shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut - Jumped the gun?

chryses

Rough_Rock
Having just found this forum, I'm starting to realize that I should have done way more research before pulling the trigger on a stone. Yesterday I ordered this 1.7 carat EC ($14.4K):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.71-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-217149

I've been spinning the stone around in my browser and it just doesn't seem to have that much "flash" when I rotate it clockwise. Did I made a mistake? Do the James Allen 360 videos provide a pretty good representation of the reflections you'll see for emerald cut stones? Or do you really need an ASET image or to see the stone in person?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks decent enough to pick two more and ask for a gemologist to review three stones. Whether you want an aset or not is up to you.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it looks worth considering. I know many people find ASETs helpful but when it comes to step cuts I think what the gemologist has to say and what your own eyes think is much more telling. My personal experience is that step cuts look much different IRL than they do in images and should really be seen to be (or not) appreciated. Side by side video comparisons in a variety of lighting environments can be very helpful as well if you are trying to narrow down several choices. That said there is useful information to be obtained from an ASET if you understand how to interpret the results and assuming that the image was taken correctly.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart skipped a little beat when it spun around on MY computer screen - just sayin'

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually really like that emerald cut. Since you've already ordered it, I'd wait to see it in person since JA's return policy is good.

chryses

Rough_Rock
Thanks for talking me off the ledge - I'll wait to see it in person.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have an emerald cut and it looks similar I think the stone is beautiful

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results