shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald fissures vs other gemstones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

It is my understanding that emeralds can have surface fissures that are treated by oil to fill them in. In the instance of using minor oil treatment on the emerald this does not take away from the value of the stone. However, if a pink sapphire has a fissure that reaches the surface, according to one source, the gemstone is almost valueless. I have a stone that my jeweler says has a fissure that goes to the surface, but I can''t feel it when I go over the stone with my fingers, nor do I see it with my loupe. I see it under the surface.

My question is why would an emerald retain its value , but not the sapphire or any other gem that has a surface crack? I do know that emerald is a class 3 gemstone, but I still wondered why the difference.

Thanks.

Thank You LD for linking me to your tanzanites. I CAN''T BELIEVE YOU HAVE SO MANY. I love the colors of the stone, be they medium or darker.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the difference to be that it is very easy to get a very clean and untreated sapphire whereas it is almost impossible to get a clean and untreated emerald. You’ve answered it yourself, being a class 3 gemstone, expectations of its clarity and hence its value, will be greatly different from gemstones that are expected to be eye clean or even loupe clean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 3:04:08 PM
Author: Chrono
I believe the difference to be that it is very easy to get a very clean and untreated sapphire whereas it is almost impossible to get a clean and untreated emerald. You’ve answered it yourself, being a class 3 gemstone, expectations of its clarity and hence its value, will be greatly different from gemstones that are expected to be eye clean or even loupe clean.
Ditto.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 2:53:02 PM
Author:smitcompton
Hi All,

It is my understanding that emeralds can have surface fissures that are treated by oil to fill them in. In the instance of using minor oil treatment on the emerald this does not take away from the value of the stone. However, if a pink sapphire has a fissure that reaches the surface, according to one source, the gemstone is almost valueless. I have a stone that my jeweler says has a fissure that goes to the surface, but I can''t feel it when I go over the stone with my fingers, nor do I see it with my loupe. I see it under the surface.

My question is why would an emerald retain its value , but not the sapphire or any other gem that has a surface crack? I do know that emerald is a class 3 gemstone, but I still wondered why the difference.

Thanks.

Thank You LD for linking me to your tanzanites. I CAN''T BELIEVE YOU HAVE SO MANY. I love the colors of the stone, be they medium or darker.
An emerald being a type III gemstone (normally heavily included) is exactly the reason why it''s more ok than a sapphire, as well as tradition. It''s quite common to find Sapphires without any surface fissures, and extremely extremely rare to find natural emeralds without them. Emerald miners long ago noticed that they could improve how an emerald looked by oiling them slightly, so it became an common and accepted practice.

Emeralds are graded on how many surface fissures are present. With good quality emeralds or better, there are few but noticeable fissures visible through a loupe, but not the naked eye. Without oil or filler, the air gaps in the fissures make the stone look a little pale and have less life.

If you''re not sure about your sapphire having a fissure, take it to another jeweler or appraiser for a second opinion. The best way to spot surface fissure is in the light reflection off of a facet.

--Joshua

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks All. Ill try not to feel bad for my sapphire. I think there is discrimination here. LOL.(my first time I LOL''d)

Thanks,
Annette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results