shape
carat
color
clarity

Earrings or pendant and earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tarheel85

Rough_Rock
Okay all you experts out there....I need opinions! I''ve been a lurker on this board off and on for a couple of years and have learned alot. Now, I have been given the go ahead from my husband to purchase diamond studs. I currently have on hold two .52 each H SI1 AGS H&A studs which will cost me $2541. My budget is 3K.

With too much time on my hands this weekend, I had a realization that I could go to .47 each or .48s still in the G,H,I range SI1s and get three stones and make one a pendant. Now I don''t know what to do because now I am afraid the stones (mainly the pendant)will look to small or will the sparkle make up for that?

Any suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks. DeDe

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming equivalent cut, you're not going to be able to see the difference between the .48 and .52, so that puts the concen for the earrings away. I think with a nice sparkle, a ~.5 ct pendant would be nice. I believe my mom wore one of that size for a good many years. You could also have it set in a more elaborate setting, with filligree or some such (or have it reset once you've saved up a bit), which can make it look larger. I also think how "large" it looks depends on how tall/big you are. Jewelry which looks large on my mother looks much smaller on me, and even smaller on my sister (I'm 7" taller than she is, and my sister is taller/bigger than I am). There's a real advantage to being short in this regard.
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w/Chialea that it can depend on how tall you are, but in general, I think just under .5ct can be great for a pendant (it's what I'm getting, so I'm not just saying that!) I also think there's a pic of a .39ct pendant in the show me the ring folder that looks great to me. I vote for the three stones
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

tarheel85

Rough_Rock
Thanks gals for your response. I am 5 ft 4 in about 135 lbs. I currently have 3 holes in each ear which the third hole has I think .25 diamonds in it and I wear either small pearls or small gold studs in the second hole. For some reason I feel that the .48 pendant will get lost. Note: I have a big chest area
naughty.gif
about 36Cs so will that make a diff or am I making a mountain
21.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the three diamond set.

By the way, I noticed your user name but see that you are from Illinois. Did you attend UNC?

tarheel85

Rough_Rock
Yes I am a Carolina Girl currently living in Illinois. My husband is stationed here until next year.
1.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I was class of '86.
1.gif

just-ice

Rough_Rock
For some reason I feel that the .48 pendant will get lost. Note: I have a big chest area about 36Cs so will that make a diff or am I making a mountain
DeDe Garner
-------

I have a .50 in a necklace, diamond sets in a white gold tear drop shape. Wear an 18 in chain.....it will compliment....not get lost.
wink2.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/19/2004 1:53:13 PM tarheel85 wrote:

Thanks gals for your response. I am 5 ft 4 in about 135 lbs. I currently have 3 holes in each ear which the third hole has I think .25 diamonds in it and I wear either small pearls or small gold studs in the second hole. For some reason I feel that the .48 pendant will get lost. Note: I have a big chest area
naughty.gif
about 36Cs so will that make a diff or am I making a mountain
21.gif
----------------

You're about the same as my mother (but slightly taller), and I can tell you her pendant looked lovely on her, so I'm betting yours will look lovely on you, especially since I assume you're going for an ideal-cut.

tarheel85

Rough_Rock
Class of 85 here! Where did you live? I lived in Cobb dorm for two years, and apartment the third and Granville East the last year. My major was psych Go Heels
appl.gif

tarheel85

Rough_Rock
Yes, all stones considered are AGS ideal cuts. Thanks for the info.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I lived in some doozie's!!

Morrison and Hinton James my freshman year (my roommates were so horrible I almost dropped out!!)

One summer session I lived in Granville towers.

Parker my sophomore year in a triple (only 1 psycho roomie and she dropped out second semester)

Craige junior and senior year with a friend I met in BioChem class. She was an awesome roomie and we lived together after we graduated too. Lots of peace and quiet in the grad dorm that's for sure. She was nursing and I was dental hygiene. Still do that part time 18 years later!!

My parents flatly refused to let me live in an apartment, however they did buy me a car and I was lucky enough to get a parking pass.

diamonddoll

Rough_Rock
A lot of my friends have solitaire diaomd pendants from about .40 to .60 and they all look great. It's a classic look to have a solitaire in the near 1/2 carat range. If you think your bust will overwhlem the diamond then wear it closer to your neck. I'm the same height as you and have, ahem, slightly more curves, shall we say, according to my scale and I've tried on my friend's pendants and they look very nice on me. (If I do say so myself!) I mean, you lucky lady, if you can afford a whole set of diamond jewelry, I say go for it! Le us know what you decide.

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
if i were you, i'd go for the pendant and earrings. a .4-.5 ct pendant is lovely- a classic, elegant look.

Jenn

Rough_Rock
LOL, if you're worried about chest size, I have 36D's and I'm the owner of the .39 solitaire bezel pendant in the show me the ring folder...it doesn't get lost though ;-) I have the pendant on a 16 inch chain and I love it. So, don't worry about the size!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I just got a 1/2 ct bezel set pendant and I think it is a great size--not too small, not too big. At first, I thought anything less than a carat would do--but have you seen a full carat on your neck? Not that I wouldn't take one if someone gave it to me, but it's flashy and not necessary. The 1/2 ct is just enough to be substantial and believable... In terms of ratio to the body,let's just say Jenn and I have a "lot" in common!
2.gif

here is a link to the thread where I posted it, including some neck shots:

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic16548.html

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with getting earrings around .45 or whatever and a pendant to go with. It's fun having a set and worth going a *tiney* bit down in size for earrings to get a nice necklace to wear out. I got the Tiffany Diamonds By the Yard style single diamond .38 and it's amazing int that this necklace goes with EVERYTHING from t-shirts to fancy black dresses!

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/19/2004 2:11:31 PM tarheel85 wrote:

Go Heels
appl.gif
----------------

ARGGG! Go Wolfpack!
9.gif
11.gif
appl.gif

It burns my hubby that our niece & nephew are both Tarheels. Et Tu?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results