shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut with matching band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneswede

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I recently got a 1.75ct emerald cut engagement ring and tried to have a matching band made for it. Since it was a basket setting you cant get the two to sit flush. I didnt want to notch the weding band so this is the gap that was left. I would love to hear people thoughts on how it looks. I am having them change the head on it to a "V" so it will sit closer but Im concerned because the basket setting is so classic and im worrie dthe "V" will cheapen it??

The jeweler did an amazing job on the rings. The feedback Ive been getting though is that the gap is too big.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pictures? I like a little gap between the ering and wring depending on the style of the settings.

oneswede

Rough_Rock
lets see if this works. ill get some others on there.

124996emctskt.jpg

oneswede

Rough_Rock
here is a front shot. The ring is back at the jewelers. They are putting a "V" head on it to get it a bit closer. Im VERY nervous that getting rid of the basket setting is a mistake. but its done now. Ill post pictures when i get them of the new setting. They said there will still be a gap just not near as big. On a side note... my eternity band, because it sits so low, sits flush against the basket setting.

14458sktemct.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks fine in those pictures. (and BTW your rings are gorgeous!
30.gif
) I think that flush usually looks better, BUT gap is not a big deal. I''m going to have gap with my Ering and wedding band (if I even decide to wear them together).
I will be interested to see how they will sit when you get the head redone.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
My set will have a gap but yeah, I think your original gap is fairly large. Just a smidge closer would make it look more ''together'' if you know what I mean. I''m sure it will look fabulous...very pretty set BTW!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I see what you mean. Your gap is large because the shank of the ring narrows as it gets farther away from the stone, as does your wband. I like a little gap but see how this would bother you. I hope you just love the reset!

oneswede

Rough_Rock
its the basket setting that is getting in the way. I think the basket setting is most appropriate for the emerald cut diamond though. i worry that the "tiffany"setting will cheapen it? if anyone has theirs set this way I would love to see it.

15447sktec.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous rings! IMHO, I would leave the set as is - it looks perfect to me! :)

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
I have mine set in a "V." If you search some of my old posts, I was very concerned about this setting in the beginning. It is growing on me though; I think it really showcases the diamond. I haven''t picked out a band yet, but when I get to that, I might have them make the prongs more "delicate," for lack of a better word. I''ll try to post some pics. I''d love to see pictures of your reset when you get it!

myec.02.jpg

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
I can''t find any side-views right now, but I will find some and post tomorrow.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My mother had the exact ring as you have. She had them soldered together. I really love your set. I just love the simplicity of it.

oneswede

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone!

I just got the pictures back from the jeweler. They changed the mounting head to a "V" from a basket setting. unfortunately I dont have a picture of the old setting from the side so you can see the difference in terms of how the head looked. To be honest Im not sure the spacing is all that different. I havent seen it in person yet. (have to admit, I kind of miss the basket setting, it is classic for an emerald cut isnt it?) ANYWAY... here are the new shots. let me know what you think.

(not much of a difference?)

1245ecskte.JPG

oneswede

Rough_Rock
ANOTHER SHOT

1278EMSKT1.JPG

oneswede

Rough_Rock
OHa i love that. Do you happen to know the size (mm?) of your tapered baguettes? or the carat weight of them?

oneswede

Rough_Rock
Question was for Chicagogirl about her ring.

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I wasn''t able to post any side view pictures, they all seem to be too big. I am not sure what the baguettes are in mm''s, but they are about .5 ctw. I think you ring looks great in the "V" prongs! Do you have any more pictures of the side view??

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty Emerald.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Lovely rings. I have no problem with the vintage look imparted by a gap, but I do agree that the gap in the original is too big. The new prongs, I think, make a much more attractive gap.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
your rings are beautiful and i''m all for the gaps, makes both rings stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results