shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Square Cut vs. Cut-Cornered Square Step Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

creeks

Rough_Rock
I am desperate for accurate, to-the-point knowledge about what GIA considers the difference to be between an Emerald Square Cut and a Cut-Cornered Square Step Cut. Any information is greatly appreciated!! I understand they are both generic asschers, since it''s a registered name. Is the only difference a slightly more dramatic corner on the cut-cornered square step cut? Or might it also have a greater windmill effect, and more closely resemble a Royal Asscher?

Thanks so much for any response!!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I love a challenge! So your question gave me reason to research.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x23711.htm

Mostly, I found that a square emerald cut diamond is not the same as an Asscher.
I also found something called a Lucere, very cool, kind of 1/2 Asscher and 1/2 princess - which falls into the cut-cornered square step cut category.

Read the thread, it''s a lot less confusing that I am
9.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Same... except the pavillion on the "Cut Cornered..." will have more the 3 or 4 step facets on each side... probably 5 or 6...

It would probably mean for the crown the same... (but on the crown i am not certain)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 8:53:38 AM
Author:creeks

Is the only difference a slightly more dramatic corner on the cut-cornered square step cut? Or might it also have a greater windmill effect, and more closely resemble a Royal Asscher?

No... you are talking about proportions and corner breaks... the name on the cert would most likely imply a few more facets. That has nothing to do with patterns or deep cut corners.

You may find no-name step cut diamonds that do have extra facets like the RA, but not the tell-tale proportions and they surely look nothing like. IMO, 'normal' square emerald cuts with matching proportions have the look allot more.

These attached here are 'normal' square step cut... Bad?

And the next two posts have examples of the other kind - not the most extreme non-asscherish I could find - just the first two that turned up on a quick search.

Hope the 0.2 helps
38.gif

sstrr.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CCST11.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results