shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring in Plat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starlite

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I''m a newbie here, although I have to admit I''ve been lurking around admiring all the lovely rings!! Nice to find a forum where I can share my passion for Diamonds!

I have a question in regards to platinum...

My husband and I purchased my E-ring in the States 7 yrs ago (pear diamond, baguette on either side set in plat.). The platinum has a nice heaviness to it and the prongs are what i would consider normal size for similar E-rings I''ve seen anyway.

However, now that we''re living in Hong Kong I''ve noticed that alot of the rings here done in platinum are much lighter in weight and the prongs/band seem to be of less platinum substance.

I asked one jeweller in the Mandarin Oriental why that is, and she said they do it to "showcase" the diamonds more...and that the locals like the lighter weight rather than heavy ("as alot of westerners do").

I have to say that the smaller prongs and lesser use of platinum did showcase the diamonds very nicely and made the whole setting look less chunky...if i''m making any sense.
(these were huge diamond rings like something you''d see at Harry Winston...stunning!)

But, I love the weight of my plat ring. Nice & heavy, no mistaking it for white gold.

So i''m curious, does the weight of the platinum setting make any diiference in quality or is it just a personal choice making no difference one way or the other?

Would the diamonds be safe & secure in a setting used with less plat?

Thanks!
35.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
There are different mixes of Platinum which I think would lead to the different weights, also they will wear differently.
See this link: http://www.diamondsunlimited.com/platinum_alloy_mixes.html

Prong size can be changed for any metal. You can have your prongs shaved down, if your jeweler does not think it will comprimise your diamonds.

Hope that answers your question.

* i am not an expert *

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results