carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring (4-5ct) -- Emerald or Elongated Antique Cushion

Dawn Cepero

Rough_Rock
Trade
yep your catching on.

Edit: to give mods less to clean up, spammers and or trade people who do not read the rules here are as old as this board is, It would not surprise me that a spammer joined the second day it was up.
They do not last long.

Again, I have apologized Karl. Clearly, I am not a spammer. You are certainly welcome to check here: https://www.pricescope.com/featured-vendors

Once again, I apologized and will utilize the same stance you do as you clearly state you are a designer. Now, let's move on - shall we? Very sorry.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
yep your catching on.

Edit: to give mods less to clean up, spammers and or trade people who do not read the rules here are as old as this board is, It would not surprise me that a spammer joined the second day it was up.
They do not last long.

@Karl_K I love the look of this stone and seems pretty lively. A bit disappointed with the inclusions which are black carbons in the middle. What do you think? D5548FF4-0252-49F8-A81C-4A3322088CF2.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I love the look of this stone and seems pretty lively. A bit disappointed with the inclusions which are black carbons in the middle. What do you think? D5548FF4-0252-49F8-A81C-4A3322088CF2.png

its well cut but like you said is it eye clean?
The only way to tell for sure is someone look at it.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
its well cut but like you said is it eye clean?
The only way to tell for sure is someone look at it.

Its from Hancocks London. I was told that's 100% eye-clean, and those inclusions are very small and the video is a very zoomed in video.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its from Hancocks London. I was told that's 100% eye-clean, and those inclusions are very small and the video is a very zoomed in video.
ok

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The seller said the video of the 4.58 is under 10x loupe… so I assume those inclusion won’t be visible under naked eyes?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The seller said the video of the 4.58 is under 10x loupe… so I assume those inclusion won’t be visible under naked eyes?
thats possible.
can you see it pre purchase or do they have a return policy?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I went to Kwiat again, and was underwhelmed with their selection. I am underwhelmed with emerald cut in general as all the 4-5ct in good cut (not to say excellent cut) are all in VS2 with black carbon inclusion. I saw two antique stones, one old mine, and one antique cushion, and I definitely want to seriously consider the antique cuts!

As everyone here raves about Yoram, I reached out to him. He came with this stone, which I think it will be beautiful!

But I heard the retailer that carries his stone does not offer upgrade anymore... What if I want to upgrade later? Will I just have to sell that in a secondary market? If so, does his stone keeps good value? Thanks.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
If you are considering antique cuts ago, here is a beautiful ring with 3 antique cushion cuts.

(this vendor tends to have 10% sales during holidays)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I went to Kwiat again, and was underwhelmed with their selection. I am underwhelmed with emerald cut in general as all the 4-5ct in good cut (not to say excellent cut) are all in VS2 with black carbon inclusion. I saw two antique stones, one old mine, and one antique cushion, and I definitely want to seriously consider the antique cuts!

As everyone here raves about Yoram, I reached out to him. He came with this stone, which I think it will be beautiful!

But I heard the retailer that carries his stone does not offer upgrade anymore... What if I want to upgrade later? Will I just have to sell that in a secondary market? If so, does his stone keeps good value? Thanks.

I can't imagine the market for a pre-loved diamond this size is very large. I would wait and buy your goal size instead of expecting to resell and upgrade - I am guessing you will lose a substantial amount of $ in that process

however i can't imagine a nicer diamond than one from Yoram...his stones are incredible

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't imagine the market for a pre-loved diamond this size is very large. I would wait and buy your goal size instead of expecting to resell and upgrade - I am guessing you will lose a substantial amount of $ in that process

however i can't imagine a nicer diamond than one from Yoram...his stones are incredible

Yoram said he will do some video of that stone next week! I’m pumped! It’s a decent spread so look as big as some 4ct emerald!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you had the opportunity to see a decent assortment of larger old cuts?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Have you had the opportunity to see a decent assortment of larger old cuts?

I saw two at Kwiat… I’m going to see RingConcierger on Monday and hoping they would have something.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I saw two at Kwiat… I’m going to see RingConcierger on Monday and hoping they would have something.

If you decide to hone in antique cuts, you should go see Adam at OWD. You would be surprised how many of them face up. My ering is an F emerald cut and I always thought I needed F and higher color stones. Once I discovered old cuts, I figured out I could go lower in color bc the face ups are so white. Antique cuts are really chameleons.

I just saw a 5.85 ct K color from Jewels by Grace. Irl, it is super white.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you decide to hone in antique cuts, you should go see Adam at OWD. You would be surprised how many of them face up. My ering is an F emerald cut and I always thought I needed F and higher color stones. Once I discovered old cuts, I figured out I could go lower in color bc the face ups are so white. Antique cuts are really chameleons.

I just saw a 5.85 ct K color from Jewels by Grace. Irl, it is super white.

Thank you! I will check out OWD. I’m pretty determined to find a colorless or near colorless stone. However, I agree that a lot of antique cuts look very white! Thank you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I will check out OWD. I’m pretty determined to find a colorless or near colorless stone. However, I agree that a lot of antique cuts look very white! Thank you!

Here's the ring I'm talking about. Not joking-it really is this white irl! It's in your budget and you will (probably) never need an upgrade :bigsmile:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I get it. I insisted on a colorless old cut too. Get what you know you want! It’ll be harder, but that’s why Yorams stone could be an amazing fit!

Keep us posted on videos if you please! Im genuinely curious

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Guys - I saw five vendors in the diamond district and the two top winners are a big face emerald and an unique old mine. This is going to be a difficult choice. Here is a video taking in different lighting environments. They are essentially the same price.

I like the old mine a lot but it is only an I color. I am wondering if it will show a lot of body color in certain lighting environments? The vendor for the old mine is willing to cut a check for my current ring, and offer light long 100% trade-in value.

You cannot beat a F and beautifully cut emerald with 11mm length in the 4ct range still with such great light performance. It is with a whole seller, so the trade might be a bit tricky.

I’m struggling in making a decision here!

Thank you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What are the dimensions of the old mine?

Both are beautiful stones, but quite different.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Guys - I saw five vendors in the diamond district and the two top winners are a big face emerald and an unique old mine. This is going to be a difficult choice. Here is a video taking in different lighting environments. They are essentially the same price.

I like the old mine a lot but it is only an I color. I am wondering if it will show a lot of body color in certain lighting environments? The vendor for the old mine is willing to cut a check for my current ring, and offer light long 100% trade-in value.

You cannot beat a F and beautifully cut emerald with 11mm length in the 4ct range still with such great light performance. It is with a whole seller, so the trade might be a bit tricky.

Thank you!

Both are beautiful and I'm a bit biased, but I DIED when I saw that huge, icy white, flashy EC!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What are the dimensions of the old mine?

Both are beautiful stones, but quite different.

Old mine is actually over 5ct, 10.62X10.32…. Huge. Im just reserved about this I color…. But wonder if I can get any old mine in 4ct+ in higher colors? Sounds like that are quite rare to start and usually are in much lower colors?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thank you!
@Karl_K Any thought on that emerald? And both?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Both are beautiful and I'm a bit biased, but I DIED when I saw that huge, icy white, flashy EC!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
I also think the office lighting of the EC dealer is quite ideal to show the fire. But I understand emerald is a less firy in general. And prob look mostly like a mirror in most day light?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Old mine is actually over 5ct, 10.62X10.32…. Huge. Im just reserved about this I color…. But wonder if I can get any old mine in 4ct+ in higher colors? Sounds like that are quite rare to start and usually are in much lower colors?

I color is actually kind of rare for an old cut of this size! How did the face up color compare with your current ring?

My ering is an emerald cut and my anniversary ring is an OEC-and I love both of them so I can’t really help you there :)

Last edited:
They’re both utterly gorgeous, and I’m such an EC person that normally I would be dying over that EC, but I find myself leaning more towards the 5ct old mine!! What an amazingly rare stone. For me, personally, I is quite white. Also, 100% trade in value etc is a nice perk though obviously you won’t decide based on that.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I color is actually kind of rare for an old cut of this size! How did the face up color compare with your current ring?

My ering is an emerald cut and my anniversary ring is an OEC-and I love both of them so I can’t really help you there :)

So, honestly due to different lighting environments at the two vendors, both the emerald and old mine look white. The emerald vendor light accentuated the fire which prob unlikely to be observed in a lot of lightings; the old mine’s lighting was less sparkly but made stone look whiter…

The old mine of that size is hard to find even in I color than the emeralds…. But I really don’t want a stone that might look yellow in some lighting…

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So, honestly due to different lighting environments at the two vendors, both the emerald and old mine look white. The emerald vendor light accentuated the fire which prob unlikely to be observed in a lot of lightings; the old mine’s lighting was less sparkly but made stone look whiter…

The old mine of that size is hard to find even in I color than the emeralds…. But I really don’t want a stone that might look yellow in some lighting…

Sounds like you are leaning more towards the EC. Did you get an ASET on it?

What’s the return policy for the stones? Sounds to me like you need to see the stone/stones in different lighting environments.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like emerald cuts - or all fancies in general - should be bought by eye. I suppose you could order and return a stone if it doesn’t work for you but this is a significant amount of money to spend so you don’t want to have to rely on returning it.

Have you considered hiring a concierge service or something?

I’d recommend Karl as my square cut expert!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results