shape
carat
color
clarity

Doggie snoring and fluffing ... what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, Border Collie snores
41.gif
... and I can't think of anything to help ... breathe right stips aren't gonna work!

And, then there is the lil' lover Beagle ... I swear he is doing this on purpose
11.gif
! He will litterally come to you ... fart
23.gif
32.gif
14.gif
, and then leave the room! As he gets older, it seems like it's getting worse!

Any suggestions?
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charcoal biscuits?
41.gif
Maybe have a word with your vet regarding the gas emissions
14.gif
, but many older dogs seem to have this problem. Look at his diet, sometimes too much meat can be a culprit in tinned foods so maybe a dietary change to lamb and rice or chicken and rice might help. I take it he is toileting normally and seems to be in good health? With the snoring again mention it to your vet, it could be just one of those things, weight or allergy related but a chat with the vet and a check up wouldn''t hurt. I have a cat that snores and she is just fine but she can make one heck of a racket!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 4:26:03 AM
Author: Lorelei
Charcoal biscuits?
41.gif
Maybe have a word with your vet regarding the gas emissions
14.gif
, but many older dogs seem to have this problem. Look at his diet, sometimes too much meat can be a culprit in tinned foods so maybe a dietary change to lamb and rice or chicken and rice might help. I take it he is toileting normally and seems to be in good health? With the snoring again mention it to your vet, it could be just one of those things, weight or allergy related but a chat with the vet and a check up wouldn''t hurt. I have a cat that snores and she is just fine but she can make one heck of a racket!
Good thing we aren''t in California ... Gas emission colalition would definately be beating at my door and suggesting some kind of alteration!!!
9.gif

Thanks Lorelei ... I just wanted to throw it out there, I didn''t think about the charcoal bisquits.

As far as the Border Collie, she has put on quite a bit of weight ... she''s been apparently eating lil'' Romeo''s food in the morning along with hers
11.gif
... Daughter finally saw her doing it, no wonder Boy dog was soooo hungry in the evenings! We will be feeding them seperately from now on. I am sure my dog food bill will come down too!
9.gif
Hey maybe less chunckiness around her neck area might help w/snoring? We will see.

Thanks, and have a great wednesday!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I was wondering if poochie is overweight, like with humans this can cause snoring! Maybe if she loses weight it might help. Try the plainer low calorie diet and up the exercise if you can - this will give poochie boy a chance to work off his noxious gases and odours and help poochie girl''s waistline and maybe the snoring! I was giggling about you saying he wallks up to you, emits an odour and walks off! I bet he does it on purpose!
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also i dont think kibble should be giving them gas, portia typically only gets gas if we give her something that deviates from her typical menu, aka dairy or eggs or something like that...also if we give her actual chicken etc. but for kibble she doesn''t get gas. and what is it with dog farts? they are the worst!!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a 4 year old Lhasa Apso. We notice when she is overly tired she snores. Like when we have alot of company and she is really tired from playing with them.

My husband also snores, so between the two of them, I sometimes have to wear ear plugs. HA!!!

Linda

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 1:18:31 PM
Author: Linda W
We have a 4 year old Lhasa Apso. We notice when she is overly tired she snores. Like when we have alot of company and she is really tired from playing with them.

My husband also snores, so between the two of them, I sometimes have to wear ear plugs. HA!!!

Linda
I have a Lhasa too and he just turned 5 but he still acts like he''s a puppy. He snores when he sleeps and my vet says it''s just from the poor little short face/nose structure they have. Nothing I can do to help with his snoring but to love him.

Also, funny thing about him and gas..he always gets gas late at night. When we take him out for his last walk of the day he inevitably phoots and really loudly, several times! It makes me laugh actually...but I notice it does get worse when he eats human food.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Princess V. That is probably why our Mazie snores too. She gets gas, always, when she is sleeping between my hubby and I. Then she raises her head and looks at both of us as if to say "who did that", LOL LOL LOL. She is sooooooooooo funny. We absolutely love and adore her.

We had 3 Lhasa''s before her, but they passed away from old age. They are wonderful dogs aren''t they?

Linda

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 5:00:56 PM
LOL Princess V. That is probably why our Mazie snores too. She gets gas, always, when she is sleeping between my hubby and I. Then she raises her head and looks at both of us as if to say 'who did that', LOL LOL LOL. She is sooooooooooo funny. We absolutely love and adore her.

We had 3 Lhasa's before her, but they passed away from old age. They are wonderful dogs aren't they?

Linda
LOL mine is a male and he sniffs his butt when he farts if they are especially bad! I adore Lhasas they have sooo much personality. It's really odd because from what I've discovered you either love Lhasas or hate them. When I first got my dog, people used to tell me horror stories about stubborn and aggressive Lhasas that had to be put to sleep or given away. Minko adores little children (which as I found out is very unusual of Lhasas) and is wary (according to the breed standard) of strangers, especially males. Here's him hiding and peeking out from under the couch his favorite hiding spot. Do you have any pictures to share?

ETA: Opps sorry that came out so huge!

040406_22401.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH How adorable is he. Don''t you love their underbite? LOL. I had tons of pictures of Mazie, but when my computer crashed last month, I lost everything. I will have to have my hubby take a new one of her and scan it to this forum. I hope I can do it. I may need some help.

That is true about Lhasa''s. Our other three, were so different than Mazie. They loved everyone. We had the female first, bought a male, mated them, then kept the little runt of the litter. They all grew up together, then grew old together and died a year apart. It broke our hearts. It took me 3 years to finally open my heart to get another one.

Mazie is so different. She woofs at everyone and everything. She woofs at birds out on the lawn, people walking their dogs, and she especially woofs at crows on our back fence. If I kiss her too much she growls at me LOL LOL. She is leary of strangers, until she gets to know them. Our other 3 loved everyone. Funny how different they are. Mazie is really protective of us too, but that is a known Lhasa trait. All in all, she is one loving dog, who makes us laugh every single day.
When my hubby''s alarm goes off in the morning, there is Mazie with her tennis ball, dropping it on his head ready to play. LOL. That is her favorite toy.

I can''t wait to show you pictures of her. Your little guy is simply adorable. The have the cutest faces don''t they?

Linda

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I suspect that feeding them seperately will solve both of your problems. A little less weight will help your snorer, and eating slower will help your farter.
9.gif
When my doggy monster bolts down his food, later that night he turns down right lethal! Your beagle is probably hungry and anxious about losing his food to the collie, so he''s bolting his portion down before she can get to it. I bet your stomach wouldn''t feel all that great in those conditions either!
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vet told me I could use beano on the food...6 drops or so, my dog is still a pup and she is over 40 pounds now...but she can clear a room!!!! I think eating fast does not help. Does anyone have a dog that gets hiccoughs a lot? Mine does, they do not seem to distress her so I am not worrying...but I was curious

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2006 1:09:05 AM
Author: IndieJones
I suspect that feeding them seperately will solve both of your problems. A little less weight will help your snorer, and eating slower will help your farter.
9.gif
And this is the crux of the matter!!
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2006 11:56:54 PM
OH How adorable is he. Don''t you love their underbite? LOL. I had tons of pictures of Mazie, but when my computer crashed last month, I lost everything. I will have to have my hubby take a new one of her and scan it to this forum. I hope I can do it. I may need some help.

That is true about Lhasa''s. Our other three, were so different than Mazie. They loved everyone. We had the female first, bought a male, mated them, then kept the little runt of the litter. They all grew up together, then grew old together and died a year apart. It broke our hearts. It took me 3 years to finally open my heart to get another one.

Mazie is so different. She woofs at everyone and everything. She woofs at birds out on the lawn, people walking their dogs, and she especially woofs at crows on our back fence. If I kiss her too much she growls at me LOL LOL. She is leary of strangers, until she gets to know them. Our other 3 loved everyone. Funny how different they are. Mazie is really protective of us too, but that is a known Lhasa trait. All in all, she is one loving dog, who makes us laugh every single day.
When my hubby''s alarm goes off in the morning, there is Mazie with her tennis ball, dropping it on his head ready to play. LOL. That is her favorite toy.

I can''t wait to show you pictures of her. Your little guy is simply adorable. The have the cutest faces don''t they?

Linda
I''m so glad I found another Lhasa lover! Hehe most people mistake mine for a Shi-tzu. Minko really does make me laugh everyday..I think I read in their breed standard that Lhasas are supposed to be ''clownish.'' He is so weird, he will bark at anything out of place. For example, one day we moved the kitchen trash can and he was not a happy camper until we moved it back. He saved us another day when my mom left the water boiling and it had all evaporated and the kitchen started to smoke...by the time we got downstairs the smoke alarm had gone off.

So sorry to hear about the other Lhasas you had...I hate to think about the inevitable future with mine as well! Yes...please post pictures I''ll help if I can!

Sorry for the thread hijack Ms. Darlin Joy!
1.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Bella snores like a man! I swear she snores louder than any human I''ve ever heard. And I can not figure out why. She''s not overweight, she doesn''t really exhaust herself much, and she has a nice long nose that should be wonderful for breathing. And never put that dog in a car with the windows rolled up, she will nearly suffocate you with the smells that come out of her behind! I know she''s doing it on purpose!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think all dogs snore. My brother has a Border Collie, and boy does she snore. whoowie.

PrincessV. I will send pictures of Mazie soon. I will start a new thread for them, just for you and me. I am not sure if others will want to see my doggie pictures. LOL.
30.gif
Linda

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 3:21:58 PM
I think all dogs snore. My brother has a Border Collie, and boy does she snore. whoowie.

PrincessV. I will send pictures of Mazie soon. I will start a new thread for them, just for you and me. I am not sure if others will want to see my doggie pictures. LOL.
30.gif
Linda
Please do! I can''t wait to see her hehe
31.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Oh, some Lhasa Apso owners! I''ve been planning on getting a small dog in June, specifically a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My parents have had one since I was a sophomore in high school and I absolutely adore her. But, last week, I found the most adorable rescue Lhasa who needs a home. What do you love about this breed, specifically? Do any of you have experience with both Lhasas and Cavaliers?

If I''m hijacking this too much, just tell me and I''ll start another thread.

Oh, and I grew up with a pug who snores and farts a lot. We''ve attributed the snoring to general breathing problems associated with such short snouts, so that shouldn''t be your problem. The weight sounds plausible though.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do we love about this breed??? We could go on forever.

My hubby and I have never owned anything else but Lhasa''s, so I am sure there are other loveable breeds out there. My mom owns a West Highland Terrior and adores him and he is a wonderful dog too.

Our Mazie is so much fun, is smart, loveable, protective and funny, funny, funny and oh, did I mention loveable??? LOL.

Linda I still have to have the hubby take a picture of her, but he got home too late from work tonight

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 12:27:30 AM
Author: Blenheim
Oh, some Lhasa Apso owners! I've been planning on getting a small dog in June, specifically a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My parents have had one since I was a sophomore in high school and I absolutely adore her. But, last week, I found the most adorable rescue Lhasa who needs a home. What do you love about this breed, specifically? Do any of you have experience with both Lhasas and Cavaliers?

If I'm hijacking this too much, just tell me and I'll start another thread.

Oh, and I grew up with a pug who snores and farts a lot. We've attributed the snoring to general breathing problems associated with such short snouts, so that shouldn't be your problem. The weight sounds plausible though.
Blenheim: I think Lhasas are so great! I would caution you against getting one however if you have any small children around (which I don't think you do from reading your other posts
33.gif
) Get a Lhasa book so you can read up on the breed. Poor Lhasas are often misunderstood and as a result many of them end up unwanted. They apparently don't do well with children, but funny thing is mine LOVES kids but is really wary of adults. The breed character is described as "Gay and assertive, but chary of strangers." Be prepared for a little dog with a HUGE bark. Lhasas don't bark at nothing either. They are protective little watch dogs. They are also described as 'clownish' which I whole heartedly agree. Minko my dog is always doing silly things to make us laugh. (I have a million stories) They are smart little dogs with tons of personality. (I've been around several other breeds from Lab to Golden Retriver and Toy Poodle but not Cavaliers)
Be prepared for a whole lot of loving. Although I am seperated by distance alot with Minko, he still regards me as his owner and his human alone, my mom gets so upset because when I'm around he completely forgets her.
3.gif
Oh yeah..my dog purrs too..just like a cat it's really funny!

ETA: Also one of my favorite things about this breed is that although they have long and fluffy hair, Lhasas don't shed.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so true what Princess V said. However, my other 3 Lhasa''s that passed away loved all kids and strangers LOL. They would have gone home wtih them. Now Mazie is a different story. She doesn''t like anyone, until she gets to know them. If a stranger should walk up to me, Geez, watch out, what a bark she has. LOL. She adores our grandkids though. When they were born and people came to see them, Mazie would bark her head off at them.

Hummmmmmm, maybe we should start our own Lhasa thread here, what do you think???

Linda

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, PrincessV and Linda!

PrincessV, no small children yet. I''m 22 years old, and it''s going to be at least a few more years. I''ve still been trying to find a dog that fairly child-friendly, because there''s a very good chance that I''d want to have children in, say, the next fifteen years.
1.gif

It sounds like I need to hit the library and read up on breeds. And actually, if I apply for the Lhaso, the application includes a lot of hypothetical situations about training and discipline. I''ve been around dogs all of my life, but they were technically my parents'' dogs and I wasn''t completely responsible for them, so I need to read up on training and discipline. (Since I want to be a very good puppy mommy, I need to learn more about them anyway.) I know what I''ll be doing this weekend.
34.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blenheim...I grew up with dogs, lots of types, most large breeds. I have three kids. Before I had my youngest, my older two BEGGED for a dog. My oldest has some allergies. I had not had a dog in many years and was so concerned, with three kids and just having finished decorating, that a dog would be tough to manage. Did lots of research, dh liked smaller dogs (not my first choice with three boys) and also looked in hypoallergenic dogs. Ended up being given a dog by a family member who is a vet/breeder...not the dog I thought I would get, but she is so sweet and good! The key to ANY breed is A: dogs are pack animals. You need to be pack leader. the dog will respect AND love you for it. B. SOCIALIZE the puppy. As soon as the pup can be out and about (shot issues) take it as many places as possible. Have it meet strangers, go in the car etc. Have people come to your house so the dog has a healthy sense of the territory...i.e. when someone is a threat or should be barked at and when someone is okay. I also think if you are ever going to kennel your dog, start young. Research and find a kennel that is like puppy camp. This way, your dog will be happy to go and not miserable when you send it. C. Dogs need routine, and you will benefit too! Anyway, just my .02, and we are all enjoying our dog. I think you need to put the time and effort in when they are young, so it all works out well!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are great!
emteeth.gif

I am relieved that I am not the only one that has a snorer ... and a fluffer!
31.gif

And yes, I do think that Romeo ... (Boy dog) is just acting like the my son & husband and just joining the crowd!
20.gif
Oh gee, lets see who can pass the most abnoxious juicy bubble ... Hey you know what''s grosser than gross? (Fluff) I know what''s grosser than gross (Burp, Fluff) ... then Beagle dog comes in ... Looks at everyone (Fluffs) and then turns around and walks out of the room and goes where there is actually fresh air and lays down on his back ... spread eagle ... just hoping someone will be running out of the gassious room and pet his belly!
27.gif
Yup ... I think it is all a premeditated plan!
31.gif
Me thinks'' he is definately doing this on purpose!!!
20.gif

I will also keep an eye out and see if he gets gassy when we feed him human food. I know ... its not great for him ... but my daughter and I both can not stand any kind of fat or grissel on our steaks, and so we give him very lienient samples! My son and husband are always complaining ... "Hey, why are you giving him all that meat!" "Excuse me ... uuhh, you call this little fleck of flesh attached to this hunk of fat, Meat?"

Anyway ... Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions. I will take action and see what happens!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of passing wind being called some things in my time - but fluffing is a new one on me and most dainty it is too!
41.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2006 1:09:45 AM
That is so true what Princess V said. However, my other 3 Lhasa''s that passed away loved all kids and strangers LOL. They would have gone home wtih them. Now Mazie is a different story. She doesn''t like anyone, until she gets to know them. If a stranger should walk up to me, Geez, watch out, what a bark she has. LOL. She adores our grandkids though. When they were born and people came to see them, Mazie would bark her head off at them.

Hummmmmmm, maybe we should start our own Lhasa thread here, what do you think???

Linda
Haha ok I''ll start one! Just for you and Blenheim and anyone else interested in Lhasas!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Fluffing is a dainty word too. When I was growing up my parents taught us to say "flooper" ha ha ha. Well my 4 year old grandson says "schlooper" ha ha ha. He and his brother still say fart though.

I like fluffing. Hummmmmmmmmm, my hubby would never say that. If HE does it in his easy chair,
14.gif
Mazie looks at him, jumps down and walks away, ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results