shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Certified Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SPanker

Rough_Rock
We purchased an emerald wedding set in St Maarten and ended up returning it because I was nervous about having a large emerald (2 carats) in my wedding set that may break. Instead I decided to go with a diamond solitaire and I am concerned about the depth of the stone
It is EGLS-USA Certified
specs:
1.04 ct
6.26 - 6.23 x 4.18 mm
66.9% Depth
58% Table
16.0% Crown
45.3% Paviliion
Med-Sl Thick Faceted

No Cutlet
Polish very good
Symmetry good
SI2 Clarity
F Color
No Flourescence

We are going to pay $3900 for this stone with setting. We feel like we know this jeweler and that we are getting a good deal, but I am still concerned about the depth. I know NOTHING about diamonds other than what I have read online and I will have it appraised when I get it form the jeweler, but can anyone look at these specs and give me some input? I really would appreciate the comments. Thanks yall!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run! (far away, that is)

SPanker

Rough_Rock
Is this not a good deal? I am not looking for perfection, but I dont want something that is horrible.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ask him if he will pay you to take it.
23.gif

or as julie says....run the other way!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I agree, run and don''t look back!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2006 3:18:42 PM
Author:SPanker
We purchased an emerald wedding set in St Maarten and ended up returning it because I was nervous about having a large emerald (2 carats) in my wedding set that may break. Instead I decided to go with a diamond solitaire and I am concerned about the depth of the stone
It is EGLS-USA Certified
specs:
1.04 ct
6.26 - 6.23 x 4.18 mm
66.9% Depth
58% Table
16.0% Crown
45.3% Paviliion
Med-Sl Thick Faceted

No Cutlet
Polish very good
Symmetry good
SI2 Clarity
F Color
No Flourescence

We are going to pay $3900 for this stone with setting. We feel like we know this jeweler and that we are getting a good deal, but I am still concerned about the depth. I know NOTHING about diamonds other than what I have read online and I will have it appraised when I get it form the jeweler, but can anyone look at these specs and give me some input? I really would appreciate the comments. Thanks yall!!
No need to run, just take into consideration that its a deep stone, and the diameter is actually as if you were buying a ninety pointer...
Now all you have to do is find out how-much a 0.90 ct.f this quality is selling for..., if $3,900 is much better..., than you are getting a deal... (if thats what you are looking for???)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a 1 ct stone is about 6.5 mm. your stone is so deep that it only is 6.24 mm across...that is basically a .9 ct stone

It is not even a good deal for a .9 ct

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/7/2006 3:18:42 PM
Author:SPanker
It is EGLS-USA Certified
specs:
1.04 ct
6.26 - 6.23 x 4.18 mm
66.9% Depth
58% Table
16.0% Crown
45.3% Paviliion
Med-Sl Thick Faceted

No Cutlet
Polish very good
Symmetry good
SI2 Clarity
F Color
No Flourescence

we are talking about a round brilliant, right?

SPanker

Rough_Rock
Yes- This is a round brilliant

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We feel like we know this jeweler and that we are getting a good deal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a statement that I hear frequently. Please, please, please get everything in writing and I mean EVERYTHING... read all the fine print, understand any warranties/exchange/return privileges. And welcome to Pricescope...we''re all here to help
35.gif
2.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you do decide to go for this one...., make sure you are getting a killer price..., a 66% td round has to be sold at a significant discount!!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to come up with a price...

First, to get price for a GIA/AGS stone (adjust for the EGL USA grading) I knock off a color grade. So now it's a 1 ct G SI2 GIA/AGS.
Next, to adjust for the face up depth, it's a .9 ct G SI2 GIA/AGS
Lastly, accounting for light leakage around the girdle
7.gif
it's a .8 G SI2 GIA/AGS

Tell me if I'm being too creative.
19.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 3:53:44 PM
Author: JulieN
So to come up with a price...

First, to get price for a GIA/AGS stone (adjust for the EGL USA grading) I knock off a color grade. So now it''s a 1 ct G SI2 GIA/AGS.
Next, to adjust for the face up depth, it''s a .9 ct G SI2 GIA/AGS
Lastly, accounting for light leakage around the girdle
7.gif
it''s a .8 G SI2 GIA/AGS

Tell me if I''m being too creative.
19.gif
creative indeed. no ding for clarity?
37.gif

suffice it to say, this stone should be offered at a significant discount.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .92 with bigger mm dimensions than the stone you are considering at 1.04. I would not buy this stone. I would shop around for another one. Although my stone looks like a 1ct because it's an ideal cut and we have it set in a cathedral setting I would definitely not pay for something knowing it should be bigger than it actually is. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I might add that my stone was about $500 less also. I got a deal because it's an SI2 they felt wasn't totally eye clean but the spread and the beauty of my stone along with a prong covering my inclusion made this a super/cannot pass it up type of stone. I wouldn't pay 3900 for that stone...but that's just my opinion
2.gif

SPanker

Rough_Rock
I just spoke to the jeweler and told him to hold off on everything.
I have to admit that he sent me the certificate a month ago and I decided on this stone so he has not misrepresented anything to me. i just found this website today and thought I would ask. He told me that the cut was not great, but that the color of this this stone is incredible. He said that it is beautiful.

I have a picture of the stone, but I cannot seem to get it to post.
With the bands that I wanted we were going to spend $5000 total.
$3900 on the ring and $1100 on the bands.

I just want a decent carat stone with emeralds in the band. Didn''t think that I would have such an issue.

THANK YOU for all of the input. I have no idea what I am doing apparently!
emsmile.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
You can learn so much from reading on here. Don''t sacrifice cut...the color may be beautiful but that won''t make it sparkle.
Read the tutorials and learn as much as you can. Then go back to your jeweler and find something you''ll be happy with. Good luck. I think you made a wise decision by stopping the jeweler with that diamond.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hope we didn''t scare you spanker!
20.gif

i don''t believe your jeweler was misrepresenting anything. the price reflects a not so well cut diamond already.
it is my opinion that you should get a really well cut stone in that size (dimension, not carat weight) that will look sparkly and beautiful. ''incredible'' color doesn''t do much for a poorly cut stone. i guarantee that a well cut diamond (in any color!) of that same size will look a million times better. focus on the cut!
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
spanker
Stick around and learn.

You will get a MUCH better diamond for a much lower price.

Be patient.
Don't buy anything till you learn more.

Most diamonds are badly cut, overpriced and sold to people who don't know any better.
Why?
1. People just want a one carat and but not aware that the cheapest way for the diamond cutters to get a one carat out of a rough diamond results in a diamond that has poor optical performance because of its shape.
2. Very few people have ever seen a well cut diamond, so don't know any better.

Cut is the most important thing that affects how good the diamond looks, not color and (to a big degree) not clarity.
For some reason this most important factor of cut is the least understood and demanded. (Probably because it meands grinding away, instead of selling, more of the rough.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut is key!!! Then the rest... I''d stick around and learn all that you can. It''s the cut that makes a diamond beautiful and if the cut isn''t good I don''t care how great the color is. You can read the tutorials on here, they are very helpful. We will be hapy to help you along the way, as you have already seen. Good luck!!
1.gif

SPanker

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate your help. I was a little hesitant when I looked at the certificate and researched the specs for GIA and EGL graded stones. The depth was the only thing that I could not quite accept, but I really did not know the importance of the cut until I started doing more research.
$5000 may not seem like alot to some, but that is alot of money for me to spend on a ring when I have a 10 year old just going into braces!! LOL
I do not mind paying for quality, but I needed a definition of what is quality. I told Sam, my jeweler, that I wanted the best cut stone that I could get and with the best color. Clarity was fine at SI2. I also will start looking online.
When I sent back the emerald ring he gave me a store credit toward another ring, but he agreed to refund my money should I choose to do that. If anyone can suggest a good online place for me to look that they have had good experiences with I would really appreciate it.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I had an amazing experience with Whiteflash and they have gorgeous ideal cut rounds.

www.whiteflash.com

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:09:38 PM
Author: JulieN
$3667 1.03 H I1, Wink''s opinion was that it''s an SI2.
http://www.infinitydiamonds.be/diamond.php?ID=124
http://www.winkjones.com/specials/sa_diamonds.php
36.gif
36.gif
Damn...see I''d been looking and looking for a while and jumped on my .92 infinity and now he''s pulling these beauties out of the woodwork LOL.
I have an infinity .92 and I can attest to their beauty. I have nothing but the best things to say about Wink (the vendor) and Paul (the cutter of infinity stones)...you can''t go wrong with these two! I''d definitely take a look at this beauty. Wink is top notch and will tell you like it is. He''s great to work with!
Great find as usual Julie
36.gif
36.gif

SPanker

Rough_Rock
Hey ya''ll-
Thanks for all the good info.

I found 2 diamonds on Whiteflash that seem like GREAT deals. They are EGL not GIA certified, but I am not planning on selling this ring so the paper REALLY isnt the deciding factor.

Would yall mind telling me what you think?
www.whiteflash.com

Item Code: 7479494
Price: $3,376.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.02
Color: D
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 60
Table: 57
Girdle: M-
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.50-6.60X3.93

Item Code: 10232982
Price: $3,574.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.05
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60
Table: 57
Girdle: M-
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.55-6.60X4.00

Am I getting better at the whole diamond thing??
emquestion.gif

There were not actual pictures of these and the certificates were not poseted... not sure if this mean anything.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you''re definitely getting better at this ''diamond thing!" Chances are the stones are virtual and Whiteflash will need to call them in for them to evaluate them in person for you. But Whiteflash has the utmost respect around this forum and they''ll be able to provide you a lot of really useful information about both stones.

Good luck,

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
SPanker,

You are definitely getting the hang of this diamond thing. Congrats. WF is a very honest company to deal with. I have no doubt that the whole process will run smoothly for you from this point forward. In general terms there is nothing wrong with an EGL cert versus a GIA cert. Just remember with EGL just lower the color and clarity one grade and you will have the GIA equivalent. Of course this is not ALWAYS correct, but it can be viewed as a general rule of thumb.

So for what it''s worth you are still looking at two stones with absolutely stunning color grades. As for the clarity, once the rep at WF looks at the stones they will be better able to define the extent and location of the inclusions. You''re in good hands.

Let us know what you end up with
Nancy

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spanker, I know you are looking for a one carat stone.

But after seeing a few top cut diamond I will NEVER buy anything but the best cuts.

A superbly cut stone just under a carat will look larger than it is because it does a better job of reflecting light

I’ll bet these threeWhiteflash Expert Selections will put those EGLs to shame:

AGS-7340505: .723 carat I VS2
IS_AGS-73405051.jpg

Pricescope discount price for bank wire: $2095
HCA score 1.1

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2410937.htm#

AGS-7340503: .748 carat F SI1

IS_AGS-73405031.jpg

Pricescope discount price for bank wired: $2570

HCA score 1.1

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2410936.htm

AGS-6205308: .742 carat F SI1

IS_AGS-62053081.jpg

Pricescope discount price for bank wired: $2825

HCA score 1.0

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358911.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results