light performance than a typical stone you would be shown at in a bricks and mortar store. Because there is nowhere to hide, it levels the playing field because people can compare and contrast similar stones from different stores at their leisure when making their decision. Therefore the prices are extremely competitive for the quality. But can you find a deal at or below wholesale? I don''t think so. However, is that your objective, or is the point to get the most beautiful diamond you can get for your budget. My other two cents, if it is between Blue Nile and Whiteflash (I''ve purchased from both) for a big ticket item I would choose whiteflash, because you will know much more about the quality of the cut of the diamonds which is SO important.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results