shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring advice/help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grabloaa

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing an engagement ring and weighing the whole buying locally vs. online debate. I am looking at a budget of around $8,000 and based off of my girlfriend''s love of Tacori and love of sapphires I have choosen the following setting.

http://platinumweddingband.net/tacori/serendipity/serendip2c.htm

The price of the setting leaves me about $6,000 for the diamond, based on that cost I am considering something in the round 1.0-1.25 ct, G-H, SI1-SI2, very good - ideal cut range. So here are some options I am considering.

1) A local jeweler has quoted me $2,200 for the setting (if bought with the diamond of course) and $5,800 for a round 1.17ct., H, SI1, depth 60.8%, table 59%.

2) Buy the diamond online, and the setting locally. Maybe a diamond similar to these.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1137368.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1335307.htm

3) Buy both the diamond and setting online.

Just seeing what some thoughts are on those options. I am also interested in any feedback/experiences on buying SI2 online without being able to see if the inclusions may be visual to the naked eye. Also any recommended online Tacori retailers.

Thanks for the help.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could buy the setting here and then send it to wf to have them set this stone in it.
3.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
From the info you''ve given, the stone the jeweler is offering locally isn''t an AGS0.....the two online stones are, by the numbers, and both are stunning.

I''d call in and ask them to pull these two stones and tell you about the inclusions in each....where are they, what color, eyeclean, etc. I can vouch for WF telling the truth....my e-ring is a 1.25 H, SI2 and is totally eyeclean. I''ve purchased two other SI2 stones, also......all eyeclean. SI2 can represent an excellent value if you can get one eyeclean.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Tacori (which I love and your GF obviously has great taste
1.gif
) with sapphires in the setting as well, though it is a different ring. I think you just need to do the research and figure out where you can get a better stone the net or B&M. We bought my setting at a jewelry store and they were fine by the fact we didn''t buy the stone from them. I am sure you know that with Tacoris you need to have the stone first. They wouldn''t begin even making my setting before they had the exact dimensions. It also does take 4-6 weeks. So keep that in mind when you plan your proposal. Be sure to post a pic after it is made.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I second tacori e-ring

I too bought my stone on-line and then took it to a local jeweler to set in my tacori setting. The local jeweler didn''t have a problem at all - and if you''d like - Tacori will set your stone when they make the setting.

Tacori settings are usually handmade at the time you order and take about 5-6 weeks to get. At least for me.

You should be able to find a local jeweler that carries tacori - that won''t force you to buy the stone (if you don''t want it) to get the setting. Maybe you could go talk with the jeweler a little more and see if he''d change his mind.

grabloaa

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice so far,

I have found a jeweler locally who will sell me the tacori setting at a very fair price as compared to the online pricing I have seen, so I will definitely be buying the setting from them. I have also spoken with with whiteflash about 5-6 different diamonds ranging from G-I, SI1-S12 and this is the diamond they recommended which is actually the least expensive of the bunch.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1177162.htm

Just seeing some thoughts on the diamond, as well as any experience with an I, SI2 in a platinum setting.

Thanks

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
congrads on finding that setting and the beautiful stone.
I know a lot of people buy setting on line but person I would do it the way you are. I think that it is nice to see the setting before you buy it and all that.
I really think that will look gorgous. Good luck with it.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I see that the stone has sold--i hope that was you, b/c it''s a beauty!! Most I stones will face up nice and white--there is a thread on here of Is in plat, I think? Plus, I trust WF''s eye, so you''re getting a really good value w/ that color and clarity!!!

grabloaa

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the help.

I did purchase that particular stone from Whiteflash and it arrived today and looks great. So thanks go out to Lesley at Whiteflash for all of her help.

I also went ahead and purchased the Tacori setting from a local jeweler for the same price as I have seen online, so after Tacori finishes the setting in about 4 weeks it should be all ready to go.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you, can''t wait to see it once it''s set. Congratulations!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results