shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ferris

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for an engagement ring and found a friend of a friend of a friend who says he is making me a deal on the following diamond:

Princess
H
VS2

$11,500

I don''t have any of the other specs yet, but I''m hoping somebody will know right off whether the price is in the ballpark.

Any info would be appreciated?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, if you use the ''pricescope your diamond'' feature at the top of the page, you will find that similar diamonds are priced between $8-10k
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I have a feeling the range of pricing will be more "spread" than 8 -10 K....

ALL the specs are important is assessing price and value.

It would be wise to learn as much as you can about the various info, and make sure you either get it from the seller or an independent who can verify the accuracy of the seller''s representations.

Rockdoc

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ferris- you got a wheel?

Seriously- friends, of friends of friends can oft time spell trouble.

In this case, the price quoted is on the ballpark- but there are so many "if''s"

"If" it''s a GIA report
"If" it''s a well cut stone
these two main ones are the most important to answer.

As far as a well cut GIA graded $8000 1.85 H/Vs2 Princess cut? Impossible in today''s market. I don''t believe you could buy it for $10K

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah.. if weight, color and clarity grades are all that matter, 8k should be more than enough. If you are ready to take the seller's word for those without a lab report, the price could get less still.

Without seeing a range of diamonds, well, it remains one tricky job to decide whom to trust and what "looks good". Unless the people who recommend the jeweler or the stone have relevant experience, their word is as good as yours - at most you can count on such testimony to determine that the seller is not likely to run with the money. Well, that a good start, I guess.

From the lab report it would be straightforward to guess how reliable the color & clarity grades are (after the reputation of the lab), the size (diameter, not weight) and some sketchy details about durability and finish - about half of what is needed to tell if there are vast numbers of better looking diamonds out there or just a few.

Imagine you would need to meet with someone in a train station and you would just tell them your height and weight expecting them to recognize you! Lab reports do not say more about how diamonds look. This is about the change, but not in time for your purchase though…

Just my 0.2, as usual

2.gif

Is it possible to show this diamond online ? What ‘specs’ are you expecting from the jeweler ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results