shape
carat
color
clarity

DVatche vs. Elara? Flanders vs. Jubilee? PLEASE ADVISE.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Spanish Style

Rough_Rock

This is my first posting and I’d like to begin by acknowledging how awsome this resource is for first time diamond buyers like myself. After several years of maintaining a trans-Atlantic relationship, I am very excited to finally be making the move to Europe and asking the woman I love to marry me. Having spent hours reading the postings on this forum, scouring the internet and talking with more than 20 local jewelers, I’m finally zeroing in on the perfect solitaire engagement ring…sort of. You see, I want the ring to be a surprise and I could use some advice from a few knowledgeable diamond jewelry aficionados like yourselves J

WHAT WE WANT: The look we’re going for is traditional yet contemporary(?). We want a platinum solitaire setting with classic simplicity that will stand the test of time. Something with a low profile and somewhat understated. Regarding the diamond, I am more interested in a quality cut and brilliance than size. My girlfriend is fairly small (ring size 4.75) and doesn’t normally wear much jewelry. In fact, my greatest concern is getting her something that she is comfortable with as the traditional 1 ct. diamond ring is not the norm in Spain and she tends to be rather modest anyway. I think something in the 0.50-0.75 ct. range would suit her just fine. I really like the modified square cuts, could always fall back on the round brilliant and do not care for the princess. Any suggestions?

WHAT I’M THINKING

THE DIAMOND: I’m leaning toward the Flanders or Jubilee although I’ve been unable to see either in person. The box radiant is also an option but I understand it is very hard to find a decent cut. I prefer the brilliant look of the round rather than the “crushed ice” look of the princess. A couple of jewelers have told me that anything less than a 1 carat modified square will not stand out so I may as well go with a round. Any thoughts on this?

THE SETTING: Please share your opinion on the following three settings. 1) DVatche X-prong; 2) Elara Crown setting; 3) Hearts on Fire “Seduction” setting. I understand that the Elara and HOF are expensive branded cuts and that their settings are supposedly only available with their branded diamonds. I have no intention to pay for the branded stones but I would like your opinions on the STYLE of these settings (can always have custom made).

I was almost sold on the DVatche X-prong and then I saw the Elara Crown Solitaire https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/elaras.jpg The DVatche is obviously very popular and I think it meets all of my criteria as outlined above---simple, elegant and lasting. I’m somewhat concerned that a smaller diamond (.60ct.) in the X-prong will interfere with the smooth lines of this setting as the prongs need to bend upward faster to hold the smaller stone.

The Elara setting impressed me in person. I like the boldness of the Elara and the fact that it is a bit less common than the Dvatche/Lucida look. I’m particularly interested in everyone’s opinion about the style of this setting. I really like the low profile but would you say this look is understated? Do you think it would stand the test of time? Finally, the Seduction setting also impressed me in person although the photos don’t do it justice. Anyone seen it in person? I think I prefer the DVatche and Elara setting because they seem a bit more “classic.”

SUMMARY OF QUESTIONS: Which of the cuts listed above do you recommend for brilliance…Flanders, Jubilee or Radiant? How does the Dvatche X-prong look with a smaller (.60ct.) diamond? What are your thoughts on the style of the Elara setting? How would you compare the x-prong and Elara settings with regard to style and staying power?

I had hoped to have the ring before leaving for Spain on July 18 but it has taken longer to research than anticipated. I know that I’ve asked many questions but I needed to get all of this out of my head and am anxiously awaiting your feedback. Thank you.

dvatche_platinum_08.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
My girlfriend has an elara engagement ring and I thought it was very beautiful and I contacted them and they will only sell their settings with their diamonds. The only possibility that may change that is if you can go to an Elara authorized dealer and sometimes if they want to make the sale they will call Elara and tell them it is an heirloom stone and they may choose to set it, but I think the Vatache is just as beautiful and much less hassle.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!
Well, as for the diamond, here are a few of my thoughts.
The Elara is a brand name Flanders. So you will pay a premium for it. Not worth it imo.
Finding a Flanders will be a REAL challenge.
The Jubilee is a hearts and arrows cut and is a beautiful stone too. Probably less expensive than the Elara, less than a Flanders.
Good Old Gold has tons of stones, including the Jubilee, and one Flanders (if it's still there)
I'm sure they can get you more. So can Nice Ice for sure.
GOG is great to work with and so is Mark at engagement rings direct. (where I ultimately purchased). YOu tell him what you want and he finds it.

As for the setting, I love a nice classic look. You can't go wrong there!

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the link to the Vatche Double Prong X-Prong and Jubilee ring that I bought: EP6585''s Ring

I bought it from GOG and was very happy with their service.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Spanish Style - Have you decided which cut and/or setting you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results