shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your diamond loose it luster, after awhile???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ubahawtee

Rough_Rock
I just got engaged, and my ring is so sparkly.. But a friend of mine has had her ring for 2 years and i remember it being more sparkly, when i saw it recently it looked Dull. Do your diamond loose it''s luster after awhile?? Hope someone can tell me how to avoid that, because i love the way it looks right now and don''t want it to fade. UBAHAWTEE

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert, but I believe a diamond doesn''t loose it''s "luster" as much as the day-to-day wear of a diamond impacts the sparkle. Between the oils on your hands, dirt, dust, and normal wear-and-tear, the diamond will begin to loose sparkle. Cleaning it often helps keep the sparkle and the diamond free of such elements without build-up occurring.

Also, if the diamond is set in WG and it begins to turn, then this can effect the look of the diamond as well. Simple replating of the diamond can help this...

Hopefully more of the experts will chime in here to provide you with a more-complete answer, but these elements can effect the look of your diamond. I clean mine every 1-2 days!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the dad in that movie: My Big Fat Greek Wedding, was a closet Pricescoper.

Like Achi, my first thought was that that ring (as yours will) may need a cleaning. Windex and a soft toothbrush could do it, but other options for cleaning methods are discussed in many threads here.

Best,

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the replys above, but just wanted to clearify what AChiO wrote as to avoid some confusion (hope you dont mind ACO, i understood what you were saying
2.gif
). She wrote:

Also, if the diamond is set in WG and it begins to turn, then this can effect the look of the diamond as well. Simple replating of the diamond can help this...

I believe she is referring to the white gold band turning yellow and not the diamond. You can correct the yellowing of white gold by the replating mentioned above.

Keeping your diamond clean will keep it nice and sparkly! I clean mine at least once a week if not more.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Like everyone said, just clean the diamond. Was at the jewelery store today getting my fiance''s diamond earrings and pendant set. While the guy was setting it, he let me clean her e-ring by myself. It was pretty dull looking, but after cleaning it... HOLY COW did that thing gleam again. Now I remember why I lost all my senses and paid so much money for that thing. A good cleaning can do wonders.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It always amazes me how people can spend so much $$ on a bauble like a ring and then not clean it or take care of it!! It drives me nuts when my diamond doesn''t look it''s best, I feel like I am doing it a disservice or something!

I am a total nut about cleaning my friend''s and mom''s rings when they come over...sometimes it takes a good scrubbing and/or soaking to get all the junk out!

If you want to see a perfectly beautiful diamond turn into dull glass in a second, swipe a finger with lotion over the table...it turns from a sparkly pretty thing into one of the best eBay frozen spit items around!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 11:58:30 AM
Author: njc
I believe she is referring to the white gold band turning yellow and not the diamond. You can correct the yellowing of white gold by the replating mentioned above.

Keeping your diamond clean will keep it nice and sparkly! I clean mine at least once a week if not more.

njc...yes!! Thanks for the clarification!! I''m still waking up and mistyped...this is exactly what I meant. When the head begins to yellow (the prongs), it can effect the look of the diamond. Replating the PRONGS can help...

ubahawtee

Rough_Rock
Thanks every one for the replies, and as for the cleaning what do you use, and house hold remedies, i heard tooth paste, but i am very leary of this.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a cleaning formula from Whiteflash. you can find it here

I also have soaked my ring is a little dishwashing liquid mixed with water and then scrubbed with a baby toothbrush. works like a charm.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Toothpaste used to be recommended, but there are abrasives in it which can actually harm the diamond. Many people use 1/2 ammonia, and 1/2 water (to dilute it). Soak and then clean with a SOFT toothbrush.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with a steamer...if you search these boards, you''ll find a pluthora of options that PS''ers use on this board.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the process of deciding which ultrasonic cleaner/steamer to get myself. That''s the method I prefer. Steam just seems to make the diamond cleaner than anything else.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 2:20:20 PM
Author: codex57
I''m in the process of deciding which ultrasonic cleaner/steamer to get myself. That''s the method I prefer. Steam just seems to make the diamond cleaner than anything else.

I use the Jewelry Spa from Salton, which has the ultrasonic cleaner & the steamer combined into one unit...You can find it on esalton.com, but if you want to purchase it, I recommend QVC.com as you can get it for substantially lower cost.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
When I see people put on hand lotion with their diamonds on, I absolutely cringe!
A diamond isn''t going to lose the "sparkle" it inherently has, but if you want to be able to actually see it, you have to clean it. Also, it should be noted, that hand/body/dishwashing soaps and even products claiming to be diamond cleaners can leave horrible residue and build-up on your diamond. For me, the best I''ve tried (and I''ve tried tons of machines and solutions) is the Salton Jewelry Spa. I think its ionic (not ultrasonic) aka electro cleaner is great, as is the chemical you put in the tank. And then the steamer using distilled water really showcases the stone in all its glory.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1-the jewel jet steamer from Wink.

#2-some time i use a heated ultrasonic

#3-warm water with ammonia and a baby toothbrush.

ubahawtee

Rough_Rock
Thanks again.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2005 1:02:18 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna
Toothpaste used to be recommended, but there are abrasives in it which can actually harm the diamond. Many people use 1/2 ammonia, and 1/2 water (to dilute it). Soak and then clean with a SOFT toothbrush.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner with a steamer...if you search these boards, you''ll find a pluthora of options that PS''ers use on this board.
isn''t that too strong? not that it would hurt diamonds but the smell.
14.gif
i usually mix 10 to 1.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Windex!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 6:52:51 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
Another vote for Windex!
1.gif
Windex is the best. . .perfect for when you''re in a hurry!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 6:01:47 PM
Author: headlight
When I see people put on hand lotion with their diamonds on, I absolutely cringe!

A diamond isn''t going to lose the ''sparkle'' it inherently has, but if you want to be able to actually see it, you have to clean it. Also, it should be noted, that hand/body/dishwashing soaps and even products claiming to be diamond cleaners can leave horrible residue and build-up on your diamond. For me, the best I''ve tried (and I''ve tried tons of machines and solutions) is the Salton Jewelry Spa. I think its ionic (not ultrasonic) aka electro cleaner is great, as is the chemical you put in the tank. And then the steamer using distilled water really showcases the stone in all its glory.

headlight...this is the same one I have...what is the difference between ultrasonic and ionic? If I used the wrong term, I''m sorry, but I''m confused on the terminology
33.gif

I agree that it works wonderfully!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 7:11:50 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 5/31/2005 6:01:47 PM
Author: headlight

A diamond isn''t going to lose the ''sparkle'' it inherently has, but if you want to be able to actually see it, you have to clean it. Also, it should be noted, that hand/body/dishwashing soaps and even products claiming to be diamond cleaners can leave horrible residue and build-up on your diamond. For me, the best I''ve tried (and I''ve tried tons of machines and solutions) is the Salton Jewelry Spa. I think its ionic (not ultrasonic) aka electro cleaner is great, as is the chemical you put in the tank. And then the steamer using distilled water really showcases the stone in all its glory.

headlight...this is the same one I have...what is the difference between ultrasonic and ionic? If I used the wrong term, I''m sorry, but I''m confused on the terminology
33.gif

I agree that it works wonderfully!
I really have no science background whatsoever, but my understanding is that ultrasonic cleans by the use of tons of "waves" that gently "shake" the dirt and grime off the stone; the ionic/electro cleaner is where the "forces that be" actually "pull away" the dirt. Or something like that!
Whoever can do a MUCH better job of explaining the difference, please chime in!

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
I''ve read that using two alka selter in a cup of water for five minutes can clean your ring also. I may try it one day.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
You need to keep the pavillion side clean to let the light in.

And I seriously doubt that there is anything in toothpaste which will hurt a diamond.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used Windex but I had to be careful to really rinse the ring before putting it on my finger or else the Windex would make my finger all dry and scaly..not appealing..the chemicals were just too strong unless I rinsed it very well.

Now I just use Sparkle Sparkle..which I am addicted to...
2.gif
..and yes, keeping the pavilion clean is a MUST for max ring shine.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Toothpaste won''t hurt a diamond but it isn''t great for the metal...In fact, my dentist just told me to bush once a day with toothpaste and the other with Listerine becasue the toothpaste is abrasive and I have high gum lines I need to watch...so, if it can hurt tooth enamal, it probably isn''t good for gold, etc.
2.gif

I have also heard to stay away from the toothpaste for jewelry elsewhere as a rule of thumb.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time, I like to use liquid soap (e.g. dishwashing liquid, clear shampoo, bath gel etc) and a toothbrush. Then rinse. The soap cuts the grease and all the particles stuck to the pavillion of your stone (just like jewelry cleaner with ammonia would) and makes your diamonds look like new. I just got back from the Caribbean where some jewelry salesperson thought my e-ring was new. Nope, I had to tell him it was almost 9 years old.

For the tougher jobs (e.g. diamond tennis bracelets) I use my ultrasonic cleaner.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 8:00:19 PM
Author: afrodyt2000
I''ve read that using two alka selter in a cup of water for five minutes can clean your ring also. I may try it one day.
I''m really liking the alka seltzer solution! No big machinery, much less scrubbing -- anyone know if there is anything to this theory?

Otherwise, I''m a ammonia/water soak/scrub with a hot water rinse and hair dryer blast kinda gal..... anytime I take them off -- into the bath they go...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results