shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity Band - closed? is this okay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trin

Rough_Rock
HI,
I just purchased my wedding eternity band. It is a size 4 with .07 diamonds and i love the size. it is not quite shared prong. There are actually three prongs surronding each diamond. can''t really explain it. the jeweler i got it from was a family friend and gave us a good deal. something is bothering me. when i looked at the tiffany rings i noticed that the side of the ring was open, you could see the point of each diamond. Mine is closed and only a little hole at the bottom of the band. is this normal. i am afraid i am going to lose light reflection. the jeweler said that he can''t do anything and that is how it comes. i am tempted to get a new setting. am i overreacting?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
eternity bands come in different styles. the most common is one like this one from signedpieces.

14991.jpg

you can also have them basket set like Yellowfans ring

lorieternity.jpg

otherwise, i''m not quite sure what you mean by "open." anyway, your ring sound lovely
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep as mrsssalvo notes, they can come in different settings and styles. the first one she posted is the common shared prong with closed sides and just a hole in the bottom. i have seen ones more like the basket as well but they are not as common IMO. so if he just has something in his case, then it makes sense it''s a closed side one. the basket one that mrss posted was a custom job i think.

in any case you shouldn''t lose light return because light should not be coming from the bottom. with a diamond, especially if it''s well cut, light enters the top, refracts inside the stone and then shoots back out the top. light does not enter from the bottom or sides and then shoot out the top. or it shouldn''t anyway but maybe with not as well cut stones it may help to have more sides open.

i have a 10 stone shared prong with closed sides from eBay for $250 or something and it''s pretty darn sparkly even though I can TELL that the stones are not well-cut. so in reality I think you''d be fine but you have to feel comfortable with it.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results