shape
carat
color
clarity

does this dress look OK?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK so random question for the LIW...I am going to my BF''s college reunions and may wear this dress one night. I usually don''t purchase things that I can''t wear a bra with since I am a 32E but this dress was 9.99 and has a built in shelf bra so I went ahead and bought it. Anyway...does it look OK without a bra or should I get a shrug/wrap/something and wear that so I can wear a bra? collage attached...

compressedslgdresscollage.jpg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is super cute. if you feel comfortable in it, go with it as-is!

gosh I miss having boobs.... I had them before I had babies ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a really beautiful dress, great color and cut for you, BUT. You need to wear a strapless bra. Don't cover up the lines and draping with a wrap. Just wear (or buy if you have to) a good nude colored strapless. You need some structure on top so that the lines of the dress aren't falling below where they should. It's not your body, you have a fab figure, it's the weight and drape of the dress pulling things down visually. Otherwise, I love it!
36.gif

ETA: I just realized you said you are a 32E and probably don't own a strapless. Listen, you only spent $9.99 on the dress (a steal, and a good one because it's so flattering otherwise), so tell BF that you absolutely need a good strapless bra. I've had one for 6 years (a Felina, they aren't uber expensive but not cheap either) that is my stand-by. it's a purchase you honestly will not regret. I don't care if you have to sell plasma for it. You will be so happy with the way things fit you that you will not miss the money. (Or your plasma.)
9.gif

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Please don''t take this as a creeper comment but for a 32E you''re itty bitty in the tummy. Holy crap! I totally agree with monarch64, a good strapless bra is the best best best thing one (with bigger tatas) can own. I have a few from VS and they''re pretty resonably priced. They''ll help you size and everything.

If you''re comfortable though you look fine! : ) I just can''t go without a bra all night, my back starts to hurt.

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I also agree that you should get a strapless bra. I''m large-chested too and I personally feel uncomfortable when I don''t wear a bra, since shelf bras don''t do a lot for large ta-tas.

But, if you are comfortable in it and won''t feel self-conscious, go for it!
1.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Say YES to the bra." pretty dress!

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks fine without a bra. I love that shape and color on you too. That being said, will you be dancing or anything? I would worry about that part so a strapless is probably a good call.

P.S. 32 E!? I have a little bit of a hard time finding 32Cs I can''t imagine how hard it is for you!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I like the dress but also feel you should probably find a bra that can be worn with it. I'm pretty ample in the chestical department myself (34FF) and I think you will be and feel really uncomfortable going braless for a length of time, not to mention you're just not doing you shape (like your teeny tiny waist) any favours by not pulling the girls up. I only go braless in very firm fitting dresses in a stiff non-strech fabric which provid enough support without the bra.

I've never found a comfortable (or even bearable) strapless bra in my size but you can get bras with removable straps which can be replaced with these clear plastic straps which will not be so obvious with that dress but still may not be very comfortable. Long term if you like the dress it may be worth investing a $10-15 or so in paying a seamstress to put wider straps on the dress so you can wear a bra under it. Perhaps she could take fabric from the hem if you'd be ok with it being a touch shorter if you cant find a matching fabric or as the dress was only $10 you could buy another one and use the fabric from that? I think that dress would look really fab on you with slightly thicker straps anyway, tiny thin straps can tend to look a bit off on big cheasted women, like a peice of thread holding a bowling ball.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
It looks OK, but a strapless bra would make it look great. See how it pulls at the top of your boobs and makes those wrinkles in the fabric? Take the dress with you to a lingerie store and find a bra that works well with that dress. You will not regret it. Even if you do not find the perfect strapless bra (one that stays UP on its own and shapes nicely without giving bulges), the shelf lining will help support the bra, and the dress will be much more well fitted, as your boobs will be in the right "spot" on the fabric and not pull it down.

SAPHIRINA

Rough_Rock
I like the color and it looks cute on you. I do agree with others about the bra, though
1.gif

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thanks for all your input...kinda scary to post pics on a forum lol...

I think I will take it to a seamstress that I know...she is really good and doesn''t charge a lot...I''ll see if I can get wider straps, that way I would wear the dress a lot more...also probably cheaper and more comfortable than a strapless. Thanks!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:58:23 AM
Author: slg47
thanks for all your input...kinda scary to post pics on a forum lol...

I think I will take it to a seamstress that I know...she is really good and doesn''t charge a lot...I''ll see if I can get wider straps, that way I would wear the dress a lot more...also probably cheaper and more comfortable than a strapless. Thanks!

Honestly? I wouldn''t waste the cost of a seamstress on a $10 dress (unless it is free!) I am a DD cup with a tiny frame so my chest is slightly out of proportion with the rest of me and I find strapless bras (good ones with underwire) to be quite comfortable. Why don''t you take the dress with you and go try some strapless bras on and see how the shape changes? Or you could get your seamstress friend to sew in some supportive cups that will help give you shape as well.

I love the colour of dress and I think it looks great on, with a little more help with the girls it will look fantabulous!!
1.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I agree that a bra is needed. You look great though. The dress was a steal too.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well the seamstress said it wouldn''t look good to make the straps wider because of the way the straps sort of like go around the armholes...

yes, ROSS dress for less is the best! It is ABS Essentials and had the original $89 price tag on it when I bought it!

maybe I will get some ribbon in that color that I can put around my bra straps or something...or just wear it...thanks for your input guys :)

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
I have one of those bras with the clear straps. I like it. You really can''t see the straps unless you look really close.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think it looks bad without a bra. Its a lovely dress!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it looks good, but a strapless bra would make it look great :) it''s a very cute dress

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
If you can find a good strapless bra, that would be my first option. I know the clear straps are supposed to be more inconspicuous, but they''re very shiny, and you can see ''em across the room!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My sister is also a 32E and built with a thin frame otherwise (i.e. thin waist and such). She has to buy bras in a specialty store....but they are always WELL worth the price. She paid over a $100 for her strapless, but it has lasted 4-5 years already and she loves it. And it gives her some eye-catching cleavage ;-)

A good bra really does enhance the fit of the dress. It is cute already...but I think it would look amazing with the right support for your boobs! And be a lot more comfortable than going without...I am a 34C and I find going without a bra for any length of time to be uncomfortable - even with those "shelf" bras. Especially if I were to be dancing!

And there are plenty of other fun dresses that you could wear with a great strapless.

P.S. A bra that lifts your boobs up and holds them properly will make you look a bit taller and make your tummy look even thinner than it already is - it really accentuates the curves in all the right places - really! Gosh, you would look like dynamite with a great bra in that dress!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 2:55:31 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

Honestly? I wouldn''t waste the cost of a seamstress on a $10 dress (unless it is free!) I am a DD cup with a tiny frame so my chest is slightly out of proportion with the rest of me and I find strapless bras (good ones with underwire) to be quite comfortable. Why don''t you take the dress with you and go try some strapless bras on and see how the shape changes? Or you could get your seamstress friend to sew in some supportive cups that will help give you shape as well.

I love the colour of dress and I think it looks great on, with a little more help with the girls it will look fantabulous!!
1.gif
I don''t think it matters what the dress cost, the small cost of alterations if worth it if it means you will wear it more or it will be more flattering on.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:09:05 PM
Author: slg47
well the seamstress said it wouldn''t look good to make the straps wider because of the way the straps sort of like go around the armholes...

yes, ROSS dress for less is the best! It is ABS Essentials and had the original $89 price tag on it when I bought it!

maybe I will get some ribbon in that color that I can put around my bra straps or something...or just wear it...thanks for your input guys :)
That''s a shame but it was worth a try. Any chance of finding a cheapy bra in a very similar colour so the straps are not so noticable?

Good luck.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thanks for your input guys! RaiKai I do buy bras at a specialty store that are $$$ but they work well...not sure my waist is thin but that is nice to hear
1.gif

anyway I went to Marshalls and got a cheap strapless bra that is a 36 but it stays in place because of the shelf bra and only set me back $8. I think it looks better with it on and I can always pin the side to the lining. Leaving tonight so I didn''t have time to go to the bra store but this should be a fine temporary fix and if I get more strappy clothes in the future (which I tend to avoid) I will invest in a good strapless.

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Oh! I totally didn''t think of this before. but you know the cutlet things? They sort of look like a piece of chicken breast? I think wal*mart has them for under ten dollars. They add a small amount of cup size to you, but with some wardrobe tape (or if you''re a poor college kid like me, I use double sided tape) those puppies get lifted up and at ''em. And it prevents it from being noticible if you get a bit chilly : P

I know if you''re a 32E size is the LAST thing you want to add, but I''m a 32D and sometimes you''ve gotta do what you''ve gotta do, to keep them perky. : P

P.S. I totally use like 3M double sided tape, all the time with dresses, I wasn''t joking.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
It looks lovely, but I agree--the girls need some support.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results