shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever switch hairdressers, same salon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why I was thinking of this today. Well, maybe I do. I need a haircut, and after two years of living in South Florida, and trying all of the salons around here I still cannot find stylists as good as in NY. I actually got a few bad haircuts - even though all the salons I tried are upscale.

Anyway - got me thinking about the time in NY when I got up the courage to actually switch stylists within the same salon. I tried to do it "on the DL" haha by purposely making an appointment when I knew my current stylist wasn't in, and just asking for someone else. I ended up really liking the haircut (and the change) so I just stuck with the new one.

But it was a stressful experience! I felt so guilty, and it took a while before I ever felt comfortable having made the switch - but I really liked the salon and didn't want to go anywhere else. I just wanted a change.

Have any of ever done that? And did you find it hard to do?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I did the exact same thing. Called for an appointment when I knew my old stylist didn''t work. Kept doing it for a looooong while, until everyone was used to me going to the new gal.

It''s so weird though! It''s like breaking up with someone and dating his best friend, LOL!

Which I''ve done. I take that back. The latter sucks more.
2.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I''m doing this tomorrow at my nail salon. I''ve been going to my girl (Nikki) for about a year now faithfully every two weeks.

When I called in to schedule my appointment with the new girl, the receptionist actually called me out and said "I thought you were Nikki''s client". Eeek!!

Hopefully there will not be hurt feelings tomorrow. I''m hoping that Nikki will be out tomorrow.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, this sucks.
7.gif

I could understand how you wouldn''t want to hurt your current stylist''s feelings, but you really admire the work of someone else at the same salon. I don''t think there''s any "good" way to do this . . . I guess you just have to bite the bullet. I really like my stylist, but the guy at the station next to hers seems really nice and does a fantastic job! I can''t say I haven''t been tempted to go to him once or twice, but when I really think about it, I don''t think he''d do any better of a job than my current stylist . . . who has been doing my hair for about 15 years!!!
23.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does cause a lot of friction and hurt feelings in the salon.
Some gals have got into fist fights in the parking over a client at my sisters salon.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 4:56:05 PM
Author: strmrdr
It does cause a lot of friction and hurt feelings in the salon.
Some gals have got into fist fights in the parking over a client at my sisters salon.
Oh, no!!! That doesn't make me feel any better. At least this is a $30 manicure, not a hair cut and color upwards of $100.

That being said...my regular girl made a couple of snide comments about me doing my own pedicures (I don't like people touching my feet) and about my being late one time. So, that's really the only reason I'm switching to the new girl. I just want someone more pleasant (even though she does a great job).

Claudinam, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I do feel pretty bad about it already, though.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''ve definitely thought about it, but never had the courage to do it. My regular stylist has been doing my hair for over 20 years, but she takes Mondays off. Every holiday Monday, I get the stylist who gives me a more up-to-date look. I''ve even gone as far as telling my stylist that I like the way so-and-so does my hair, but she just can''t seem to copy it (or come even close
8.gif
)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That is SOOOO hard because hairstylists are a rare breed. They LOVE hair. Truly. It is their passion so they take it very personally when you switch. The one time I did it within a salon, I gave him a really nice gift and note thanking him for the wonderful styles he had given me but I felt I wanted to try something new. It was also hard because when I went away to college, I''d visit my family back home and get a touch up at that salon and he could tell I had cut my hair elsewhere. Eeek!

It really is like breaking up with someone! It''s sooooo hard. And it''s kind of sad, too!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds this hard to do!

The stylist I switched from had been doing my hair for years. But aside from just wanting a change, sometimes it would annoy me that she talked non-stop through the whole thing - especially after a long day at work, I wanted to relax but couldn't. Anyway after I tried the new stylist I did tell her I was going to switch, that it was nothing personal, that I always loved her haircuts, but just wanted a change and I had liked what the new girl had done. She was gracious when I told her, but was never the same with me afterwards. Plus I got the feeling that she didn't at all like the stylist I had switched to, so that made it a lot harder. It was very awkward.

I'd do it again if I had to, but I'd really rather not have to do that ever again. For now I'm just switching from salon to salon.
40.gif

Giada - it won't be comfortable...but you'll be OK. Do you think if Nikki is there, she might ask you straight out why you're using someone else? (I'm thinking if she isn't pleasant she might not think twice to put you in that spot?) I think you have a valid reason for wanting someone else - you want someone more pleasant, which you're entitled to, especially if you get your nails done every two weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results