shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog good with small kids?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
We got my son a chocolate lab for his first christmas present, and she had something wrong with her and we had to take her back to the breeder.

We''ve never fully recovered from that, and had always said we''d get another dog... before our son was old enough to remember.

I want something that can live in my house... it''s too hot here for an outside dog.

Something smallish... even teacup... and long haired... I don''t want to have to clean up shedding dog hair!

We have two small children, so it will have to be a dog that likes kids.

In your experiences... what do you think would be good?

I LOVE the pure whilte maltese!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My parents have a maltese...they''re very sweet and loving dogs, but they''re also horribly overbred. Our dog had hip surgery (twice) before she was 5, is arthritic, her eyes are going bad, bladder issues, and she has heart problems. Part of that is that she''s old (11-12), but the other part is that the breed simply has health problems. She''s relatively good with all people, but as she got older, she did start getting pretty territorial and nippy. If you try to move her off "her" chair, she will growl and possibly bite. Also, small dogs don''t necessarily = good with children. Maltese are very much people-oriented dogs, though, and tend to be "closer" with one person in the family than others. My parents had the worst time getting her house trained, and she''s always had accidents frequently. While we all love her, I don''t think any of us would make the decision to get a Maltese again, to be perfectly honest.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Spaniels are great dogs to have with children, very gentle and loyal and great to train. I know you said you wanted a small dog but my sister has a dalmation who is fanastic with kids, she has trained him not to pick up squeaky toys and not to take food from chldren even if they offer it to him, he''s a really gentle giant but probably a bit big for what you need I guess.

Good luck in choosing, how lovely that your son and puppy can grow up together.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are brilliant with kids. The only problem with them in later life is that they tend to get heart problems frequently and so are put on medication a lot. If you get one it would be well worth getting pet insurance also.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
During my daughter's lifetime (almost 16 years) we have had a Golden Retriever, a Labrador Retriever; and a Cocker Spaniel. We just adopted the Cocker Spaniel last month when he was 9 months old. As we had been warned, he was "hyper". He is adorable, a foolish, ridiculous puppy that makes me laugh all the time and drives my husband into hysterics when we visit him in Virginia. (He is destructive, as puppies are, and we do not have his crate with us!)

I adore the larger breeds, but I was about to put in a good word for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels...which are supposed to be like small Golden Retrievers in temperament...when I saw that bee* had already done so. When my daughter was younger a friend of hers had one. I believe that they are gentle and far easier to live with than Cocker Spaniels. We had a Cocker Spaniel mix when I was growing up, so I was familiar with the breed, but they are not as mellow as Goldens or Labs! (Not that our Lab, Biscuit, was always mellow! He was mellow while not attacking people he thought wanted to do us harm...people on our front porch, for instance!)

Deborah
34.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I second the spaniels and golden retrievers recommendations. They tend to be happy, friendly dogs that will be good around children. I don''t recommend chihuahuas (they don''t do well with kids) or dachschunds (while sweeties, they can have health problems around their hips). I would stay away from really small dogs because it''s easier for them to get hurt (children sometimes don''t realize that playing can hurt a small dog) and/or sour temperaments. Something medium sized (like spaniels) or larger if you have the room would be best. I envy you! I want a dog so much!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered labradoodles or goldendoodles? They are supposed to be really sweet with less/no shedding!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most important thing with getting ANY dog is the individual dog's temperament. Really good conscientious breeders (i.e., not simply breeders that are selling through the paper and claim their dogs are AKC certified) will have bred good lines, with good temperaments.

Otherwise you really just have to get lucky. Some breeds are certainly better than others, but you can't make sweeping generalizations about a breed being "good with kids". It's in the dog's temperament and lots of training training training.

It's also important to consider what your lifestyle is like. For example, a labrador of any kind (or labradoodle/goldendoodle) are NOT good choices if your family is lazy and doesn't like to be outside. Similarly, if you want a running partner, a King Charles might not be the best choice ya know?

I say all this because I work with a rescue...and many many dogs get "returned" to breeders or put in rescue simply because the owners didn't take the time to choose wisely or train the dogs. Those are the keys to having a dog who is good with kids IMO.

About the non-shedding dogs: Also important to consider that although long haired dogs with hair don't really shed, they do need a lot of grooming upkeep so it's a tradeoff.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:05:29 AM
Author: neatfreak
The most important thing with getting ANY dog is the individual dog's temperament. Really good conscientious breeders (i.e., not simply breeders that are selling through the paper and claim their dogs are AKC certified) will have bred good lines, with good temperaments.

Otherwise you really just have to get lucky. Some breeds are certainly better than others, but you can't make sweeping generalizations about a breed being 'good with kids'. It's in the dog's temperament and lots of training training training.

It's also important to consider what your lifestyle is like. For example, a labrador of any kind (or labradoodle/goldendoodle) are NOT good choices if your family is lazy and doesn't like to be outside. Similarly, if you want a running partner, a King Charles might not be the best choice ya know?

I say all this because I work with a rescue...and many many dogs get 'returned' to breeders or put in rescue simply because the owners didn't take the time to choose wisely or train the dogs. Those are the keys to having a dog who is good with kids IMO.

About the non-shedding dogs: Also important to consider that although long haired dogs with hair don't really shed, they do need a lot of grooming upkeep so it's a tradeoff.
Agree with this completely. Small dogs seem to all be put into the same category, though some are lap dogs, some are hunting dogs, some are non-sporting dogs. Smaller breeds do tend to be more tempermental, though I know that some of that is due to the overbreeding. My advice is to always read the breed standards for the breeds you are considering and then visit (reputable) breeders to make sure that breed is for you. By using reputable breeders, you can weed out nearly all of the behavioral problems and at least some of the medical problems associated with puppy mills and back yard breeders.

The poodle mixes are a sore spot with me--if you honestly want a non-shedding dog, don't go with a poodle mix. First generation labradoodles or golden doodles could turn out a million different ways. They are a cross-breed, so you never know what physical characteristics or personality you might get.

ETA: Poodle mixes are prone to matting, so their fur is definitely NOT maintenance free. You have to find a great groomer and use him/her every 4 weeks.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:24:23 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Otherwise you really just have to get lucky. Some breeds are certainly better than others, but you can't make sweeping generalizations about a breed being 'good with kids'. It's in the dog's temperament and lots of training training training.

I say all this because I work with a rescue...and many many dogs get 'returned' to breeders or put in rescue simply because the owners didn't take the time to choose wisely or train the dogs. Those are the keys to having a dog who is good with kids IMO.

Agree with this completely. Small dogs seem to all be put into the same category, though some are lap dogs, some are hunting dogs, some are non-sporting dogs. Smaller breeds do tend to be more tempermental, though I know that some of that is due to the overbreeding. My advice is to always read the breed standards for the breeds you are considering and then visit (reputable) breeders to make sure that breed is for you. By using reputable breeders, you can weed out nearly all of the behavioral problems and at least some of the medical problems associated with puppy mills and back yard breeders.

The poodle mixes are a sore spot with me--if you honestly want a non-shedding dog, don't go with a poodle mix. First generation labradoodles or golden doodles could turn out a million different ways. They are a cross-breed, so you never know what physical characteristics or personality you might get.

Great post too NEL! I agree with the last part especially even considering that I OWN a labradoodle AND a goldendoodle! They were BOTH owner rehomes to my rescue for exactly that reason. They didn't "turn out" exactly as the backyard breeder (my labradoodle) and the pet store (my goldendoodle) had promised the people who bought them, so they were dumped instead.

I can assure you that mine are now fabulous dogs and I have no qualms about having kids here with them. But that is after literally MONTHS of training and working with them. When I got them they were a mess with kids even though the breeds are "good with kids". So I am a firm believer in good training and good breeding regardless of what "breed" you get...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

The most important thing with getting ANY dog is the individual dog''s temperament. Really good conscientious breeders (i.e., not simply breeders that are selling through the paper and claim their dogs are AKC certified) will have bred good lines, with good temperaments.

Otherwise you really just have to get lucky. Some breeds are certainly better than others, but you can''t make sweeping generalizations about a breed being ''good with kids''. It''s in the dog''s temperament and lots of training training training.

It''s also important to consider what your lifestyle is like. For example, a labrador of any kind (or labradoodle/goldendoodle) are NOT good choices if your family is lazy and doesn''t like to be outside. Similarly, if you want a running partner, a King Charles might not be the best choice ya know?

I say all this because I work with a rescue...and many many dogs get ''returned'' to breeders or put in rescue simply because the owners didn''t take the time to choose wisely or train the dogs. Those are the keys to having a dog who is good with kids IMO.

About the non-shedding dogs: Also important to consider that although long haired dogs with hair don''t really shed, they do need a lot of grooming upkeep so it''s a tradeoff.

The poodle mixes are a sore spot with me--if you honestly want a non-shedding dog, don''t go with a poodle mix. First generation labradoodles or golden doodles could turn out a million different ways. They are a cross-breed, so you never know what physical characteristics or personality you might get.
We are about to pick up a first generation labradoodle. Should I be worried?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:30:22 AM
Author: Maisie

It depends on what you want in a dog. If you understand that they aren't ALWAYS shed free, that they need a lot of exercise, and that they will not be perfect dogs from day 1 (i.e., they need lots of training like any puppy!), no you don't necessarily need to be worried. But at the same time, they often need a firm hand and a lot of exercise. They are not for a lazy family IMO...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
So, is your son young like 1 or 2? Chinese Crested-maybe powder puff, are great with kids as long as they know how to treat animals. Well, that applies to all animals & children no matter the age...

Only other small breed that I reallly like is Boston Terrier & they have short hair. They shed but not too bad. Boston''s are excellent family dogs I
emlove.gif
them.

I am dog sitting a Pug/Beagle mix "Puggle" & I have to say she is amazing with my 2 year old.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We want a dog who has energy. We are outside a lot, especially since my medication has eased my panic attacks. I have 5 children and we looked for a pet who would enjoy running about and playing. Also I looked around for a dog who would be a suitable friend for James with his autistic behaviours. The labradoodle seems to tick all boxes for us.

Puppy training doesn''t scare us. We are firm and loving and she will definitely know who is boss!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:42:19 AM
We want a dog who has energy. We are outside a lot, especially since my medication has eased my panic attacks. I have 5 children and we looked for a pet who would enjoy running about and playing. Also I looked around for a dog who would be a suitable friend for James with his autistic behaviours. The labradoodle seems to tick all boxes for us.

Puppy training doesn''t scare us. We are firm and loving and she will definitely know who is boss!

Then I am sure you will be fine Maisie! They really are fabulous dogs as long as you can put the training/exercise in with them. We wouldn''t trade ours for the world. I just get annoyed with "breeders" who promise these picture perfect, non-shedding, family dogs to people without mentioning their needs too.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I know you said nothing that sheds, but you might look into Norwegien elkhounds; they can be shaved regularly to avoid a lot of the problems. They are mellow, smart, lovely dogs. You will never see the headline "Elkhound attacks child", they are just too sweet and loyal for that. I have known a few and they are amazing with children. The one my dad had was quite old when I was little, but despite that, was always the most wonderful companion. She used to get down on her knees and crawl towards us so she didn''t scare us with her size. (they are about 45-65 pounds, but the puffy fur makes them seem bigger). I have known some others, all equally lovely.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:30:22 AM

The most important thing with getting ANY dog is the individual dog''s temperament. Really good conscientious breeders (i.e., not simply breeders that are selling through the paper and claim their dogs are AKC certified) will have bred good lines, with good temperaments.

Otherwise you really just have to get lucky. Some breeds are certainly better than others, but you can''t make sweeping generalizations about a breed being ''good with kids''. It''s in the dog''s temperament and lots of training training training.

It''s also important to consider what your lifestyle is like. For example, a labrador of any kind (or labradoodle/goldendoodle) are NOT good choices if your family is lazy and doesn''t like to be outside. Similarly, if you want a running partner, a King Charles might not be the best choice ya know?

I say all this because I work with a rescue...and many many dogs get ''returned'' to breeders or put in rescue simply because the owners didn''t take the time to choose wisely or train the dogs. Those are the keys to having a dog who is good with kids IMO.

About the non-shedding dogs: Also important to consider that although long haired dogs with hair don''t really shed, they do need a lot of grooming upkeep so it''s a tradeoff.

The poodle mixes are a sore spot with me--if you honestly want a non-shedding dog, don''t go with a poodle mix. First generation labradoodles or golden doodles could turn out a million different ways. They are a cross-breed, so you never know what physical characteristics or personality you might get.
No, not worried. With a mixed breed you never know which physical appearance or personality you will get, that''s all.

I friend who has an Australian Labradoodle, which is sort of its own breed of labradoodle--they have a breeding program that is constructed as though a labradoodle were a recognized breed, so they have a breed standard and work towards that and because there are multiple generations of labradoodles, they can breed for a specific type of coat. My friend and her husband are allergic, so a first-generation labradoodle wouldn''t work for them.

I was on a ferry with two goldendoodles this weekend--one had a fleece coat like a poodle and was very mellow (mellow for a doodle, at least, which is still hyper to my newfie-conditioned self) and the other had the coat of a golden with a poodle head and was hyperactive. They were both fantastic, though, and such sweethearts.

Can''t wait to see pics of your new pup!!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
HAVANESE! This dog would be prefect in a house with little children. They are the most friendlist dogs IMO. That is one of the main reasons DH and I considered this breed. They are about 10 lbs on average, they are a non-shedding breed as well. My DH and I did not want to be cleaning and vacuuming up hair all the time. I would check into them! We don''t have little kiddies yet, but we have 5 nieces and they adore him. This dog has never once shown his teeth, or growled at anyone, let alone little children who tend to manhandle him at times
23.gif
The downside, is that they are a bit pricier than the average kid-friendly dog, and you might have to do a little more research to try to locate a breeder, but so worth it
36.gif

Here is a pic of our baby Bailey. He is seriously the sweetest dog.

Baileyupclose.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
BTW, Neatfreak, I didn''t know you had a labradoodle and goldendoodle!! That''s fantastic--I''m always so proud of people who rescue and put the work into a lot of the rehabilitation they need. As a woman who has homed several newfs who became "too big and out of control" after a year, I completely understand.

LuckyTexan, I can''t wait to hear what you decide to get!! It took us FOREVER to decide on what kind of breed we wanted, and then the REAL work began, haha. Whatever you decide will be great!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, sorry that pic was a tad on the large side! Here he is in snow in his Santa outfit. He loves the snow!

SantaBailey.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

ETA: Poodle mixes are prone to matting, so their fur is definitely NOT maintenance free. You have to find a great groomer and use him/her every 4 weeks.

Ditto to all the above.

To me the best dog with kids is one that is properly trained and constantly supervised around children.

You can do dog personality quiz''s on the net that match you to breeds

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 10:51:28 AM
BTW, Neatfreak, I didn''t know you had a labradoodle and goldendoodle!! That''s fantastic--I''m always so proud of people who rescue and put the work into a lot of the rehabilitation they need. As a woman who has homed several newfs who became ''too big and out of control'' after a year, I completely understand.

Aww thanks NEL. I know not everyone loves the mixes, and I don''t know that I would ever purchase one per se (except an aussie labradoodle for the reasons you mentioned above) but these dogs need homes too and I would certainly rescue others in the future without hesitation! They are the sweetest dogs. I would not pretend even for a second that they are the CALMEST dogs ever, but they are a lot of fun and have a ton of personality. Mine are now wonderful with kids too even though one was rehomed for being "aggressive" (he was a 4 month old puppy nibbling/playing, what do you expect people?!?!) and one was sent to rescue because he was too "rough with the kids" (maybe they should have spent some time training him or taught the kids how to respect his boundaries!). Sorry...pet peeve=people who buy dogs that they are not prepared to train.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 11:16:58 AM

Date: 8/11/2008 10:51:28 AM
BTW, Neatfreak, I didn''t know you had a labradoodle and goldendoodle!! That''s fantastic--I''m always so proud of people who rescue and put the work into a lot of the rehabilitation they need. As a woman who has homed several newfs who became ''too big and out of control'' after a year, I completely understand.

Aww thanks NEL. I know not everyone loves the mixes, and I don''t know that I would ever purchase one per se (except an aussie labradoodle for the reasons you mentioned above) but these dogs need homes too and I would certainly rescue others in the future without hesitation! They are the sweetest dogs. I would not pretend even for a second that they are the CALMEST dogs ever, but they are a lot of fun and have a ton of personality. Mine are now wonderful with kids too even though one was rehomed for being ''aggressive'' (he was a 4 month old puppy nibbling/playing, what do you expect people?!?!) and one was sent to rescue because he was too ''rough with the kids'' (maybe they should have spent some time training him or taught the kids how to respect his boundaries!). Sorry...pet peeve=people who buy dogs that they are not prepared to train.
Aw, I didn''t mean to imply I didn''t like the dogs themselves. I think that doodles are great dogs, my pet peeve is with the "breeders" who promise something they cannot deliver (hypoallergenic dog) as well as with dog owners who don''t do any investigative research before buying and end up putting more money into the hands of back yard breeders. Having an energetic breed can be a really great thing for active families--there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! As you''ve said, it''s just making sure that you do everything you need to for the dog to ensure that everybody is happy that is important! Lord knows we all know some peole consider dogs as a house ornament :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEL Don''t worry, I understand what you mean! I have the same pet peeve about the bad breeders who promise the world regardless of the breed they are breeding! Every decade has the popular dog that this happens with...

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:41:59 AM
Author:LuckyTexan

We have two small children, so it will have to be a dog that likes kids.

In your experiences... what do you think would be good?

you should check out petfinder for rescue dogs in your area. a lot of the rescue dogs are fostered by people who assess their temperament and determine if the dog is good with other dogs, cats, and children.

rescuing an unwanted dog feels great and keeps money out of the pockets of backyard breeders.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yay for getting a new dog! I'm so jealous and would love to get a puppy right now.

I'm not sure how you feel about a shelter dog, but they can be a great option. You can meet the dog after its personality has developed and let it meet your kids. With any puppy, even one from an excellent breeder, the final personality is kind of up in the air. But by getting an older dog (maybe a year old) you'll know up front if its personality will mesh well with your family and your kids. But then you miss out on raising a puppy ... which some people will miss and others will be happy to pass over (they are a lot of work afterall).

When I do finally get a dog, I want a puppy from a good breeder so that I can go through the puppy period. So it's really a personal decision. I'm going to plug the Brittany breed because I think that Brittanys are excellent family dogs and great with people. They're not tiny, but at 35-40lbs are a very medium size. They're also very active (without really being hyperactive) and would love to spend all day playing in the backyard.

Good luck finding a dog! I hope to see adorable puppy pictures from you soon!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I would second checking out petfinder.com. When we were looking for a dog, we had no idea what kind of breed we wanted, but we had some size restrictions (small apartment), but didn''t want a small dog that wouldn''t enjoy wrestling around on the floor with us. But we also wanted an affectionate dog.

We ended up with a Beagle, something we never would have though of had we not met Brandy in person. I think because she''s a rescue, she has some tendencies that are nothing like their breed. Beagles are hunting dogs, but although Brandy loves to go outside for walks, she doesn''t really like to walk more than a few feet away from me or dh, and she is scared when a bunny or squirrel crosses her path. And I don''t think Beagles are really supposed to be that affectionate, but Brandy is happiest curled up next to one of us on the couch.

So while I''m sure most of the breeds suggested are well-worth looking into, I think it really depends on the individual dog, so by all means, spend as much time with them as possible before you commit!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
We also have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are little love sponges. The question a breeder might ask is whether your children will treat the puppy gently and with care. It's been my experience that Cavalier breeders are very careful to whom they will sell a puppy. If they are not, I would run in the other direction. Our boy, Charlie has added so much to our lives. Good luck finding your perfect match.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Charlie demonstrating an excellent sit-stay
2.gif

Archive 062.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results