shape
carat
color
clarity

EBay and Etsy - same CS ring different name of vendor

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am seeing the same CS ring on both Etsy and EBay. I have been watching the ring on Ebay from a seller from Bangkok. Now the same CS ring is listed on Etsy under a different vendo, also located in Bangkokr, with much clearer photos (very high quality enlarged photos that show color more accurately) etc. The Etsy seller is new, and has not sold anything before and has no reviews. The EBay seller has sold thousands of things with good reviews. EBay seller has the ring listed at double the price and instead of 0 shipping costs like the Etsy seller, the costs are high but reasonable from where they are shipping which is Bangkok.

EBay seller has a Make an Offer but says in the item listing that he would like offers close to listing price because of the quality of the stone which certified by a good lab. Ebay seller has photos of the ring being held in a hand, and you can barely see the ring. It’s a totally different more casual look to his listings photos.

Can someone tell me what might be going on with these two listings? I was going to make an offer to the EBay seller but the price is still fairly substantial. The Etsy selling price is seemingly too good to be true, considering the quality of the ring he’s selling. But how did he get such amazing photographs and what is he up to? He also has a good copy of the certificate from a good lab. He’s got numerous rings with very high quality close up photos on his Etsy store, all the same professional studio style, so it does not look like he stole those photos. Very confused.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of rings the same style and same species of stone, especially if the species of stone is not rare to begin with, which includes a lot of Sapphires, Rubies and Emeralds, along with lower priced stones.

The only real way to give you an opinion is to give links to both. Otherwise, who can say, other than what I wrote above.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be cautious.
yes, people steal photos and use them to deceive people. It happens on both eBay and Etsy.
And many vendors sell on both sites and not necessarily using the same name. Sellers fees used to be cheaper on Etsy sales meaning slightly cheaper priced but I believe Etsy fees have gone up. I don’t believe Etsy dispute resolution function is as good as ebays but if you use PayPal and a credit card linked to PayPal you’re usually safer.
Many PSers have seen their own rings, their own photos used by someone else in eBay listings, usually in the Asian vicinity, pretending to “sell” their ring. Often the photo is “bait” detail in the listing tends to indicate that the actual ring received will be “similar” to the photo. Having had my own Almond Blossom Opal ring used by a number of vendors I even bought one to check it out. Awful. Both that they used my ring as “bait” and the disgracefully cheap and nasty copy I received.
reporting them to eBay and/or Etsy might close that one down while another just takes their place.
If the eBay vendor has good feedback, though check it, for similar items it will be the Etsy seller who is being deceitful IF it is indeed the exact same ring. I’ve seen rings, very similar, offered by different sellers. More than likely using the same manufacturer. That’s not unusual.
my golden rule is “in in doubt, don’t”.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your comments. It’s definitely the same ring, because the stone is the same - same color, same wonky cut. Maybe I should just ask the more expensive seller why his price on Etsy is half the price! Then come to an offer that is acceptable to both of us. The lack of sales or reviews plus gorgeous photos of the Etsy vendor is a red flag that I need to investigate before trusting.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your comments. It’s definitely the same ring, because the stone is the same - same color, same wonky cut. Maybe I should just ask the more expensive seller why his price on Etsy is half the price! Then come to an offer that is acceptable to both of us. The lack of sales or reviews plus gorgeous photos of the Etsy vendor is a red flag that I need to investigate before trusting.

Very well could be, but many stones from overseas have wonky cuts that are very close in appearance (never underestimate their ability to look wonkily the same) and as I said, depending on the stone’s species, there are many to cut from that are the same color.

You really need to give links if you want an informed opinion. Otherwise, we have nothing to go on. Not even the type and color of stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results