shape
carat
color
clarity

ebay stones - citrine and pyrope garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t shoot me off the bat - my camera battery is charging so no pictures just yet.

I bought two stones from an ebay vendor and the stones arrived today. One is a 2.26 ct pyrope garnet and the other is a 8.05 ct citrine. I will confess now that I know very little about either of these gemstone types. I paid very little for either stone (in fact, shipping was more than one of the stones) so I''m not too concerned if these turn out to be a bum deal.

I like both stones on first glance, but, as I said, I don''t know much about either gemstone type. I do think both stones are what would be considered "windowed". I can see the faceting on the underside, but if I sit them directly over text on a page, I can read the words. Or is that normal with a light colored stone even if it wouldn''t be considered windowed?

The citrine also has a weird thing where if it''s on one side, you can see a clear band around the side (meaning there''s a line where colorless meets the yellow). The other side doesn''t have this effect.

While I wait to take pictures, could you guys give me a brief run down on what is "ideal" in citrines and pyrope garnets?

I''ll post some pics ASAP.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 6:38:54 PM
Author:lavatea
Don''t shoot me off the bat - my camera battery is charging so no pictures just yet.

I bought two stones from an ebay vendor and the stones arrived today. One is a 2.26 ct pyrope garnet and the other is a 8.05 ct citrine. I will confess now that I know very little about either of these gemstone types. I paid very little for either stone (in fact, shipping was more than one of the stones) so I''m not too concerned if these turn out to be a bum deal.

I like both stones on first glance, but, as I said, I don''t know much about either gemstone type. I do think both stones are what would be considered ''windowed''. I can see the faceting on the underside, but if I sit them directly over text on a page, I can read the words. Or is that normal with a light colored stone even if it wouldn''t be considered windowed?

The citrine also has a weird thing where if it''s on one side, you can see a clear band around the side (meaning there''s a line where colorless meets the yellow). The other side doesn''t have this effect.

While I wait to take pictures, could you guys give me a brief run down on what is ''ideal'' in citrines and pyrope garnets?

I''ll post some pics ASAP.
Well citrine is a very inexpensive stone, and you do have to be leary of synthetic citrine on ebay. There''s quite a bit out there. What''s a bad citrine? I don''t think there is one since people can favor the varying shades of brown and yellow. Madeira citrine is a very deep orangey brown, and many people prize that, but it''s not really expensive.

Pyropes are typically very common dark brown/red garnets. I like them when they''re clustered together in Victorian style jewelry, but I wouldn''t want one as a solitaire.

At least you didn''t pay a lot for them.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the vendor picture of the garnet. It pretty much looks like this, except maybe not quite so dead in the middle. I wouldn''t have bought this stone based on this picture, but the video looked better.

pyropegarnetforweb.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s the vendor picture of the citrine. It does not look like this. It is not as saturated (if that''s the correct word) or as sparkly, especially in the middle. You cannot see the facets in the middle like you can in this picture - well, you can see them, but they don''t return the light like they do in the picture. Not sure how they got it to look this way when they took the picture.

citrineforweb2.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The rule is pretty much the same as with other stones - the purer the color and the nicely is it spread throughout the stone, the better the stone. A cut that provides some liveliness is a plus, as well as a nice overall appearance i.e. that the stone as a whole looks visually balanced, with no dead, black or washed out areas. Good clarity is more important in lighter materials, while tone of color is more of an issue in the darker.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here are some pictures. These were all taken at the window. It''s overcast and snowing outside (snowing in Texas!!). First up, the citrine.

citrine1small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
another:

citrine2small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
It is huge.

citrine3small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s what I was trying to convey with the color line against the clear line. You can see it on the one side but not the other. Is this what is referred to as color zoning?

citrinesidecomparison.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most citrines end up brown and pyrope garnets blackish brown/red. Both these colours are also extremely inexpensive, even at huge sizes. The more expensive ones are those that aren’t overly light or dark, have purer colour and good saturation. An “ideal” citrine will be a super saturated shocking orange but also note that this is extremely rare. Most pyropes tend to be overly dark and brown.

ETA
Just saw your pictures. It looks like a window tilt where you can see through the stone down to the surface below it. Because the saturation is very light, it also appears colourless.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
And now for the garnet.

pyropegarnet1small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
some size perspective:

pyropegarnet2small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for looking!
35.gif

pyropegarnet3small.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I think your answers are pretty much what I expected.

I will chalk this up to learning experience, as I didn''t think either of these stones were great (or even very good) when I got them in hand. I really wasn''t expecting much of the garnet anyway, but I''m fairly disappointed with the citrine. It''s just too clear, but in its defense, I LOVE the size. And I''m not even a big jewelry girl, but one or two pieces with a stone this size could be fun.

So, suggestions on what to do with these two now? I could always stuff them in a box somewhere, but I don''t really see the point in that as I don''t want to start collecting gems for anything other than jewelry. I already have pack-rat tendencies, and I have enough "collections" of various things. Maybe I''ll give them to my daughter to play with. Or at least the citrine. She might lose the garnet, but the citrine is sizable enough that it probably wouldn''t get lost.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few stones that aren’t nice enough to set. I keep those in boxes until the time is right to resell, give them away or just let then languish there. I do not consider that as collecting. I’m sure many of us have these types of stones.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you opt for setting them both, I''d think about getting some sort of a yellow or rose gold halo for the garnet, and a yellow gold bezel for the citrine.

Halo could help close that window, while warm toned gold could punch-up the color in a garnet.

A yellow gold bezel could, with a bit of luck, turn that citrine into a very wearable piece. Some sort of a textured (relief) or engraved metal work around it could also work nicely.

If you''re on a budget, settings for pendants tend to be less expensive than those for rings, and if you can''t afford solid gold, there''s always plating in any combination you''d like.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavatea - I''m going to be really honest and I hope you don''t mind?

I''m very concerned by the "Citrine". There''s a large amount of colour zoning and it doesn''t look natural. Your view that you can see a clear white band is also indicative that the Citrine may be a synthetic of some description. If you have a jeweller''s local to you, I would be tempted to get the RI measured on it to determine what it could be.

In terms of the garnet? It''s very very very dark and setting it, will, I think, make it even darker.

As Chrono has suggested, as these stones have been relatively cost friendly for you, I would be tempted to keep them unset.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 2:42:50 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Lavatea - I''m going to be really honest and I hope you don''t mind?

I don''t mind at all. I want you all to be honest! How else will I learn?

As far as your concern- I''ve wondered about the citrine myself. How much do jewelers typically charge to test stones? I''m on a very limited budget, and Christmas money is long gone at this point, so I''m hesitant to spend much more on these stones.

I guess it wouldn''t hurt anything to hang on to them for a while and have them tested at a later date. They came from an overseas vendor, so I won''t be returning them based on the shipping cost/hassle.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would keep them unset as a learning lesson. most of us have such stones! i think the garnet is also windowed but not as noticeable as it is dark....it is the nicer of the two stones. again, most of us have learning lesson stones. it is actually a very good way to see what others write about. congrats on starting the color stone journey!

mz

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Loving, I have to disagree. Synthetic quartz is usually a very consistent color throughout. Zoning is typically an indication of a natural stone. It is quite common for amethyst and citrine to have banding that is orientd to the table of the stone so it is flooded with color. That way, the zoning only shows when vied from the side.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''ve used a local jeweler for something before they will quickly look at the stones for free. A good jeweler and her/his loupe can tell you alot.

If I were to set the Citrine, I''d set it in a pendant.

A PSer has a box of stones she calls her Happy Box and she just takes them out to play sometimes, maybe these two stones could be the start of your Happy Box?

HTH

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 7:26:33 PM
Author: Revolution
Loving, I have to disagree. Synthetic quartz is usually a very consistent color throughout. Zoning is typically an indication of a natural stone. It is quite common for amethyst and citrine to have banding that is orientd to the table of the stone so it is flooded with color. That way, the zoning only shows when vied from the side.
Sorry, zoning perhaps isn''t quite the right description. Can you see the first picture and the colour differential showing through the table? Then there''s the lack of colour in a band viewed from the side? I agree that normally synthetics of whatever description look too perfect but this is either synthetic or a different gemstone or a poor Citrine. Whichever, I would say that Latvea can probably pick up a nicer stone (for not much more) that would look very pretty set.

Latvea - we all have "learning" stones. Don''t worry about it. The thing is, that if you''re spending money on setting something you have to LOVE the stone. Now, if you love these stones, and I don''t think you do picking up on your first post, then you should set them. If you don''t love them then put them away and chalk it up to experience. If you''re hankering over a Citrine have a look here:

http://www.ajsgems.com/citrine-gemstone-quartz-2046340434.html These may be too expensive for your budget but they''re big carat weights.

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/single/citrine/ Again, maybe too big?

http://www.gemselect.com/citrine/citrine.php Lots of different size and price points.

Happy shopping!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
The cirtine might be a good candidate for a wire wrapped pendant. I just had a few of my less-than-collection-worthy stones done up in silver and gold plated wire. Doesn''t cost much and makes a nice fun piece of jewelry.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 1:08:57 PM
Author: Chrono
I have a few stones that aren’t nice enough to set. I keep those in boxes until the time is right to resell, give them away or just let then languish there. I do not consider that as collecting. I’m sure many of us have these types of stones.
1.gif
I''m guilty. Got some of these types & even some simulant ones.

I think that citrine is a nice talisman instead for your purse. Citrine is said to be the stone of money & happiness... & Garnet brings out your appeal and makes one more attractive (w/ that being said, I guess i gotta buy more garnets hehe)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we all have learning stones. I give them to my six year old daughter who thinks they're the greatest things ever. She keeps them in gem boxes in her dresser. Oh no!! I'm training her too young!
6.gif

Lavatea,
One of the best ways to learn about colored gems is to visit a gem show, or a very high end jeweler and look at vivid color. That way you can differentiate saturated color from more desaturated color, and understand tonality, etc. . . I also recommend the tool, gemewizard.com that teaches you how to evaluate color in a gem. Multicolour.com uses color codes for almost all their gems for sale that approximate the gemewizard tool. This tool originated from the GIA gemset color codes for colored gems.

Ilovegemsstones

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks crono,
35.gif

I am new to this forum I need to learn those things,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results