shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Update! (finally)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous dress!
30.gif
I love the style of the lace - it''s so delicate, elegant, and tasteful. WOW!

Fata, I''m not sure what the cause is, but "the girls" look enormous in the dress with the ivory sash. I don''t know if it''s the gathered skirt or the gathered sash, or the change in color. I''m thinking it''s the gathered skirt. The first dress with the blue sash has a more streamlined look, whereas the second has a softer, fuller look.

Regarding sash color, I think I prefer an ivory sash because the blue draws your eye to your waist and away from your face. Regarding which skirt style, I think both are nice - depends what you want.

Great dress!
1.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
LOL...I just realized that the big smile in that one pic is actually because we were talking about my shoes!
3.gif

It was the first time I got to see them with the dress, and it took me FOREVER to find shoes that I liked, plus the hem was up, so you could see them peeking out. I won''t go into the whole saga, but here is what I ended up with:

Jody by Peter Fox Shoes:

(these are on "sale" - their shoes are pricey, but SO comfortable because they are mostly made for theatre, etc. Better, actually, than the ballroom shoes I tried)

shoe 1.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Starryeyed: LOL! You are completely right about the girls! But most of that is because adding the lining made the lace stop "hanging" and thus it now needs to be taken in a lot. Though I don''t think the gathers help the impression either.
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Your dress is absolutely gorgeous and you look beautiful in it!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
The gathers in the fuller, more recent version are more flattering to you, IMO, as they fall away from your body, as opposed to clinging to it.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I think your dress is beautiful! I like the gathered and non-gathered look, sorry, no help here! I think they''re both pretty so if you prefer the non-gathered, I''d say go w/that.

Very pretty! I also like the ivory sash too.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Robbie and Dixie: Thanks! I can''t wait to wear the finished dress.

SG: Oh, I agree that it needs to float away from my body, but I don''t think gathers are the best way to go about it! I called today and we are going to try darts tapered from my waist to the top of my hip (about 8" down), so that the skirt will fill out more gradually. I think (hope) it will be a little more elegant and a little more flattering!

I made the next fitting appt. for May 26th, so I will definitely post more pics after that.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Fatafelice, I just noticed this while looking through the thread again: I think that the cut of the top of the slip you''re wearing in the first set of pictures is really flattering. I think it looks really cool to have some of the lace against your skin as well as against the lining/slip. Just thought I''d share
1.gif
. It really does look great both ways though.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I MUCH prefer the ivory sash, not the blue one. I think you made the right choice.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Fata: I LOVE this dress!! You made a great choice and I love the ivory sash added on as well. I wish I could have worn something with the sash...because I just love sashes, but my body just doesn''t fit that style. In any event, love the dress, love the sash!! And I love that picture your friend took showing the e-ring. Great shot!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:14:28 PM
Author: surfgirl
The gathers in the fuller, more recent version are more flattering to you, IMO, as they fall away from your body, as opposed to clinging to it.
Totally agree.....much prefer the gathers. It makes the dress more romantic and soft looking. I don''t think smoother (think sleek) works as well with lace (antique-y, which isn''t sleek).

TOTALLY prefer the ivory sash.....the blue, while a lovely shade, is far too commanding.

In the second pics, Fata.....GORGEOUS. VERY dreamy and romantic looking. Nice choice!

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
I really, really, really liked the pics of the ivory sashed dress...the way it falls, how the ivory makes it look so elegant, it''s like a completely different dress!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I didn''t get a chance to reply before this, but...

Robbie: Oh, I definitely prefer that look as well, but it came down to a choice between comfort and aesthetics and I went with comfort...Since the lace is so delicate, it cannot really support the entire weight of the dress (and my chest). To create a strapless dress underneath, with my lace over top, the entire gown would have had to be more structured and less soft. This way, they lace is completely supported and I can wear a normal bra. *Sigh* Sometimes I wish I had a much smaller chest.

FG, Onedrop, and Jester: I am definitely glad that I decided to go with the ivory sash. I just had another fitting and it looked great and when I look at the pictures, i find myself noticing the lace so much more.

Aljdewey: What I was hoping for was actually something in between the completely sleek and the completely gathered look, and I think they managed to accomplish that at the last fitting by using darts instead.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I had another (4th) fitting this weekend and I am very pleased with the changes that had been made! They swapped the gathers out for darts to the top of my hip, which keeps my waist from looking bulky, but lets the rest of the skirt stay full and soft. The back and chest hat been taken in, and all the lining was in. I particularly love the way she lined the bottom with a separate ruffled lining with crinoline behind.

There were still a few things that needed to be fixed, though. The nature of the netting is that it is very hard to make it lay flat, so the seamstress had to pin down a lot of little bumps and bubbles in the bodice that will have to be fixed, along with a spot or two near the hem. The armholes felt a little tight, so she is going to let them out a little. And with all the work that has been done, the centerfront has gotten a little short, so she has to let it back down about two inches.

I am also going to try to get a crinoline to try for the next fitting, because I would like the dress to stand out a little more at the bottom. Any suggestions on good places online to buy one?

web fitting 4a.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a close-up of the hem and train...

web fitting 4b.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Seeing what it feels to walk in the dress...

web fitting 4c.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
The back...

web fitting 4d.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
The bustle is pinned up here...(and I am not examining my own cleavage - I am discussing some of the trim with the seamstress!
2.gif
)

web fitting 4e.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Last one that shows the bustle a little better...I am not 100% happy with how it pulls the skirt in so much around my ankles, but I don''t really have any other options. We''ll see how it changes with a crinoline under it next week.

web fitting 4f.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh wow! it''s so luxurious! love the changes!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
The dress looks SO lovely now! Wow, what a difference from the first photos...You look radiant in the dress too so I can see how much you love it. It does look very flattering on you. Lovely and so unique!

You know, you probably can get a crinoline skirt from a local bridal shop...But I dont know that I''d want to poof it out at all. It looks lovely the way it falls now, and I think it''s going to be more flattering and slimming without a crinoline...
36.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks wonderful!
30.gif

I''ve heard great things about the ebay store Angel''s bridal for crinolines, but I''m not sure if even the smallest crinoline would be too poofy for your dress.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Fata, it is such a beautiful and unique dress, you look just beautiful in it-
I''m glad you stayed w/the ivory sash as well, much more in keeping w/the feel of the dress

I can''t help w/the crinoline as i''m not wearing one, but fellow ps''ers will know where to go

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks great!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow, Surfgirl, and Labbie: Thank you! I am very happy with the changes as well, and hopefully after this weekend, it will be perfect!

Anchor: Thanks, I''ll check them out...I am not completely sold on a crinoline, but I do want it to have a *little* more fullness. Most ones I have seen online would be too much, though. I have started looking for vintage petticoats as well, since they might achieve the right shape.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the changes, I''ve been watching the dress take shape and I think with the arm holes let out and the front fixed a bit it''s going to look just beautiful.

Are you going to wear it completely lined on top... or sweetheart the lining on top? If you''re accepting votes... I vote for sweethearting the top.

The lace is just amazing. What a good eye you have. The dress is going to be so special and unique!! Can''t wait to see it finished!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy! I wish you had gotten to see it when you were still on this coast!
2.gif

As for the top, see my response to Robbie above the last set of pics. As much as I would have had liked to have it that way, it just wasn't meant to be. And it is definitely too late now to change my mind.
39.gif

ETA: Thanks, Robbie! (sorry I missed you last time...I don't like how we don't have as long to edit now!)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
fatafelice, the dress is absolutely perfect on you!
30.gif

The "girls" look great too!
9.gif
The changes were totally worth it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way they fanned out the train, and (again) how it shows off that lace. Your dress is gorgeous and unique. Somehow you can tell in an instant that this is a true one-of-a-kind gown!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too hon! Funny thing is you look REALLY familiar to both me a John. Can't place it though. I'll let you know if I do!

I understand bust issues. Practicallity does win. But... if I can offer one suggestion? Would it have been possible for her to do the sweetheart neck with the ivory then used a skin colored sheer (think dance and ice dancing clothes)for the rest of the lining up there so that it would look like a sweetheart neck but have the support of a fully lined gown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results