shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL, GIA, AGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbidgood

Rough_Rock
Can someone please assist? Is there a ranking of the different grading organizations? I am about to purchase a 1.34, round, G, SI1, premium cut, set in 4 prong platinum, EGL for $7000. I want to ensure that I got a good deal- I believe that I did, but I do not know much about EGL- most I have seen are GIA. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Opa

Rough_Rock
I don''t know of any ''ranking'' although GIA and AGS are more highly regarded than EGL. There is a great study conducted on all three labs you can read about on the Pricescope home page. If you go to the home page, you''ll see a link in the bottom left corner. That link will send you to a study conducted where they sent several diamonds to all three labs to see how the varied in their color and clairty gradings.

Opa

moosewendy

Rough_Rock
Without getting into which labs are more accurate, GIA and AGS graded diamonds trade at a considerable premium to diamonds graded at other labs. Those certificates represent a "pedigree;" the others do not. Keep in mind that vendors order EGL or IGI certificates only after receiving a "pre-grade." In other words, if the vendor doesn''t like the grade that he will get, he won''t order the full certificate. Generally, the vendor won''t like the grade unless it represents an upgrade from what the GIA or AGS would give it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
You''ll want to also see if the cert you''re referencing is EGL or EGL USA (more reliable).

As the study Opa reviews, EGL certs can provide opportunities for advantaged pricing opportunities. Comparing against diamonds available in the big database here, yours would be compared to those in either first 1/3 of pricing (ranging from $6109 - $9387) for diamonds with equivalent grades, or the second 1/3 of pricing ($4313 - 7817) as compared against diamonds graded with a lower grade for color and clarity, which you may or may not want to do considering EGL as against either GIA or AGS.

But, EGL certs frequenty include cut features, as well. You could do well to consider those elements, look to get a well cut diamond, and compare the one you''re shopping for, against the cut of those diamonds against those pre-defined here as well cut, once you confirm your is well cut, too. If it''s not, considering the substance of your original question: "I want to ensure that I got a good deal..." the wisdom here is that if it''s not well cut, keep shopping.

The tutorial here is an excellent resource for background as well.

Good shopping!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL will show the full specs of a stone if they call it a ideal or super ideal cut,but keep in mind what they call ideal is different from ags 0 cut specs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results