shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald drop dream earrings

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Hunt with me? I'm dead set on emerald drops for my wedding and have to get moving if it's going to need custom work?

-Budget is TBD (DF and I are discussing trading in brownie for these.-- if you don't remember that CS fiasco late August, assume budget is a non issue)
-Unsure btw Colombian emeralds and other types
-shape I'm dreaming of is pear
-I have and wear these Kenneth jay lane ones often and adore them. They've become my signature 'dress up' shape and I've re-bought them over and over. But want the real deal. http://m.zappos.com/kenneth-jay-lane-award-winning-earrings-pierced-gold-flawed-emerald?ef_id=UsI7mAAAAQFOAB39:20140202102750:s

Would love help with the discovery process here. First hoping to discuss the best vendors for emeralds and whether it makes more sense to find stone first or hunt for antiques? I'm rather open on specifics regarding size and design I just need the pop of color to be drop dead.

Also note: wedding color is emerald (secondary support colors are white and Gilver / cold gold metallics). As such I will possibly base certain color elements around what tone the emerald earrings I create are. I know this sounds crazy but heck it's my vision right? So if it's a bluer stone that will shift things across the board a bit.

Help?!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Your wedding colors sound so pretty, Chatbandit! Wish I could go just to see it all.

After a quick survey of Tiffany, Betteridge, & estate jewelers, it looks to me as if your best bet for earrings like the KJL pair is to have them made. I couldn't find anything very similar.

There were a couple that aren't the same, but have a related simplicity & elegance:

From a Russian & Faberge jewelry site http://www.romanovrussia.com/View_ALL_Russian_Antiques_Faberge.html
$2750 -- no bargains there!

From Israel Rose, $2250

I haven't bought emeralds so can't advise on vendors, but I'm sure others can. When you get them done, please post pics!!

--- Laurie

russian_2750.jpg

nyestatejewelry_2500.jpg

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Laurie the round faceted teardrops you posted are unreal! And wow to Lady Blue's. I'm assuming those were deep into the 5 digits but my my. What stunning and unique work

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Also pleased no one has mocked my "gilver" obsession ha. If only it came in jewelry!!

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked into unplated white gold? To me it has a that warm silver/gilver look! And you don't ever have to worry about replating.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I would shoot an email to embassy emeralds and see if they can keep an eye out for a matched pair of pears in your budget. I've bought a stone from them and was quite happy.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
JaneSmith said:
I would shoot an email to embassy emeralds and see if they can keep an eye out for a matched pair of pears in your budget. I've bought a stone from them and was quite happy.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up.

Starzin + Bex, Will investigate all of that. Glad you guys seem excited about the Gilver as I am!

Swissmiss- wonder how much those fancy earrings would be minus the diamonds. They weigh in at over 11 carats each! Curious what the breakout is in diamond cost vs emeralds. Makes me hopeful maybe something in the 3-4 carat range might be affordable?

That last pear pair is a total wow too!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Those Multicolour stones are gorgeous!! Look to be a good buy for the price.

I shall add my favourites for consideration simply because I think they are so elegant, different and wearable afterward - day and evening.

Jacob & Co have a large range - make sure you check the emeralds under all three sections of Magnificent Jewelry, High Jewelry and Fine Jewelry. I can't seem to just search for "earrings".

For example

I do love the Rowan & Rowan ones just posted above even though one is very dirty :love:

emerald-dia-bead-earrings-jacob_amp_co-91224379.png

screen_shot_2014-02-04_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-02-04_at_2.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Alternatively, you could keep Brownie for another day. You can still get the look you want and have a lovely, custom made pair of emerald earrings that don't cost thousands by buying these for less than $300.

What is important here?
That you get the look you want with genuine gemstones costing thousands of $$$
OR
That you get the look you want with genuine gemstones

Scroll down
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Gem-Bee/...45109018&_sid=192854348&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

screen_shot_2014-02-04_at_3.png

screen_shot_2014-02-04_at_1.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think those are overpriced. For $15,000, I think you can find fabulous stones that are eye clean, and you can have that kind of plain gold setting made by DanielM on Etsy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with unknown vendors who give very little information isn't just "are those real emeralds" but whether they have been treated, what they are treated with and the level of treatment, which all 3 play into pricing heavily.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think it would be really useful if you would give us a budget for the earrings (and how diamond-y you presently are thinking of), so we can provide more focused feedback and assistance.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Molly, my budget is flexible. I was thinking of this originally as something i'd swap "brownie" for --which makes the budget conservatively $26k. if I don't swap brownie, I'd like to keep it lower, like $3000 or $4000 but that is flexible too. I have a number of different projects in mind, so I'll just reorder them as needed for this, which I'd consider my highest priority.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1391619007|3608400 said:
how diamond-y you presently are thinking of.

as far as how diamondy-- i prefer un-diamondy!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1391986397|3611597 said:
Hi:
Many gorgeous options here:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/jewels/earrings

cheers--Sharon

Wonderful suggestion! And chatbandit, MC2 also has an office in Manhattan-- altho' visiting the gallery-workshop in Great Barrington is more rewarding & a weekend (or more) in the Berkshires can be a fun mini-getaway from NYC at any time of year.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
oh myyyyy MC2 has some drop dead gorgeous stuff. How can I not have known?! During my e-ring hunt this might have helped!!!

Do you know if they do custom stuff?

if there was some way to get these without the middle section, with an emerald stud instead of diamond, minus the pave I wonder if that would drop the price at all? http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/8552/emerald-drop-diamond-thread-earrings-575-cts-platinum

I have a pair of tiffany diamond studs, I wonder if I could throw those at the project. I never wear them but maybe there's some way to add the emeralds as hanging 'jackets' -- I know that sounds strange but there was a VERY clever PS-er who did something like that, detachable dangling magic! Unfortunately, if I'm honest with myself, that wasn't my real vision (all emerald was) but it could be lovely also.

these tsav clusters are KILLING Me too :love: http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/9153/tsavorite-berry-cluster-earrings-18-kt different concept but still!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1392006431|3611761 said:
Do you know if they do custom stuff?
The FAQ answer:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/FAQ#t2n2941
I think what they wish to convey is that they are willing to do variations on designs already in their portfolio, but -- with the rare exception they deem worthy of taking on as a commission -- they are not interested in "from scratch" custom work.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. When in the Berkshires the summer before last, we visited MC2 because I was (still am) intrigued by the Flora rings, but it wasn't until we arrived there that I learned they will not use (except in rare cases) a customer's stone. See this FAQ
http://www.mc2jewels.com/FAQ#t2n11
It's just as well since that ended my dithering over spending the money & we had a lovely visit there nonetheless.

But you shouldn't hesitate to give them a call!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have a reputable jeweler source you the stones. With a price range like that they would do a far better job sourcing plus have access to stones that are available only to businesses.

I used Wink for a couple projects involving colored stones so of course I'd recommend him again!

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
thanks Molly + Part Gypsy for the tips!

I'm in California this week and will be poking around if I can out here. also will contact Wink and MCII!

Thanks again.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i found a bunch of emerald drop earrings toward the top end of your range at 1stdibs. some clearly state untreated for the emeralds; for the others, you would need to contact the dealers. i think the return policies vary but i have a friend who purchased a very expensive watch on 1stdibs and had a no-questions asked 30-day return.

here are some options (there are many more on the site):

screen_shot_2014-03-11_at_10.png

screen_shot_2014-03-11_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-03-11_at_1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results