shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 9:04:00 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Viet Nam? What''s in Viet Nam? Spectacular mountains. Beautiful seascapes. Wonderful beaches. Delicious cuisine. Fascinating architecture. Rich history. The most unbelievably positive vibe (the growth rate is incredible and almost everyone is under 30...so for them things are looking up up up!). Let''s see if I have any pictures to post...

I LOVED Viet Nam. I was ready to move there.
Yes, post some pictures! I''d love to see them.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 10:35:57 AM
I constantly dream of travel, even while I''m ACTUALLY traveling, but at the moment here are my special faves:

1) Bhutan. I have been DYING to see Bhutan. But even just a visa is something like $200 a day and they are few and far between.

2) Mongolia... must...taste... fermented mare''s milk. OK, actually I''d probably skip that part. But hiring nomads to bring me along, riding and sleeping in tents, etc. for a week or so would be amazing.

3) Trek to the North Pole. I''d probably have to train for 6 months or so to be in super-ultimate shape. But how COOL would that be? And if I lost a toe to frostbite, so be it. I''d still have 9 more!

4) Wildlife watching on either South Georgia Island (near Antarctica) or in the Galapagos.

5) Tunisia. Except that last time my honey was there he was caught in a riot, pelted with rocks, and almost killed. So I''m guessing he''s not keen to go back any time soon!

And frankly? I''m kind of just craving some days on the beach at the moment. So, i''ll join the Tahiti chorus.

Hey JustJulia: My parents lived in Malawi for a bit... before I was born though.
Cool. It is one of the treasures of Africa. Beautiful mountains, forests, a lake so large it looks like the ocean with pretty beaches, and warm wonderful people. Next time you talk with your parents, tell them you know someone who spent their honeymoon on the Zomba Plateau.
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, a brief taste of Viet Nam!

vn 2.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Plus, if you''re feeling like Indiana Jones, you can head south from Viet Nam into Cambodia to explore creepy deserted temple ruins in the jungle. Well, they were deserted when I was there. By now they could be over-run! But boy was this a highlight of my life so far.

camb 3.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another Viet Nam shot. This lady''s sister took me out on a boat into the rice paddies. Coolio! It was one of those strage cultural moments where I had absolutely NO idea what harvesting tools and implements were for... information that was practically second nature to my hosts, and my ignorance was hilarious to them. And they had no idea what the band-aid I offered for my host''s cut finger could POSSIBLY be for. East meets West.

vn 3.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
This lady is trying to take a bundle of freshly made noodles into Ha Noi on the back of her motorbike and she got STUCK! (You can see more noodles drying against the wall). Poor lady. And think of all those hungry people waiting for their Pho! Random, but for some reason I love this photo.

vn4.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Just one more for now. This is a street scene in Ha Noi. Dig the lady with the baskets across her shoulders. She's swingin' it Old School. By the way, note how clean the streets are. If any of you have ever traveled in the developing world, you'll see what I mean. Everyone sweeps up their garbage meticulously into piles and it's collected every night.

vn 5.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the pics!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Indepdendent Gal I love your pictures! One of my favorite trips was to Japan and China and I would love to return to Asia to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. I am older than many of you and have already traveled quite a bit, but I would also like to see the Greek Isles and South America and Africa.

Julia you got married in Malawi - how exotic and exciting!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 10:14:07 PM
Author: Sundial
Indepdendent Gal I love your pictures! One of my favorite trips was to Japan and China and I would love to return to Asia to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. I am older than many of you and have already traveled quite a bit, but I would also like to see the Greek Isles and South America and Africa.

Thailand is AMAZING! I lived in Thailand and Singapore for about 1/2 my life and miss it so much. I''ve been aching to get back...trust me, once you get there it gets under your skin and into your blood and you can''t stop wanting to return...*sigh* Now I''m homesick...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 10:14:07 PM
Author: Sundial

Yes, it actually was quite exotic. It was a combination traditional/embassy wedding. We had a blast. I had a "kitchen party" before the wedding, which was our equivalent of a shower, and they advised me to to not put up with a husband "pinching" and "getting drunk," lol. (Or was it "drunk and pinching"? lol lol)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Ind Girl those pics are breath taking! You have been to so many wonderful places!

I forgot to say I want to go to Singapore and Bali.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My dream vacation is to go to Europe for a couple weeks with plane/train and hotel reservations booked, but no other agenda. I''d love to explore museums, cafes, and all the local attractions at our own pace. DH and I always wanted to take this trip after college but it wasn''t in the budget (we''re so practical!) I hope we can do it before too long.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 9:29:39 PM
Plus, if you''re feeling like Indiana Jones, you can head south from Viet Nam into Cambodia to explore creepy deserted temple ruins in the jungle. Well, they were deserted when I was there. By now they could be over-run! But boy was this a highlight of my life so far.
Thanks so much for sharing those photos! I think I live a bit of a sheltered life as I''ve lusted over the idea of exploring ancient ruins around the world (like the one pic. you have of Cambodia), & the ones in Guatamala & Belize, but am too chicken to go. Believe it or not, I almost majored in MesoAmerican Archaeology, but ended up not finishing my courses and just making pottery instead! lol Maybe someday, huh?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I love your pictures of Vietnam! Thanks for sharing Independent Gal. I hope to visit there someday. There are so many places I want to travel to!

I can''t wait to see what the new 7 wonders are!

Elise

Rough_Rock
i''m a sucker for beautiful exotic resorts. would love to visit an aman resort. any one would do!
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 6:58:36 AM
Author: Elise
i'm a sucker for beautiful exotic resorts. would love to visit an aman resort. any one would do!
30.gif
Me too. The owner was at the same restaurant as I, and I was sorely tempted to ask him for a job.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 10:35:57 AM
1) Bhutan. I have been DYING to see Bhutan. But even just a visa is something like $200 a day and they are few and far between.

And frankly? I''m kind of just craving some days on the beach at the moment. So, i''ll join the Tahiti chorus.
DF is jonesing to go to Bhutan.
Count me in the Tahiti chorus.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 6:46:48 PM
Author: thing2of2
I desperately want to go to Japan, especially Tokyo! I want to shop until I drop in Tokyo and then go to some smaller towns and the countryside for a little while, too. I don''t want to go to Europe for a long time...I''ve been there 4 times and I''m over it!
Wouldn''t mind an inn near hot springs.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I have an acquaintance who was in Bhutan this spring. The photos he brought back were amazing. He found the country and culture to be really fascinating as well.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 8:12:39 PM
Author: NYCsparkle
definately new zealand and australia. i''d love to go hiking and kayaking through n.z. then on the way home i''d like to stop in tahiti for some r&r in an over the water hut.
9.gif
I. Want. To. Retire. In. Sydney.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 1:18:47 AM
Author: musey
haha, I guess I'm beginning to develop a reputation around here!
2.gif
Musey,
What's your avatar now?
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 10:29:12 PM
Author: Skippy123
Wow, Ind Girl those pics are breath taking! You have been to so many wonderful places!

Skippypie,
I''m afraid there is not much to do in Singapore beside eating and shopping.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Well, since I''m leaving for my honeymoon in South Africa on Thursday (yea, I''m married!) I would have to say that''s my dream trip.

However, I''ve never been to France and I would love to go to Paris and the South of France.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 2:29:33 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 6/24/2007 10:29:12 PM

Skippypie,
I'm afraid there is not much to do in Singapore beside eating and shopping.
My friend just went and she did a lot out there. She went to Orchard Road, the Botanic Gardens, she did a boat ride on the Singapore river, went to Chinatown. The Safari Night sounds cool too! Also, Sentosa Island.

Did you look at my hiking shoes thread? I put a note for you there.
4.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Amanda!
Darn, I was thinking of a gtg next week.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 2:39:34 PM
My friend just went and she did a lot out there. She went to Orchard Road, the Botanic Gardens, she did a boat ride on the Singapore river, went to Chinatown. The Safari Night sounds cool too! Also, Sentosa Island.
The Safari Night is cool. Maybe we can arrange to be there at the same time at some point and I can show you around.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 2:49:32 PM

Date: 6/25/2007 2:39:34 PM
The Safari Night is cool. Maybe we can arrange to be there at the same time at some point and I can show you around.

I would absolutley love that!!! Hmmmm, (wheels turning in my head) I think I will tell hubby about your idea. We want to go so bad! We almost went last year but then I saw it was a 24 hr flight and I was kind of nervous too. If I knew someone there that would make it lots better. You better like to do lots of walking Harriet.
2.gif
just teasing. . . sort of

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 2:47:30 PM
Congrats, Amanda!
Darn, I was thinking of a gtg next week.
Thanks!

I''ll be back in the big, bad city in the middle of July. Maybe then!?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to walk, just not hike. Be forewarned that Singapore is as hot and muggy as they come.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results