carat
color
clarity

Earring backs for Large 10 ctw diamond stud earrings

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I just had custom earring mountings designed for 2 5 ct diamonds (10 ctw studs). they have shortened Protekor / La Pousette posts (to 8 mm) but the earrings drop a little. I ordered Chrysmela Extra backs to see if those might help.

Few questions, on Protektor backs (earrings are 18K white gold but protector platinum for extra weight), are you supposed to lock them in every time or push past the lock to have a tighter fit? Since these are pretty large and expensive, I 100% want them ultra secure not to lose an earring ($80K loss for one would be painful). I can get these to work with pushing the back past the notches but I don't know how secure this is. I used to wear smaller studs always clicked into the notches but they were lighter so earrings would not droop (2.13 ct and 2.09 ct each, which are for sale by the way, reach out if interested, GIA J VS super ideal cut).

I don't know if Jumbo backs are as secure.

What would you choose from the most secure earrings backs for large studs?

Photos are with Protektor back pushed all the way to back of ear vs clicked into the notch.

Thank you!

IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3104-1.jpg IMG_3099.PNG IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3097.JPG IMG_3096.jpg IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3107.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3095.JPG
    IMG_3095.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 5

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I pretty much was unable to read anything after seeing “10 ctw” ! Just WOWZERS!

I’m the 2nd to last pic it doesn’t look as droopy.

I honestly don’t know what’s best for studs that large but I have always preferred jumbos on my clusters earrings and on my 4 ctw studs.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My studs are smaller than yours, but still large for my earlobes and cause drooping. I tried everything I could find and the product that helped the most for me is called Levears:

However, the type of post you have may be too wide for the holes in the Levears backs.

The other thing that also helps are just clear plastic discs that you place in between the back of your lobe and your currently back. But note that there are a variety of clear plastic discs on the market and many are too small and too thin, others have holes that are too small to push wider posts through. So shop around, read reviews and compare their stats before buying.

I have Chrysmela extra backs too and use them for other earrings (like my pearl studs, my Cartier Love hoops, and my VCA Sweets) and they work really well for smaller smaller studs and hoops. But for big studs, they don't work as well as Levears and even the inexpensive plastic discs. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll be very blunt, whoever made those mounts did you a disservice. They should have recommended (strongly and forcefully!!) against that almost-martini style… Stones this big really do need bigger baskets.

Is resetting an option? You’ve put so much money into this project already… Too much to have to deal with droopy earrings.

If not - blingdots in front of the lobe (cut them down to size so they don’t show face-forward) and plastic disks or the levears RWS recommended on the back. The extra support in front gives the very small basket area something flat and sturdy and inflexible to “fall”/“droop” into; I have this issue with some of my large and heavy pearls.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I’ll be very blunt, whoever made those mounts did you a disservice. They should have recommended (strongly and forcefully!!) against that almost-martini style… Stones this big really do need bigger baskets.

Is resetting an option? You’ve put so much money into this project already… Too much to have to deal with droopy earrings.

If not - blingdots in front of the lobe (cut them down to size so they don’t show face-forward) and plastic disks or the levears RWS recommended on the back. You need the support in front to give the very small basket area something flat and sturdy and inflexible to “fall” into.

I was going to say I think the problem is the baskets and not backs.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with what @yssie said. I didn't look at your setting when I replied. You really need a flat-bottomed setting for diamonds that large.

But even with flat bottom settings, you're going to need more support on the back side of the earlobe as well, both now and especially as you age. Our earlobes get less firm and earring drooping only increases.

I went from martini settings on my studs to flat bottomed basket/crown settings and it helped stabilize them, but didn't eliminate the droopage.

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My studs are smaller than yours, but still large for my earlobes and cause drooping. I tried everything I could find and the product that helped the most for me is called Levears:

However, the type of post you have may be too wide for the holes in the Levears backs.

The other thing that also helps are just clear plastic discs that you place in between the back of your lobe and your currently back. But note that there are a variety of clear plastic discs on the market and many are too small and too thin, others have holes that are too small to push wider posts through. So shop around, read reviews and compare their stats before buying.

I have Chrysmela extra backs too and use them for other earrings (like my pearl studs, my Cartier Love hoops, and my VCA Sweets) and they work really well for smaller smaller studs and hoops. But for big studs, they don't work as well as Levears and even the inexpensive plastic discs. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

I like the disk idea. I will try.

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Totally agree with what @yssie said. I didn't look at your setting when I replied. You really need a flat-bottomed setting for diamonds that large.

But even with flat bottom settings, you're going to need more support on the back side of the earlobe as well, both now and especially as you age. Our earlobes get less firm and earring drooping only increases.

I went from martini settings on my studs to flat bottomed basket/crown settings and it helped stabilize them, but didn't eliminate the droopage.

I think I made the mistake to have this mounting made as I tried a similar one in smaller size earrings before and they sat really well on my ears but in a larger size, you are correct they are more droopy, and if they were more flat or more round they would sit better.

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Trade

If not - blingdots in front of the lobe (cut them down to size so they don’t show face-forward) and plastic disks or the levears RWS recommended on the back. The extra support in front gives the very small basket area something flat and sturdy and inflexible to “fall”/“droop” into; I have this issue with some of my large and heavy pearls.

I wanted this style because I tried a very similar one, but yet in a smaller size, and really liked how it sat on my ears and the shape of my earlobe, which is kind of rounded a little bit. My main question on this post was what other backs could I use or is it safe to push the protektor backs all the way towards my ears which makes them not droop anymore but then they are not clicked into grooves to be more secure. I cannot really find any instructional videos on protektor backs even from the company.

teslagirl1234

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I pretty much was unable to read anything after seeing “10 ctw” ! Just WOWZERS!

I’m the 2nd to last pic it doesn’t look as droopy.

I honestly don’t know what’s best for studs that large but I have always preferred jumbos on my clusters earrings and on my 4 ctw studs.

Dream earrings. Selling some rings I am not wearing anymore and prior earrings almost paid for these and had one 5 Ct Diamond already from old ring. Pricescope was where I originally learned about super ideal cut diamonds and it’s been a passion since.

Omg I remember the days where I thought a big table was a good thing (Blue Nile adviser)… I’ve come a long way and it’s easy to change the mounting. But so far they are pretty comfy. Maybe just disks needed. First day enjoying these.

Your earrings are what mine want to be when they grow up! Heck, your earrings are what I want to be when I grow up! They’re AMAZING!

For drooping I’d say the plastic disks help a great deal, as does having a back that is flat and wide enough. I personally prefer screw backs as I find them more secure, but your posts will need to be modified for those. A combination of the clear plastic disk and screwing in a large flat earring back as close to the ear as possible should get them to sit straighter.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too believe the settings add to drooping on seeing the photos, and would recommend spending the money to have different settings made with larger and flatter basket bases that give more contact and support on the earlobes.

DK :))

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Chrysmela backs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results