shape
carat
color
clarity

Driving on the left...any suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone!! Well, my husband and I are leaving next month for a three-week trip to Ireland. I am soooo excited, I finally get to go to the land my ancestors came from and see its majestic beauty!!
1.gif
I have traveled to many other countries, however, I have never been to one where they drive on the left instead of the right. I''m a little worried!!

Anyone have any suggestions?? Is it hard, or will we get used to it pretty quick?? Anything special I should know?
16.gif

Thanks for the help!
3.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i got used to it very quickly. it helps if you have one person that stays as navigator and the other as the designated driver [did this in scotland and france]. however, i was traveling solo in ireland and had no problem. it actually makes lots of sense and i had a harder time when i returned to the states adjusting than adjusting to being on the left. i think roundabouts are very sensible. love driving in australia for the same reason: i like to drive and adjust easily to the left and love roundabouts.

when you get to a roundabout, especially the big ones, don''t feel pressured to have to make a decision. move to the center of the roundabout and go around as many times as you need to decide which is the exit you''re looking for. do another lap and move to the outside to take your exit.

ireland is really not a high traffic country. you''ll do fine. however, park your car outside of dublin and train in. parking fees in downtown dublin are incredibly steep.

btw, western ireland has moved to gaelic signage for town names, streets, etc. this is very recent. any map you have with the names you and i would recognize will probably need to be cross referenced with a map obtained their reflecting the name spelling changes.

a town in donegal that already had a very gaelic name got a change anyway...it was decided to go back to the name of the town from the middle ages!

if you get out to the burren, there is an interesting perfumery.

peace, movie zombie

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Movie Zombie - Thanks!! I''ve spoke to a few people who say it really isn''t that hard. My husband is the designated driver (he''s a slow driver here, so he''ll work out well there as we get used to the change, hehehe), and I''m the navigator because I have a really good sense of direction, hardly ever get lost and love reading maps ( plus I''m kind of a zippy driver, don''t want to cause any accidents!) so this works out perfectly!

As for the signage change - UGH!!! Well, I guess I''ll have to purchase one when we get over there. Talk about making it hard on tourists! Oh well....

We are returning the car before we get to Dublin. Our plan is to land in Dublin, pick up the car, and spend the first two weeks driving around the country. Then the last week we are returning to Dublin, returning the car, and seeing Dublin by foot and bus and what-have-you. Our hotel in Dublin is right downtown in the middle of everything, so it would be silly to use the car and pay for another week.

I''m so excited!!
36.gif
Thanks again for your help!!
9.gif

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Hi Irisheyes......

Most cars there are manual/stick so if you can get an automatic that helps.

If you get on a motorway out of Dublin the speed lanes are left lane slow, middle go with the flow of traffic and right lane fast/overtaking. People usually stick to that and most people use indicators so there are few surprises. You may find on the smaller roads people will wave you to go at intersections - all very civilised.

It's not hard at all......movie zombie is right....take your time at roundabouts.....always indicate when coming off.

The open roads are lovely .....not much traffic ......if you have someone driving close behind you trying to overtake there are laybys you can pull into so they can pass then you can go about your leisurely drive.

Have a great trip and have a guiness for me when you get to Dublin!!!
embeer.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results