shape
carat
color
clarity

Ethical question, BM vs Online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oshelef

Rough_Rock
So, I've been in the market for diamond. Looking both online and in person. One store, with whom I feel comfortable, has spent sometime with me looking at stones, settings, etc... They brought in a couple stones and I took a look at them, and said I would think about it.

So I went on pricescope to see the pricing, and I can find what I believe to be the SAME stone on pricescope for about 20-25%. Its one of those stones that several websites list, for almost the same price. It has exactly the same carat, color, clarity, depth, table, symmetry, polish and measurements.

Now this price is about 20-25% less than what he quoted me. And I would have to pay sales tax if I buy locally.

Now I understand there is little they can do about sales tax, and I don't mind paying extra for the time, and service, but 20-25% is a lot more than the couple hours are worth.

Do I, tell them I found the same stones online? Say no thanks, and then buy them myself online? Ask them to match, or get close to online prices?

Thanks.

P.S. They have a setting, that they designed that is very similar to what I had in mind for a custom setting, and I feel comfortable with them, so even if I did get a diamond online, even a different one, I would be tempted to take it to them to set and probably get the setting from them.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Before I undercut someone who had been over the top nice to me, I would see if they would negotiate. A lot of stores will, but they will wait to be asked first.
2.gif
They may not be able to price match, but somewhere between the two prices should be fair considering their time and help. Just my opinion.

Shay

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. i would try to see if you can work something out with them, especially since they have been so helpful and you want to do business with them now and in the future.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
And there you have Pricescope.

I would agree with the answers above. Despite the feel good approaches suggested though, what''s required I think are a combination of skill and assessment. It''s not so much a question then of ethics, but of working reasonably with the information you have (and to include your vendor who has helped you, and that you can readily include in the problem solving process). With respect to assessment, you should consider the value of working with them, now and also in the future, and what that is worth to you. The skill part is just figuring out how to get this done, and not appear to be an idiot, or to be trying to fleese them, in the process. Managing to tell the truth will ultimately be your best approach, but still, I don''t think it''s going to be easy.

Best regards,

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
P.S. They have a setting, that they designed that is very similar to what I had in mind for a custom setting, and I feel comfortable with them, so even if I did get a diamond online, even a different one, I would be tempted to take it to them to set and probably get the setting from them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more progressive B and M stores are more than happy to help you with a custom setting. It''s a two way street and also
a win-win situation for both you and the store. If you need a small repair (tighten prong, etc.) they will be there to help.
It''s alot like establishing a good relationship with a local auto mechanic. They are invaluable when you need a professional
job done quickly.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

oshelef

Rough_Rock
Seems like I posted this I was already heading this way. I can talk to them, and ask if there prices are negotiable, and then if yes, say look, this is what I see for it online. and I respect that you probably can''t match, but let me know what they can do, and go from there.

I won''t fleece them (remember, they won''t sell it to me at a loss) and I would rather have them have the profit margin that the other online stores are getting (remember, they make a profit too) And given the time, etc... i would be willing to pay, a few hundred dollars more in person, plus giving them the business on the setting, etc...

Now I just need to:
- decide on white gold vs platinum,
- decide on my setting
- make my mind up on the stone

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you''ve already headed in the right direction. I, too, would be candid with your local jeweler. He has spent time in good faith trying to find a stone that you will be happy with. For me, that should earn him the honesty to say "I have seen this very stone online, and I''d like to do business with you, but there is a significant price difference. Can you work on price with me?"

It seems like you are already reasonably minded (realizing that there is value in seeing the stone in person and not holding him hostage on the sales tax thing), so I think you are very much on the right track. If I were the jeweler, I would hope for this kind of courtesy and candor, too.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results