shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate Jewelry Piece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kinikanik

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

Today I purchased a 1.11 Carat Marquise Diamond Engagement Ring for my girlfriend from an Estate Jewelry store. The diamond was graded by a GIA grad as 1.11 carat with I color and VS2 clarity, but there is no certificate. The store would have sent out for a cert but it would take too long as I''m proposing next week. I purchased the diamond for $4500 without a certificate. Do you think I made a wrong move? The store has been in business for over 30 years and both jewlers are GIA grads. I compared the diamond to other GIA diamonds in the store, and this diamond was just as good or better. Can someone tell me if I did good?

Thanks

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome. You might get more response if you post in "Rocky Talky" instead.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds a little high to me for an estate piece. But did your girlfriend ask for a marquise stone? If she didn''t, I would not choose marquise because they are not really in favor right now. But if that''s what she wanted, it might be okay. Can you have it appraised and return it if it was not a good deal?

kinikanik

Rough_Rock
She loves Marquise diamonds so I know she will like the diamond. I saw comparable prices of Marquise Diamonds online for these prices. Does jewelry from an estate make it more valuable or less valuable?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
An estate piece will go up in value under the following factors:

1. It has a notable designer or signature of where it was made. Ex: Cartier, Van Cleef, Tiffany, Pablo Picasso, etc.
2. It is of an older era, earlier than the 1950's.
3. Provenance: meaning it was previously owned by an important person, or had a notable story attached to it.
4. Quality is very high, like colorless and VS or better, with excellent craftsmanship (made in France gets more value) on old pieces.
5. The materials or style is either unique or no longer used, or the process is important in some way, like natural pearls or ivory or an original invisible setting of stones.
6. The style is one of a kind (should be by a designer) and it is notable in that it is singular. Numbered pieces get more value, as well as original case, and any original paperwork.

Remember when buying "estate", either it is used goods that SHOULD be cheaper than new items (depending on the above factors not being present), or it is valuable and if the factors above exist, can go up in price. Just watch antiques roadshow!

Sounds like a lovely ring, don't worry about the value. I personally like the feel of older rings, as they have more character than a ring that was freshly minted off the presses! I am sure she will love it, and don't forget to post pictures!!!

P.S.- if she tires of the marquise, then the stone can be set into a lovely pendant. Marquise hang so well from the neck, especially in a micro-pavé setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results