shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL certifcation but no papers...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Hi I''m new and have been lurking for some time. I have a problem now so I''m hoping I placed this in the right forum and some of you can help me.
About 6 years ago my husband bought me a ring from a chain jewelry store. He had a trade in so he decided instead of letting that go to waste he''d go back and get my ring there as well. My only stipulations were to get my diamond loose and have it set as he''d have a better chance to get a quality diamond that way.
As I''ve been lurking I''ve learned sooooo much about dimaond certifications and such. Well my diamond is an EGL certified stone. However, I don''t have the certificate I only have a sticker from the jeweler stating this info:
Shape
WEight
Clairty
Color
DIM
Dimaond EGL
PMR#

Now on the DIM line which I''m assuming is dimensions is a long 10 digit number. I''ve contacted EGL USA and they''ve said it''s not their stone. I also contacted the jeweler who says they will do all they can to get me my certificate. I''ve also stated that if they''ve misrepresnted me in anyway that I will be getting the stone we so overpaid for. I''ve emailed EGL International as well hoping that the number I''ve got on my tag is in fact the certified number and they will be able to get me my papers.
If neither of the numbers presenteed on my tag are EGL numbers then basically I have nothing to get my cert with. I know from all my reading here that EGL isn''t a very good certification but it''s better than not having anything at all.
Have I covered all my bases? If the jeweler did misrepresent do I have a leg to stand on being it''s been over 6 yers ago? I wish I had all of the info I had now back then...I would have told my dh to swallow the trade in and get something better for the money.
HELP!!!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a lawyer, but it sounds like you did cover your bases. It''s good the store the stone was purchased from is still in business. They should have provided the certificate when the stone was purchased, or soon thereafter. If the store can not get the certificate for you, it would seem you would need to contact a lawyer at that point to let the store know you believe the product they sold you was misrepresented. It would seem unlikely the store who probably values their reputation would not resolve this. I would wait to hire a lawyer however, until it became clear the store was not going to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Good luck.........

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hello - I believe that a 10 digit # means the certification is from EGL Israel. I believe that some people here do not like EGL, Israel in particular, but I know of a few folks that have gotten beautiful EGL Israel certified diamonds.

Also, I am a lawyer, and I''m not sure what sort of claim you would have...and there may be an issue with a statute of limitations problem...considering that you purchased the stone 6 years ago. There may be a way around it...and I''m not sure it would be worth the hassle and the money that would likely be incurred bringing a suit. For a few hundred dollars you can either EGL or GIA certify your stone.

Just my thoughts.

Lyss

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much for your replies.
I''m not looking to get rid of my stone. In fact, I''m in the process of having it reset. I''ve taken it to GIA certified graduates that have told me what they think the specs of the stone are...all are in range with what the specs say. I never tell them where it''s certified from or what the specs are...just like to hear what they have to say. I''ve been told it is a very beautiful stone.
Because I''m having it reset by another jeweler and I''m looking to get some new insurance I''d like to have my certification. I probably wouldn''t get a lawyer involved as I believe that this store will stand behind our purchase and do something for us in the event they are unable to get me my certificate. My husband is partial to this retail chain so he buys alot of my jewelry there. I really can''t see them not standing behind their product.
Thanks again...everyone here knows so much and I''m just learning so I wanted to consult some of the ''experts'' to make sure I''m taking the right approach :)

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s good you are dealing with a reputable store you know and trust. Since you are resetting the stone and they may not be able to provide the grading report, one option would be to have the stone professionally appraised. I would hope this store, who is reputable would be willing to pay for the appraisal since they never provided the grading the report to begin with.

Good luck.........

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sure EGL-USA would be happy to do an exam and issue you a new grading report for a reasonable fee. I agree that the jeweler should have provided the document in the first place and it's annoying that you would need to order one yourself but this doesn't seem like a disaster.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 11:19:15 PM
Author: denverappraiser
I''m sure EGL-USA would be happy to do an exam and issue you a new grading report for a reasonable fee. I agree that the jeweler should have provided the document in the first place and it''s annoying that you would need to order one yourself but this doesn''t seem like a disaster.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Thank you for your reply. Is this something I may be able to ask the jeweler to do if they cannot come up with the original cert? I wouldn''t even have the faintest idea how I would go about getting this done anyway. I''m learning something new here everyday!

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 11:26:03 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Diamondfool, what''s the number which you think might be the EGL report number?
Richard...thanks for your response.

There are two numbers listed...
PMR# DI98533S

then the other number which I''m guessing would be it is listed next to DIM in between the dimensions of my ring that number is 9807736848

10 digit number which I''m hoping leads me to an EGL international certificate.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 11:30:36 PM
Author: diamondfool

10 digit number which I'm hoping leads me to an EGL international certificate.
This is probably your EGL report number.

It's not an EGL-USA or EGL-Europe number, but probably an EGL-Israel number. Their's are 10 digit numbers beginning with the year. This report would have been issued in 1998, if it is indeed an EGL-Israel number.

There's a slight chance it's the jeweler's in-house stock number, but I doubt it.

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 11:59:17 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Date: 2/16/2006 11:30:36 PM
Author: diamondfool

10 digit number which I''m hoping leads me to an EGL international certificate.
This is probably your EGL report number.

It''s not an EGL-USA or EGL-Europe number, but probably an EGL-Israel number. Their''s are 10 digit numbers beginning with the year. This report would have been issued in 1998, if it is indeed an EGL-Israel number.

There''s a slight chance it''s the jeweler''s in-house stock number, but I doubt it.
Thank you again Richard.
Even though it''s from EGL Israel (if that is indeed the case) I should still be able to receive my report right? I hope so! What a mess. I wish I could go back and do it all over again but hindsight is 20/20...my man is a sucker for convenience with the mall jewelry store
7.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would contact EGL-Israel, and ask them if they can issue a duplicate report.

I couldn''t find an email address for them, but their contact info is:

E.G.L. Israel, 52, Bazalel Street, Suite 107, Ramat Gan 52521, (972)3-752 8428

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Thank you Rich for all the information. I did email EGL International but have yet to receive a response. I am going to pass along this informatin to those idiots working in the mall store to see if they can get anything expedited for me. I have a feeling I''ll have better luck with the jeweler that is resetting my center diamond into a new setting. They have been more helpful and knowledgeable than the others I''ve spoken to at the retail chain. I really have a feeling I''m just going to be SOL with getting this cert
7.gif
You''ve been quite helpful!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll be very surprised if you can get a duplicate 1998 report out of EGL-israel but it's certainly worth asking. They are much more likely to be responsive to this sort of request if it comes from the jeweler. Yes, you can and should ask the jeweler to assist you in this and they should do it at their expense. If it needs to be examined again, while they have it loose to reset it is a wonderful time to be doing this. EGL-USA is a pretty easy company to do business with and they usually work fairly quickly. If you really want, they can even send it to Israel but this seems like overkill since most people prefer USA paper anyway and 2 directions of international shipping can be pretty inconvenient. Even if you have to pay, this is probably less than a $100 problem so I wouldn't describe it as being SOL. It's just annoyance, don't let it spoil your enjoyment of your diamond or your new ring.

By the way, be aware that there's a very real possiblity that EGL-USA in 2006 will not come to the same grading conclusions as EGL-Israel did in 1998.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There really is no compelling reason to have the certificate if she is not planning on selling the stone and the ring has been appraised by a gemologist for insurance purposes, is there? And I would think the time of purchase would have been the time to ask for the certificate, not 6 years later. You need to see the certification before you decide to buy the diamond (within the return period, at least), in my opinion. I recently brought in a stone and had someone local verify it was the stone on the copy of the certification. That, to me, would be the primary reason to have a certification. An appraisal by a certified gemologist is all one needs for insurance.

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for your replies. I actually never even gave the certificate another thought until I found this site and starting getting more info. 6 years ago I was definitely not as knowledgeable as I am now so it was my mistake but one I''m trying to correct if possible. Sorry...my husband isn''t as knowledgeable and trusted the retail store so the sticker he received with all of the info on it saying EGL certification was good enough for him. I have not had the diamond appraised at all...the only insurance appraisal I have is through the jeweler for replacement value. I am contemplating getting the stone examined while it is loose but am not sure at this point since I''m not planning to sell it or anything of that nature. After reading alot about EGL I''m quite positive it won''t turn out to be what it was originally graded at. It''s very white and I personally cannot see any inclusions so I guess that''s what matters most.
I still plan to get on the retail chain about getting my cert though. I feel it''s negligible on their part not to include this in the purchase when they are selling a certified diamond. I may not get it but my husband buy alot of jewelry from there so maybe it''ll be a case where it''s a loss to them because of their negligence.
Thanks again...your info has all been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results