shape
carat
color
clarity

evening colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, on reading "incandescent light" I always presumed it was a regular 40-100 watts light bulb. But now everyone is using energy-saving bulbs. Unfortunately my recessed light sockets are not suitable for the bulbs so I have to use old one and the overhead light at my work is ...um... But since the trend is obvious, do you think it may change the "evening" colors of the gems, and how?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hoard my incandescent lights...lol Incandescents is what I put in places like the bathroom. I made my husband re replace the two that he put in that made me look a gastly gray color
32.gif
those are for the basement, not like i care what the light is like down there as long as I can see! I get sylvania full spectrum from home depot. I''m afraid to say I only use the energy savers in the basement. (they''re terrible for light IMO)

You CAN get full spectrum fluros but they can cost a bit of money. The ones in my office are full spectrum Hi def tubes. at 14 bucks each they were pricey but they''re also good for 2 years. unfortunately though they suck for gemstones (which is why I never take pics in my office!!) but very good for rendering exact colors. I buy them online since buying them in town would cost way more.

If good color is important to to you, definitly look up full spectrum lighting.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Arcadian! I even considered buying a bright light lamp - they say it mimics sunlight - good way to treat depression, too. Don't know if they would be "gentle" on my gems, though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SAD lamps? they're quite stong but do put out one hell of a blast of light! lol My husband uses one in the winter its a verilux. I don't think I would put my gems in front of one though mainly because how strong the lamp is.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Arcadian!
I shall follow your advice. You are THE PHOTOGRAPHER - you know about light.
On a side note, now I understand why my makeup looks so nice in my bathroom and so...eh...not nice at my work.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just read another article in the paper today about CFL (compact fluorescent lights) where they failed to mention how terrible colors look.
7.gif

Several years ago we stayed in a hotel room with CFLs that had absolutely no red in the light spectrum at all. Not only did my ruby turn brown, every red shade turned brown, be it in your clothing, in a magazine, or on your skin. It was hideous, and my husband has joined me in refusing to use these in our home. Our daughter is an artist, and she finds it impossible to work under such lighting conditions. It will be a sad day when we have to say good-bye to the color red every night at sunset.
14.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are various types of CFL. Those at my office are very unforgiving and only the very finest of my gems look good. Those of average quality stand no chance. My pediatrician’s CFLs seem to be a different type where everything looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results