shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this drive anyone else crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work at a fairly large law firm in the midwest. Someone accidentally sent something to EVERYONE in the firm. Hundreds if not thousands of people. So, instantly, I get about 15 emails from people who "dont understand why they''re getting the email." They reply to ALL, instead of just the sender. So this keeps going and going and going... why would you reply-all to an email like that?

I have seriously gotten within the past 20 minutes almost THIRTY emails saying "Why did I get this?"

Finally a partner from another office just sent out "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!"

Hopefully that helps. Sometimes I really resent the Reply-All Feature!!!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:02:52 PM
Author:elledizzy5
I work at a fairly large law firm in the midwest. Someone accidentally sent something to EVERYONE in the firm. Hundreds if not thousands of people. So, instantly, I get about 15 emails from people who ''dont understand why they''re getting the email.'' They reply to ALL, instead of just the sender. So this keeps going and going and going... why would you reply-all to an email like that?

I have seriously gotten within the past 20 minutes almost THIRTY emails saying ''Why did I get this?''

Finally a partner from another office just sent out ''STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!''

The only thing worse than this (and I used to get it a lot where I worked) was the inevitable follow up email about protocol and such when responding to emails, which would then be followed up by people REPLYING-ALL saying, "Gosh, I think this was targeted at me and I''m so sorry..."

Which would start another chain reaction.
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:06:27 PM
Author: jas

Date: 8/11/2008 1:02:52 PM
Author:elledizzy5
I work at a fairly large law firm in the midwest. Someone accidentally sent something to EVERYONE in the firm. Hundreds if not thousands of people. So, instantly, I get about 15 emails from people who ''dont understand why they''re getting the email.'' They reply to ALL, instead of just the sender. So this keeps going and going and going... why would you reply-all to an email like that?

I have seriously gotten within the past 20 minutes almost THIRTY emails saying ''Why did I get this?''

Finally a partner from another office just sent out ''STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!''

The only thing worse than this (and I used to get it a lot where I worked) was the inevitable follow up email about protocol and such when responding to emails, which would then be followed up by people REPLYING-ALL saying, ''Gosh, I think this was targeted at me and I''m so sorry...''

Which would start another chain reaction.
9.gif
Yes! Exactly! We''ve gotten that reply-all protocol email several times since I started here over a year ago following a rash of reply-all emails, but it just never sinks in for some reason.
20.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I have come to learn in my government, private, and corporate life that there are some email snobs. These are the people that want to make sure *everybody* knows that the person who originally sent the email screwed up. What they don’t know is that they end up looking like the fool.

We had two instances here similar to that story. The first was an email about getting off of a distribution list but it was accidentally sent to the whole company. There were so many snobs going back and forth and hitting the reply all that IT had to send a company wide email asking people to ignore the email and to not reply to everyone.

The other was just to the Finance Department but used a term incorrectly. So one of our notorious email snobs does the reply all with an explanation of why the word was used incorrectly. That person was mortified but to me the one that should have been was the person the snob.

Oh well. At least it makes the time between 8 and 5:30 interesting.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Ha! I think working at a school, we probably don''t take emails as seriously, but this happens to us to, and I find it hilarious when someone hits reply all and we all end up hearing about how Mrs. Jones has a podiatrist appt. when the principal sends out an email reminding us that faculty meeting attendance is mandatory. While we all have a giggle about it in the staff room (and someone whose room is next to Mrs. Jones makes sure to tell them what they did), we tend to just ignore them erroneous email and then it just goes away.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:09:23 PM
Author: fieryred33143

I have come to learn in my government, private, and corporate life that there are some email snobs. These are the people that want to make sure *everybody* knows that the person who originally sent the email screwed up. What they don’t know is that they end up looking like the fool.

We had two instances here similar to that story. The first was an email about getting off of a distribution list but it was accidentally sent to the whole company. There were so many snobs going back and forth and hitting the reply all that IT had to send a company wide email asking people to ignore the email and to not reply to everyone.

The other was just to the Finance Department but used a term incorrectly. So one of our notorious email snobs does the reply all with an explanation of why the word was used incorrectly. That person was mortified but to me the one that should have been was the person the snob.

Oh well. At least it makes the time between 8 and 5:30 interesting.
Bravo! I was wondering how I could articulate this but you have done it wonderfully!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
E-mail snobs
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I will remember that one!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although maybe not snobby (funny, IMHO), along the same lines.

When I was a receptionist at an engineering firm, I was writing an email to the entire office (roughly 50 people), and typed so fast at the end I wrote "Thanks! Luarne" instead of Lauren.

I don''t think I ever heard the end of that. "Luarne" was dubbed my "evil twin"

I told everyone that I did it on purpose, because most of the time no one read my emails anyway, and I was just checking to see if they were paying attention...
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
At my school, we occasionally get people emailing the whole faculty/staff something like, "Don''t forget to attend [religious house of worship] this [religious holiday]!" and then fifteen people reply all which house of worship they go to and tell us to go there, no, no, I go to this one, go here, and then a few people of other religions (or not even) try to make jokes to point out, hey, you should not be using work email to tell people what to do in their personal time. And in my head I''m like, "JUST STOP SENDING ME THESE REPLY ALL EMAILS FULL STOP!" And I feel like I''m taking crazy pills because everyone else seems to think they''re normal.

It''s like when your grandma finally figures out how to email and sends you all those obviously bogus forwards about how if a cop tries to pull you over it''s probably a serial killer. Somehow it seems like since we are a school and not a corporation, people don''t get email etiquette. I find the whole, "Don''t forget to practice my religion this holiday season!" mass email to strangers at a public school to be highly offensive (and, dare I say, ineffectual), but I don''t actually reply. If I ever did, I''d just reply to the one particular poster and say, hey, next time could you leave me off the list? And P.S. Don''t forget to work out this weekend because you look like you could use it!
20.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
LOL!!!!!!!!! I've got a GREAT one!!!!

I work for an International Bank, and about once every quarter someone types in a group code that is incorrect and hilarity insues for the next hour or so.

HOWEVER... In March was the worst ever!! A colleague in a South America office accidently sent an email to the entire CDO group, which spans 5 countries and includes a good 7500-10,000 employees I would guess (Including our corproate managers in New York)!! By the end of the day there were almost 400 emails that read "Please remove me from this mailing list..." It was horrible. The email trail also included jokes of people making fun of the people that were responding, and probably 20 people asking everyone to stop replying, and that they WERE indeed supposed to be on that mailing list, it was just a mistake. The worst was the email that was sent from the national directors secretary from Wall Street. In reference to some of the emails that were in VERY bad taste, and she informed all those that had sent them or responded, would be hearing directly from corporate in the morning.

It was crazy. That's what you get when you make everyone use Lotus notes and then refuse to train them.
20.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Uggh! I hate that!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
This irks me too.

Also, the often occuring "sent to the wrong person" email, which can be really BAD. There was an article about this recently, and the author is a local Philly commentator. He has messed up numerous times as well mind you, but has gotten stuff he clearly should not. The funniest one was the guy who was emailing someone else in his office discussing what a jerk he thought this third person was, and that this third person was going to be fired. Guess who the first guy actually sent the email to? The jerky third guy, not the person he meant to!

People, if you are emailing sensitive stuff especially, check the address bar before you hit send and do not hit reply all without making sure it should go to ALL.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 4:13:11 PM
Author: phoenixgirl

It''s like when your grandma finally figures out how to email and sends you all those obviously bogus forwards about how if a cop tries to pull you over it''s probably a serial killer. Somehow it seems like since we are a school and not a corporation, people don''t get email etiquette. I find the whole, ''Don''t forget to practice my religion this holiday season!'' mass email to strangers at a public school to be highly offensive (and, dare I say, ineffectual), but I don''t actually reply. If I ever did, I''d just reply to the one particular poster and say, hey, next time could you leave me off the list? And P.S. Don''t forget to work out this weekend because you look like you could use it!
20.gif
haha..I gave my aunt my e-mail and then started receiving TONS of stupid chain e-mails about how Obama is a terrorist, how to not be a rape target, how to escape out of the trunk of a car if you are locked in, tons of missing children alerts etc.
SO I started looking them up on Snopes http://www.snopes.com/ and sending her a reply with the ''real story'' attached.
After about the 10th one I sent back to her she bitched at me. So I just set any e-mails from her to go to my trash.

I love snopes. I check everything on there.
9.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 6:46:46 PM
Author: wishful

Date: 8/11/2008 4:13:11 PM
Author: phoenixgirl

It''s like when your grandma finally figures out how to email and sends you all those obviously bogus forwards about how if a cop tries to pull you over it''s probably a serial killer. Somehow it seems like since we are a school and not a corporation, people don''t get email etiquette. I find the whole, ''Don''t forget to practice my religion this holiday season!'' mass email to strangers at a public school to be highly offensive (and, dare I say, ineffectual), but I don''t actually reply. If I ever did, I''d just reply to the one particular poster and say, hey, next time could you leave me off the list? And P.S. Don''t forget to work out this weekend because you look like you could use it!
20.gif
haha..I gave my aunt my e-mail and then started receiving TONS of stupid chain e-mails about how Obama is a terrorist, how to not be a rape target, how to escape out of the trunk of a car if you are locked in, tons of missing children alerts etc.
SO I started looking them up on Snopes http://www.snopes.com/ and sending her a reply with the ''real story'' attached.
After about the 10th one I sent back to her she bitched at me. So I just set any e-mails from her to go to my trash.

I love snopes. I check everything on there.
9.gif
Is it possible that your aunt is my mother-in-law?
1.gif

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
A good friend of mine sent an email out to everyone on his list about once a month to tell us all where he was and what he was doing... he was an electronics tech on a plane that uses some crazy machine to look for diamonds from the air...
Anyway... one day I get this email from one of the other people on the list... and it''s written to our mutual friend, and EVERYONE on his list, and it is VERY personal... and referencing some random women they were ''with'' last time they met up in Vegas
emdgust.gif

I actually replied to him, and said.... UM... DUDE... I don''t want to know what he does in his free time, and I doubt his MOTHER does either!!!

DON''T HIT REPLY ALL!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results