shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Three Stone project - opinion on proportions

K9

Brilliant_Rock
My mom graciously gifted a 1ct emerald cut stone to me for my birthday.

I am looking to have a 3 stone ring made with it - I need to pursue the project in phases, so the diamonds will be purchased first and then I'll wait until I can afford the setting.

ANYHOO... I am having a hard time finding photographic examples of 3 stone emerald cut proportions and so I'm hoping you can help or maybe offer up an opinion.

The center stone is 6.9 x 4.8 (so, nearly 7 x 5). Ratio: 1.44

The first set of stones I purchased to see in hand were 4.98 x 3.88 - they were waaaay to small IMO.

I have two other sets I'm considering are sized as follows:

Set A: 5.57 x 4.08 Ratio: 1.37
Set B: 5.8 x 4 Ratio: 1.46

NOW - I realize that the ratio on Set B is a better match to the center, but I also like the idea of a "fatter" sidestone for more coverage. I wear a hefty size 8.5 on my right hand so coverage is key.

Can anyone help me visualize this? I keep drawing it on paper but they all look small to me and I don't think they are that small!

The *closest* example I could find was this: http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Diamonds/EmeraldCutRings/Emerald-Cut-1.18w0.99EC.asp The sidestones here have a slightly fatter ratio so I am thinking it would look similar to this. ?

cl600500

Rough_Rock
well either you get lets say two .75ct on each side and make a chunkier look or get two lets say .40 and make the center take the focus. now also consider a step cut or a radiant cut stone. you can have an emerald shape but with a radiant cut too they look nice. and also maybe consider a yellow side stones they look cool too

cl600500

Rough_Rock
and also, that link doesn't have a very good picture, its deceiving, i looked at it and looked at it again those .50 look bigger in the picture then in real life trust me that "chunky" look will not be created with only.50pts on each side. and also that center stone is alot bigger then yours its a 1.18 thats a big difference so i would suggest going to a jewelry store and seeing for yourself

cl600500

Rough_Rock
and also, that link doesn't have a very good picture, its deceiving, i looked at it and looked at it again those .50 look bigger in the picture then in real life trust me that "chunky" look will not be created with only.50pts on each side. and also that center stone is alot bigger then yours its a 1.18 thats a big difference so i would suggest going to a jewelry store and seeing for yourself

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I have an EC and thought a lot about doing the EC sidestones too and the ratios. I would go with the fatter/ or as big as possible side stones (that are not the same size as your middle) - I think that when it is complete, the "look" and the finger coverage you get will be great!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
cl600500|1339791618|3217170 said:

I have gone to a jewelry store - I'm not finding what I want to see. My focus is on the proportions and dimensions and not the carat weight.... the dimensions vary quite a bit with emerald cuts. They're all over the map! I have zero desire to do anything other than emerald cuts.

I do agree that the photo I linked looks much bigger than the dimensions stated.

Will set B be too long - leaving only a .5mm on the top and bottom to match the length of the center? Ack... I wish I could do CADS! :rodent:

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
My suggestion? Get CZ stones in various sizes and play with them to get an idea of the proportions you find pleasing. I finally decided that I needed to do this before deciding on a custom setting design, I just can't visualize from sketches or CADs. Wink sells EC CZs, might be some with the right proportions on there.

cl600500

Rough_Rock
K9|1339792670|3217184 said:
cl600500|1339791618|3217170 said:

I have gone to a jewelry store - I'm not finding what I want to see. My focus is on the proportions and dimensions and not the carat weight.... the dimensions vary quite a bit with emerald cuts. They're all over the map! I have zero desire to do anything other than emerald cuts.

I do agree that the photo I linked looks much bigger than the dimensions stated.

Will set B be too long - leaving only a .5mm on the top and bottom to match the length of the center? Ack... I wish I could do CADS! :rodent:

i totally know what you mean wow yea its going to be tough i had my ring made with two pretty identical tapered baguettes but the jewelry store i went to did all the work ordering and finding them to match, im sure they did what your trying to do and i am no expert on dimensions sorry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results