shape
carat
color
clarity

Engraved platinum bands--polishing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this band, but I also like to have my platinum polished every now and then.

How does that work with such intricate engraving?

BND_A_20601 018.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was unacceptably small.

BND_A_20601 018-1.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love this one, too
30.gif

BND_A_21261 3.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should clarify my question--will I need to send it back to the original jeweler to have it polished? Or is this old hat to any reputable platinumsmith?

I found this very recent thread, it's discussed but not really answered.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh they are gorgeous! Where are they from?

I was wondering the polishing thing too... I hope someone answers the question!

I love one this one too
30.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hey Musey, are those from Greenlake? They''re beautiful. AS for whether you''d have to send them back to the original jeweler for polishing, I really doubt it. I''ve had my heavily engraved plat rings polished twice in the past 1 1/2 years, once at the original jeweler and once at a local mom and pop jeweler and I could see no difference. They are 90/10 Irid. plat., which keeps a polish better than other alloys to begin with, so they probably didn''t even really need to be polished. I''d taken them in for a (free) cleaning and prong check anyway, so when they asked if I wanted polishing as well I said sure.

The engraving hides all those little scratches better too. the bottom of my e-ring is flat and is much more scuffed up than the carved w-band.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I should add a caveat, since I''m not sure how extensive the "polishing" was at the local place, it may just have been a light buffing with a polishing compound of some kind. I should have asked.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Selkie!! Yes, they're both from greenlake. It's good to know that polishing likely wouldn't be a problem! And good point about the engraving hiding scratches, I hadn't thought of that.

This engraved band idea is growing on me
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results