shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring for him?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Happy Friday ladies!

I was wondering if anyone here bought an "e-ring" for your SO after you got engaged? My bf and I have already purchased my e-ring (for which I am ANXIOUSLY waiting!), and I am thinking it might be nice to get him a nice new ring as well.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t done it yet, since we''re not engaged, but I will be buying him an engagement ring. (He knows this). He wants a wedding band with a little bling in it, so we''ll probably just go for a plain gold band for his e-ring. I also like the idea of him being able to use the plain band as a back-up for when we travel and stuff.

I was just thinking about this, and was wondering if anyone else is going to do it. Good timing on starting this thread!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
FF doesn''t really wear jewelry, and has already said he only plans on wearing his wedding band ever. The man doesn''t even wear a WATCH.

So I''m pretty sure we''ll just be waiting til the wedding for him...though I''ve definitely been thinking of other things to buy for him as an engagement present.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 3:53:13 PM
Author: vc10um
FF doesn''t really wear jewelry, and has already said he only plans on wearing his wedding band ever. The man doesn''t even wear a WATCH.

So I''m pretty sure we''ll just be waiting til the wedding for him...though I''ve definitely been thinking of other things to buy for him as an engagement present.
Yeah, I guess I should point out that BF wears a small diamond stud in each ear (I swear he does not appear as unclassy as this may make him sound
3.gif
), and a watch. So he''s definitely not anti-jewelry.

littlemissmango

Rough_Rock
You mean a MAN-gagement ring? :) I just started a thread about this on another site! I saw this story night before last:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/man-gagement-ring/story?id=9009112
(there is a video available as well)

I''m undecided, if I would consider doing this or not. He would not be wearing it after the wedding, whereas I obviously would be wearing my e-ring AND wedding band. And, part of me almost feels like I want the one ring that he gives me to be special -- the only thing representing our engagement.

Funny thing, that night I had told myself I would try to find a segue into a "When do you want to get engaged?" discussion, since engagement hasn''t been brought up in a while (although future baby names have...WTH!) and when the show came on I was like -- BINGO!! Perfect! But then, I looked over and he was totally asleep on the couch. I woke him up, and then he immediately went to bed before the segment came on. ARGH! Lol

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 3:59:41 PM
Author: lilyfoot

Date: 11/13/2009 3:53:13 PM
Author: vc10um
FF doesn't really wear jewelry, and has already said he only plans on wearing his wedding band ever. The man doesn't even wear a WATCH.

So I'm pretty sure we'll just be waiting til the wedding for him...though I've definitely been thinking of other things to buy for him as an engagement present.
Yeah, I guess I should point out that BF wears a small diamond stud in each ear (I swear he does not appear as unclassy as this may make him sound
3.gif
), and a watch. So he's definitely not anti-jewelry.
LOL!

My bf wears a LOT of jewelry- he is a weirdo
9.gif
. He owns more rings than I do! And he is never without his cuff bracelet and cuff watch. I'd like to get him a nice ring as an upgrade to all the beaten up sterling silver ones he has- get him one he'd really be proud of.

I am really debating between getting him a legitimate family crest ring- or a less expensive but still nice decorative ring. It'll be an engagement/Christmas present.

Here is a pic of the family crest ring I am considering for him:

ETA- littlemissmango- that's hilarious! I didn't see your post before I replied.

Silver-Signet-Ring-2.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 4:28:11 PM
Author: IrisAccents

Here is a pic of the family crest ring I am considering for him:
Iris, that''s really cool! It looks like my class ring from my Undergrad. I have one that has the University seal printed on it like that!

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
vc10um- thanks! He''s super-Irish and would treasure it forever.

So it seems like engagement presents for the guy are common, but not necessarily rings. Interesting...

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
I gave my hubby an e-ring. It's a simple 4mm white gold band with a .5 carat sapphire (set in line with the band). Quite a few of our men friends also wear e-ring as well. He wears it every day, with his w-band. I'll see if I can find some pics

Lozza

Shiny_Rock
I''ve bought my SO a nice watch to give him after he asks me. It''s been sitting in my drawer for about 3 months burning a hole in my pocket!! I hope I can give it to him soon!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
My BF just isn''t a jewellery guy so I won''t get him a mangagement ring.

(He doesn''t even want a watch!!)

One of my friends got engaged and her BF also got an engagement ring - white gold with a flash of diamonds.

I think the mangagement ring is a good idea - especialy if the couple already live together or has been dating exclusively for a while. I like the symbolism of deepening commitment.

454mangagement1.jpg

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I would love to be able to give BF and engagement watch but he has very expensive taste and it would probably cost more then my e-ring and I just can''t afford that!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my husband his dream car (Subaru ST) - well, a down payment equal in value to the amount of my e-ring. He wouldn''t have worn another ring, since I''d bought him a titanium ring for a birthday or something about 4 years into our relationship, and he doesn''t wear a watch - the car seemed to be the only thing that fit.

Another PSer, Iwannaprettyone, surprised her FI with the Harley he''d had his eye on. I think she has a thread here somewhere.
9.gif

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
My BF is very anti-jewelry. The only thing I''ve ever seen him wear is a leather bracelet he got years ago @ A&F.

When we do get engaged, I''ll be buying him a new clutch to get his sports car back on the road. At a cost of nearly $5,000, I think that will do
emsmile.gif

davidbest

Rough_Rock
Well I''m not married yet and I''m a man - but I think I would like t have a black Titanium ring when I do. Personally I''m not one for a lot of bling... But everyone has their different taste!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I gave my husband an engagement band when we got engaged: for us, it was both a nod to his traditions (he''s Swedish, and there engagement is signified by the couple wearing matching bands), and a nice sort of move towards equality. Never could understand why the woman is the only one marked as "taken" ....
41.gif

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
It''s funny that this topic just came up, ''cause I''ve been struggling with the idea of getting Mr. H a ring for Christmas. He''s supposed to propose by the end of the year (his timeline, not mine), so I figure it would be nice of us to both have a representation of it, KWIM? That being said, however, he''s not much of a jewellery wearer, so I''m debating on whether or not it would be a waste of $..

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Not me. It is like pulling teeth to even get my guy to say he''ll wear a wedding ring. He NEVER wears any jewelry, not even a watch, becaiuse he thinks it is uncomfortable, so it will be a big change for him when we get married. I don''t think I''ll be getting him an engagement present either. I will be saving money for the wedding, and he wouldn''t want me to do something extravagant.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
eek, I''m in the traditional camp so no e-ring for the bf. It''s a nice thought, but to me, the guy owns the e-ring responsiblity and the girl does most of the wedding planning. Like I said, I love some traditions since so many are disappearing. In terms of the bf getting some kind symbolic jewelry, I think some buy a watch to commemorate the special time. I never did though.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
My son and his GF are basically ''pre-engaged'' (they have discussed marriage, but don''t have a date set)...he wears a thin sterling silver band on his ring finger, he likes the idea of being ''spoken for''...he also makes ''natural'' style jewelry, he uses polished stones/rocks/crystals and copper wire that he hangs on leather cords to make really cool/hip necklaces that are ''guy'' friendly...he wears his own stuff a lot and gets tons of compliments from both guys and girls...so he''s definitely jewelry friendly to begin with, which makes a difference.

One of our close guy friends also wore a stainless steel band during his engagement and got a white gold wedding ring, but he actually liked the SS one more and said it held up better than the white gold one has!

Just depends on the guy I guess!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2009 9:43:41 AM
Author: janinegirly
eek, I''m in the traditional camp so no e-ring for the bf. It''s a nice thought, but to me, the guy owns the e-ring responsiblity and the girl does most of the wedding planning. Like I said, I love some traditions since so many are disappearing. In terms of the bf getting some kind symbolic jewelry, I think some buy a watch to commemorate the special time. I never did though.

I guess it depends on which culture and traditions you are speaking of. As was mentioned it is traditional in some cultures/countries (Sweden), for both to get a ring upon engagement! And we are part Swedish, LOL, so I guess it could be considered traditional for my DS to wear a band!
2.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2009 10:17:44 AM
Author: Ara Ann

Date: 11/27/2009 9:43:41 AM
Author: janinegirly

I guess it depends on which culture and traditions you are speaking of. As was mentioned it is traditional in some cultures/countries (Sweden), for both to get a ring upon engagement! And we are part Swedish, LOL, so I guess it could be considered traditional for my DS to wear a band!
2.gif
Ah, thanks for clarifying--I missed that part (sorry!). And makes sense since I''ve often seen Europeans wearing a ring (but not no what we consider the wedding finger). In that case, go for it!!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Not a chance. First, he and I have been searching for the perfect rock and even if he were to buy one now, then he''d have to decide on a setting, have it made, etc. That would probably take beyond Christmas with the holiday back up jewelers tend to experience. Second, he''s one for surprise and he would know that I would "expect" it during a holiday or some other event.

I honestly have no idea. My guess is that it will come next spring.... I hope
17.gif

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I sort of did actually. I just bought him a plain band a couple of months afterwards though, nothing fancy. I told him he can have his fancy ring when he finally finishes buying the rest of mine! lol

Nice to meet everybody! I''ve been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join in for real !

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
I gave my husband an engagement band when we got engaged: for us, it was both a nod to his traditions (he''s Swedish, and there engagement is signified by the couple wearing matching bands), and a nice sort of move towards equality. Never could understand why the woman is the only one marked as "taken" ....
Interesting point about both the equality, and also the idea that you are being "marked".

I guess I never looked at it as being marked as taken, but being presented with a gift to mark the occasion and the commitment. I guess it is a mark, but one that I have always looked at as a positive.
1.gif
As for the equality, I have always thought that gifts should be reciprocated- he is getting me something very nice that I will love, so why shouldn''t he receive one as well? Also, we are splitting the cost of the e-ring- and we have always done everything in equal parts.

This is neat reading what everyone got their SO when they became engaged- I am seeing a lot of watches, but not a ton of rings.

Side note, I went ahead and got him the crest ring and the proof looks amazing! I am really impressed with the company I have been working with!

Reardon-Cavalier.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Really lovely ring! I think he''ll like it a lot!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I suggested it, but my husband's answer was "There is no way in hell I am wearing an ENGAGEMENT ring. Everyone who matters already knows we are getting married."

So that was that. Not like we needed another thing to spend money on anyway
3.gif
If the guy in question loves jewelry and sees the appeal, it's a great idea!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Iris, that ring looks FAB! Can''t wait to see pictures when it comes in!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results