shape
carat
color
clarity

English Bulldog - Anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hey folks

My DH and I.........sorry, I''ve always wanted an English Bulldog and I''ve been doing my research online and I would love to talk to some owners. I''ve been searching for registered breeders and clubs for information and typically found that they are one of the most expensive breeds. I am looking for a pet and not a show dog but there are so many breeders who''s pups are bred solely for showing and that increaces the price again.

What I want to know is who has a bulldog and what advice you can give me? I used to have a golden labrador but his needs will be different from this breed of dog I''m sure.

Oh and if you have pics that you can share.

Check this wee guy out.

English Bulldog Pup.jpg

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My brother and his wife had one. They got her from the breed rescue. I think she was about 2 when they adopted her. She definitely had some medical issues over the years that they spent a fortune on... breathing problems that required surgery, and she also had what was essentially a stroke and had to be treated for that. She lived through it, but they said it was all extremely expensive. She was a great dog, but when they had a disabled baby they felt they couldn''t give her the attention she needed so the rescue took her back. My brother felt horrible about it, but the lady from the rescue said there was a feature of the breed that made rescue easy... they have terrible memories! As soon as she got into the front seat of the minivan to ride away she had essentially forgotten them. Don''t know if it''s true or not, but she was ok with leaving her family!

VERY expensive breed, but great dogs in general. Just be aware that the cost of the puppy is only a fraction of the life''s expense for these dogs. Be prepared for hefty vet bills. And LOTS of snoring!

Heidi137

Shiny_Rock
Their average life span is only about eight years. I''ve never owned one although I know people who do. I think they''re cute but I''d pass due to the potential health issues and short life span. Have you ever considered a Boston Terrier?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that whatever additional money you might pay to a "show" breeder you should more than make up in saved vet bills over the lifetime of the dog. I know you said you want a pet dog and not a show dog, but the reason that breeders showing their dog is so important is that then the dogs are evaluated for how well they represent the breed and for how healthy (the show term is usually "sound") they are. Additionally, a reputable show breeder will do extensive health tests on any dogs they are going to actually breed, and this will help minimize the health problems of your future pup, and probably save you many $thousands down the road, as well as heartbreak, because your dog won''t develop nearly as many problems as a dog bred without doing those tests.

Also, just as an FYI, even when good show breeders cross two champions, most of the puppies won''t be good show prospects - only the very cream of the crop fall into that category, and the rest they will adopt out to good homes as pets.

Here is a good website with information on responsible breeding, etc...

I think if you have really done your homework and decided that an English Bulldog is a good fit for you and your household, then go for it - I know people who have them and adore them. The most important thing is that you make sure the breed you are getting is a good fit with your wants and lifestyle, and to get it from a reputable (yes, that usually means show) breeder - trust me, any extra cost now will be worth the reduced expenses and heartache down the road.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I know they have health problems but a lot of pedigree dogs tend to. Our labrador had quite a few problems and eventually died from doggy cancer after getting a large tumour in his mouth. I''ve heard they can live between 10-14 years. We will do our research and go to the best breeder if we do decide to go for a bulldog.

What''s a Boston terrier?

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
The picture you posted makes my heart melt!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
How about American Bulldog? ( big dog) I think they have less health issues.I could be wrong?
I like the breed they have lovely disposition but the health issues and the life span is not very good.
Any American Bulldog people ? to help out.Its much bigger dog so you may not consider them?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Po, close friends of ours went through a really rough time last year trying to get an English Bulldog. There were TONS of scams with English Bulldogs on the internet, lots of ads etc are from puppy mills and as mentioned, they''re very pricey.

Our friends ended up finding an English/American bulldog mix - they drove to a place about 8 hrs from were they live, and when they got there, it was basically a puppy mill. Their puppy was sick at first (tummy issue)...luckily, they had a lawyer in the fam who called the breeder and made her cover (most of) the vet bills - she insisted that it was just "nerves" - vet said it was actually a bacterial infection. Clearly, there are plenty of issues with purchasing from a puppy mill, so I don''t need to go into that...but it''s probably worth mentioning that part of their experience.

Now their dog is healthy and happy - and about 40 lbs! As a puppy, she had a LOT more energy than I guess English bulldogs do, but she''s a total sweetheart, very smart, and a great all-around dog. She''s a little bigger than an English Bulldog - her face doesn''t have quite the same wrinkles and she''s taller/leaner, but otherwise, looks very much like an English - same coloring, eyes, tail, etc. I believe that one of the draws too for the American/English mix is that they tend to have a longer lifespan and less health problems. I would definitely not rule out the mixed breed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results