shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sapphire have a window?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
There is is! What do yOU think? Window?

saphwin.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 1:42:17 PM
Author:szh07
There is is! What do yOU think? Window?
It has a small window. Probably one that could "close up" in a setting. It''s kind of dark and extinct though, and it has a lot of grey.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It could be a large white inclusion right in the middle of the stone instead of a window. It could also be a bit of glue stuck on the back of the stone. I''ve seen images where the stone was held in place by something stuck to the pavilion, creating an instant light spot. That picture really makes it hard to tell anything about the stone. Gray...where? I''m not seeing that, it''s just too dark to see anything really. If that is a window it kind of implies that the stone has pretty good color and was cut poorly, (since the color through a window onto a white background is very close to the body color of the stone).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 2:22:48 PM
Author: Michael_E
It could be a large white inclusion right in the middle of the stone instead of a window. It could also be a bit of glue stuck on the back of the stone. I've seen images where the stone was held in place by something stuck to the pavilion, creating an instant light spot. That picture really makes it hard to tell anything about the stone. Gray...where? I'm not seeing that, it's just too dark to see anything really. If that is a window it kind of implies that the stone has pretty good color and was cut poorly, (since the color through a window onto a white background is very close to the body color of the stone).
It is very dark in tone, and very lacking in blue color, hence grey.

I think this stone has very poor color, if any.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than the centre being a window, is it possible that the rest of the gem has way too much extinction so causing the extreme difference in light/dark?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its a native cut stone, and I was more or less fine with the window and actually liked the color, but feel a little less confident about it after hearing everyone''s thoughts. I definitely appreciate the honesty though. It reminds me a lot of this ring from Singlestone.

saph2324.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This is another stone I''m considering. Its cut by an American cutter, and I really like it too. Its the gray color I was talking about earlier, fits really comfortably into my budget, and a nice calibrated size that I could find a setting for without worrying about having to customize it.

graywishsap1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 4:51:42 PM
Author: szh07
This is another stone I'm considering. Its cut by an American cutter, and I really like it too. Its the gray color I was talking about earlier, fits really comfortably into my budget, and a nice calibrated size that I could find a setting for without worrying about having to customize it.
If you want a grey stone, better to go with one with a lighter tone and well cut so at least it has some sparkle factor. That one is much nicer than the first one you posted.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
that stone is very dark..

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with TL. The grey stone is better cut and will perform much better. I suspect that the sapphire you posted before will look almost black in most lights and won''t have any play of colour. The grey one you can see the facets already!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I like it, reminds me of a blue/grey diamond.
31.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 5:26:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Yes, I like it, reminds me of a blue/grey diamond.
31.gif

I agree!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2009 5:24:44 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Totally agree with TL. The grey stone is better cut and will perform much better. I suspect that the sapphire you posted before will look almost black in most lights and won''t have any play of colour. The grey one you can see the facets already!

Thanks LD! I definitely see what you mean by play of color; I think that the gray will throw off colored light much like a diamond would. I don''t think the blue would; if only that gray were in a cushion shape...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is just way too dark you aren''t going to see any colour to it; just a black ink blob. Even a darkish stone should have some liveliness to it to look attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results