shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to 2, still can't decide. My brain hurts

daskeg

Rough_Rock
Haha, not really after any massive suggestions here, just a bit of a vent but happy to here some opinions.

Down to two differnet setting choices to put a 0.75 round brilliant diamond in (which I already have). My jeweler can make anything I want, I just need to give him some pictures and tell him what I want and he will do the rest.

Basically i'm stuck exactly half way between something like the Brian Gavin Tapered Tiffany style ring (this one i would alter the prongs slightly).

Or something along the lines of a ring posted by another forum member "minmin001" (I hope you don't mind me linking to your image).

Brian Gavin setting

minmin001's ring

briangavin_tapereredrose1_110711.jpg

e-ring_0.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would chose the classic solitaire. It will go with many different bands etc. and is classic for a reason :))

daskeg

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo|1340800482|3224323 said:
I would chose the classic solitaire. It will go with many different bands etc. and is classic for a reason :))

Cheers! 2 votes for the classic solitaire so far.

I also like the classic setting for the same reasons. Intitially I never looked at them but when I started to think ahead about putting a wedding band next to it, it became more appealing.

The 2nd ring though has that “it’s different” appeal to it but would be limited to the style of wedding band to go with it.

But then the 1st ring would really make my centre stone pop that little bit more.

FYI – the ring size would be probably 4 ½ although when I get it made I am going to go with 4 ¾ just to make sure it fits. Unless somehow I can get an exact measurement off her between now and then.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a plain shank for a reason. Much more versatile. I can match my rings to so many different bands and they all look great and I can change them up to suit my mood.

Classic solitaire. Although I personally perfer 4 prong looks on stones 1.5 carats and under.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto option one - the plain shank. :love:

daskeg

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1340838685|3224740 said:
I have a plain shank for a reason. Much more versatile. I can match my rings to so many different bands and they all look great and I can change them up to suit my mood.

Classic solitaire. Although I personally perfer 4 prong looks on stones 1.5 carats and under.

Don't you find with 4 prongs it makes the stone appear square-ish though? That's why I am going for 6 prongs. That and I don't want my SO losing the diamond out of the setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
daskeg|1340841250|3224767 said:
Gypsy|1340838685|3224740 said:

Don't you find with 4 prongs it makes the stone appear square-ish though? That's why I am going for 6 prongs. That and I don't want my SO losing the diamond out of the setting.

4 vs. 6 is very much personal preference. I do find that 4 prongs often make sub-1ct stones look more square but my DH doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about :halo:

4 well-made sturdy prongs will have no trouble securing the stone, so that's not a worry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the prongs are too large, yes I think that they can make the stone look square-ish but that really depends on the prongs and the setting. I know that in person, to me, it's much less apparent than in big pics.

I think 6 prongs is too much on stones under a carat as they can really look swallowed up by the prongs.

daskeg

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1340846254|3224840 said:
I think 6 prongs is too much on stones under a carat as they can really look swallowed up by the prongs.

I know what you mean. I guess there's pro's and cons for both.

I've seen prongs on 0.50ct rings that were hardly noticeable and seen prongs that looked huge on 1ct rings.

But yes, definitely a personal preference and I think for the size diamond i have, 4 prongs will give the RB that squarer look.

Purely out of interest - Do 5 prong rings exist?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure someone somewhere has one. You can do five prongs but it might be pricier than 6 or 4.

Also something to consider. If she wants a flush fit wedding band then most 6 prongs settings don't allow for this. Many four prong settings do. It depends on the gallery design of the setting. So if you are having something made, make sure you know how she feels about a gap between her rings-- if she doesn't want one then you need to tell the jeweler to modify the design to allow for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results