shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever heard of Natural Blue Topaz w/ Nickel content?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Ok, as I continue searching for a nice natural blue topaz, I came across this particular item.

It says it''s a 100% natural blue topaz with Nickel content from Ceylon.

Ever heard about this "nickel-bearing" Natural Blue Topaz????

helpful Info, opinions, recommendations and other comments are highly welcome
5.gif

Here are the vendor''s photos:

N_Blue_Topaz.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
and the last one...

N_Blue_Topaz4.jpg

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
I am aware of only a few gemstone materials that are colored by nickel: gaspeite, chrysoprase and (sometimes) peridot. But if you analyse a sample with a sufficiently sensitive spectrometer, possibly many gemstones have tiny trace amounts of nickel.

Naturally-occuring blue topaz is rare, and the known specimens tend to be a pale blue. Almost all the commercially available blue topaz is the product of irradiation and heat treatment. This is especially true of the darker tones (sometimes called "london blue") like the one in your photos.

If this gem is from a reputable dealer, it would be good to ask the dealer for more information about it. But if it''s an eBay stone, it would mostly likely be an irradiated topaz with a story.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice picture but here''s my take on the real meaning:
Natural blue = yes, it''s a real topaz that is blue but has it been treated? The question of treatment is well evaded.
Nickle bearing = how much? Is it just trace amount? Other gemstones also have trace amounts of nickle. Is this just another point in romancing the stone to make a sale or ask for higher prices?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 7:01:25 AM
Author: morecarats
I am aware of only a few gemstone materials that are colored by nickel: gaspeite, chrysoprase and (sometimes) peridot. But if you analyse a sample with a sufficiently sensitive spectrometer, possibly many gemstones have tiny trace amounts of nickel.

Naturally-occuring blue topaz is rare, and the known specimens tend to be a pale blue. Almost all the commercially available blue topaz is the product of irradiation and heat treatment. This is especially true of the darker tones (sometimes called ''london blue'') like the one in your photos.

If this gem is from a reputable dealer, it would be good to ask the dealer for more information about it. But if it''s an eBay stone, it would mostly likely be an irradiated topaz with a story.
Thank you MC for your response. Actually, I was really hoping that you''d post in this thread. I agree, this "natural" blue topaz seems to be unusual for its saturation. Almost all natural blue topaz that I''ve seen from rep. sellers are very pale/light blue & this one is different. It resembles a London blue topaz hehe. Also, the seller replied to my email just today and he was honest that he hasn''t had it tested or anything. He just told me he got if from a rep. dealer and he was lucky to get 8 pieces of this material. So there... Guess I''m gonna pass on with this "blue" topaz too. Thanks anyways. Happy Holidays!
2.gif

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 9:04:13 AM
Author: Chrono

Nice picture but here''s my take on the real meaning:
Natural blue = yes, it''s a real topaz that is blue but has it been treated? The question of treatment is well evaded.
Nickle bearing = how much? Is it just trace amount? Other gemstones also have trace amounts of nickle. Is this just another point in romancing the stone to make a sale or ask for higher prices?
The seller claims that when he bought it from his trusted dealer, it was sold a 100% natural material from Sri Lanka. As for the Nickel content, he didn''t mentioned if it''s just trace amount or not... Also, he hadn''t tested it or have it certified to be sure that it''s untreated (for real). So there. Thank you for your sensible response. Appreciated same with MC.

Happy holidays
35.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/20/2009 6:44:05 PM
Author: blithesome71

Date: 12/20/2009 9:04:13 AM
Author: Chrono

Nice picture but here's my take on the real meaning:
Natural blue = yes, it's a real topaz that is blue but has it been treated? The question of treatment is well evaded.
The seller claims that when he bought it from his trusted dealer, it was sold a 100% natural material from Sri Lanka. As for the Nickel content, he didn't mentioned if it's just trace amount or not... Also, he hadn't tested it or have it certified to be sure that it's untreated (for real). So there. Thank you for your sensible response. Appreciated same with MC.

Happy holidays
35.gif
AKA "My dealer says it is 100% natural, and I am trusting him...so if it comes back as treated/fake/irradieated its not my fault its my dealers". That responce would have made me say See ya! I also stay away from claims of 'content' on ebay inless it comes certified by a reputable lab. I can put a diamond on ebay right now, say it has trace amounts of gold in it and I have a 99% chance someone with no way to test it will pay my inflated premium for my 'rare' diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irradiated stones are still natural, they''re just not natural in color. So if he''s selling you natural blue topaz, he''s probably not lying. If he''s selling you "untreated" natural blue topaz, then I''d be suspect for that color. I highly believe this is just "romaticizing the stone" as Chrono said, especially with all the hoopala about copper bearing tourmalines. Natural untreated blue topaz does exist, like the one that Cind11 just purchaesd from Gary Braun, but it''s very light in color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results