shape
carat
color
clarity

drooling over this benitoite...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
1.40ct benitoite from TGT

I don''t normally like pear shapes, but everything else about this benitoite is so perfect (except for the price, but that''s par for the course when it comes to benitoite over 1ct). I hope someone from PS picks it up!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stone, and I, too, was drooling over the round one yesterday, but how do you plan to set this one? It is so soft, won''t look well in jewelry, and I certainly don''t want it to lie in my box. He had a great hayune but someone took care of it before me...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really like The Gem Trader. I like the pink tourmaline they have up, and the cat''s eye kyanite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it a little too dark for my taste. Reminds me of a dark blue spinel. It does have size going for it though since these stones rarely get over 50 points, let alone a carat in gem quality material.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...I am clenching my fists since I really like star sapphire (I really liked the one Arcadian once bought!). But I have ordered something else from our precision cutter and have to be careful. I have a whole safe full of stuff and then nowhere to wear it because I am in such a haste in the morning...Time to sell cheaper stuff, I guess, but these days you can never know what "cheaper" means. I wanted to sell my small tsavorite earrings but then looked at the prices...Wanted to sell my tourmaline but then noticed that it had been sold to me as "paraiba" (the store was going out of business). Likely, not, but the guy was totally honest with all other stones, so why not check it first?
Wanted to sell my Charriol dangling earrings...my appraiser said I was crazy to do it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
that is a fantastic benitooite. I am a big fan of them & always mean to get one but the one for me has yet to present itself in my price range.
The cat eye danburite though.....yes I did.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty; great color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder for how long it will stay on their list.

And in general, does anyone have experience with setting these stones? Like bezeling them in a ring?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 8:05:53 PM
Author: crasru
I wonder for how long it will stay on their list.

And in general, does anyone have experience with setting these stones? Like bezeling them in a ring?

I would not bezel a benitoite, they''re too soft and that particular one is too dark.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...are they good for setting or merely collector''s stones?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I Jstar has a smaller one that is set.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 10:43:13 PM
Author: crasru
So...are they good for setting or merely collector's stones?

They're about as soft as tanzanite, so pendants are a better choice. In a ring, one would have to be more careful. A benitoite that large is very rare, so I would be worried about chips and damage to the stone. It would be safer in a pendant, and should be set by an expert benchperson that can handle soft colored gems.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was drooling over the star sapphire, but no more funds!

I''m hoping to get my benitoite set soooon! Patrick is working on pendant models for me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results