shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut 3.56 ct J/K SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hortonk

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''m looking at a loose stone at a local store for $23,140 negotiable and wondering how much to offer for it.
Can anyone give me some guidance?
It doesn''t have a certificate but they have offered to send it to a lab to get one.
The store''s stats are:
3.56 ct
J/K
SI1
9.70 x 7.83 x 5.28
1.239 Length/width
Assuming these stats are correct, what should I offer? I don''t see any flaws without using the microscope but I''m no expert. It does look faintly yellow to me next to higher color-graded stones. The main flaw under the microscope (they let me look at it in the store) is not right in the top of the table, but it won''t be hidden by the prongs.
Which lab should I ask for the certificate from?
Thanks!
ps- I''m planning on setting it in a medium thickness platinum 4.75 ring size setting with 2 smaller stones of the same quality (about .5 ct each)... how much should the side stones cost roughly, and the setting ("hand made")? Thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
What shape is this? I would make the deal contingent on them sending the diamond to GIA and see if it checks out. Work out the price from there. You don't sound too sure about this diamond.....remember a deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want...a great quality 3.5 carat will cost in excess of 30k really, also I would ask yourself why does this diamond not have a cert already? Big diamonds are rare and well worth getting that cert on as they are in demand. It might be a good buy but go carefully, get the cert and an independant appraisal to be safe if you buy it.

Is the diamond eyeclean? If you can only see the inclusion under a high power microscope I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bear in mind too that this diamond being a fancy shape and an uncerted stone could appraise or be certified as a J K or even L colour, the clarity could be lower too. I am not saying this is the case, but be prepared it might be.

ETA - duh - I see it is an EC, be aware that a J or K can definitely show more colour in this shape which is fine if you like a touch of warmth but it won't look as white as others. This too will depend on what it is properly graded as - get it to GIA before you make any firm decison. Also an EC can show more inclusions than other shapes, but if it is a truly clean SI1 then that is a rare thing in an EC, but get the grading done.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what shape is this stone? don''t even think about buying it yet
38.gif
first.. have them send it to GIA.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
the title of the thread says emerald cut

I, personally, would not go that far down the color scale in an EC. They show too much color. However, you have seen it so you are a much better judge. ECs should really be seen.

Have it sent to GIA

bex891

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

You have a good budget to work with...HOWEVER, I would definitely shop around first and see what else is out there and how it compares to this diamond.

You can do a diamond search on this site, to give you an idea of what your budget will get you. I would also want to work with a jeweller who knows his stuff. Don''t rush into spending any money yet. Theres alot to consider as you are buying a large diamond and spending quite a lot of money.

Have you considered buying online?

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the others to be careful in the J/K range in an emerald cut diamond, I would also be careful of the SI clarity.

Emerald cut diamonds aren''t as forgiving as some of the other cuts and will show color and inclusions easier. Most of the places I''ve researched - as well as the advice I''ve read here - says, stick with no lower than a VS clarity, and G/H color. again, it''s a matter of personal preference! If you''ve seen it and you love it - that''s pretty much the bottom line.

I tried the pricing options above, but found nothing in your size/clarity/color range - but when I searched elsewhere, I found a 3.65carat k/SI1 at around 15k - it has an EGL cert, though, so that that info with a grain of salt. I found a 3.57c/J/VS1 with a GIA cert at 26.5K and a 3.43 J/VS2 with GIA cert for 23.4k

don''t know if that helps or not, but at least you have some ideas about pricing. Definitely have it sent to the GIA for certification - just like everyone else has said!

have fun

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your posts, it sounds lie the color and clarity of the diamond are OK for you, so no comment there. Sure I am curious about how it looks though!
2.gif
Also, cut would make a difference for how desirable the stone is, and should have a bit to say in pricing too. Eye clean Si1 for an emerald cut this large is not common - good for your if you found one!

Assuming K/SI, the price seems a bit high... However, given that this one looks clean despite the grade, I would expect the price to be among the higher ones for SI1. Some relatively ''cheap'' SIs you may find for comparison could have visible inclusions, and this would bring the price down quite a bit.

The 23k quote could fit J/VS2 (GIA) with no-excuse cut. (like THIS). Or some 3cs I/VS2 that would no longer need any excuse in the color department and look just as big (THIS, maybe).

I would not be too happy to pay the price for the diamond you have been offered without some independent confirmation for the grades, because both K and SI1 come right after a nice price jump (downwards) relative to the grades one step up. The price seems closer to the J/VS2 slot... so... it can''t hurt to check. Even if you do believe the seller, if anyone ever buys it from you, they might not. GIA will take some time, AGS may be faster, and the opinion of an independent appraiser even more so. It is not unusual to ask the seller to send the stone for certification and agree that the price depends on results somehow - others do this by default and you may find other stories of the sort on this forum. If they refuse... well, it wasn''t such a great deal after all
2.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it a reputable jewelry store, have they been in business for long??

Then we''ll go to the next step, will they guarantee their opinion vs. a Reputable lab''s opinion?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One more..., can the store e mail you a picture so we can help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results