shape
carat
color
clarity

Does ring size reflect body type/size?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was reading on another forum that this guy didn't know his girlfriend's ring size, so he described her height, weight, and body shape to the jeweler and the jeweler was able to guess the right ring size. I was surprised because I didn't really think that stuff necessarily correlated with ring size though. So I'm curious for all you ladies who have such tiny fingers, are you tiny in height/frame too?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Leonardo di Caprio would say no ....

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know lots of tall thin ladies with very small fingers.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
AprilBaby said:
I know lots of tall thin ladies with very small fingers.

Probably have small fingers because they're thin. :)

I'm 5' and currently quite overweight. My rings are a comfy size 4 3/4. When I'm at my happy weight I'm a size 3 1/2. When I'm skinny I'm a size 3.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think so. My mom and sis are about same height with my mom weighing about 10lbs more than sis. Mom's fingers are 1.5-2 sizes smaller than sis's. I'm slightly taller and weigh slightly less than either with finger size somewhere in between theirs.

insured

Rough_Rock
Trekkie|1389292663|3589649 said:

I'm 5' and currently quite overweight. My rings are a comfy size 4 3/4. When I'm at my happy weight I'm a size 3 1/2. When I'm skinny I'm a size 3.

OTOH I'm 5'3" and quite thin, and am also 4 3/4, so I would say body type is not a great predictor. I do work out using my hands so maybe that beefs up my hands?? Who knows, lol!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring size doesn't reflect my body type and size, and it actually stays the same even when my weight fluctuates. I wear a size 5 ring, but I'm 5'10" and I now weigh 155. Pre-pregnancy I weighed between 160 and 170, and I went all the way up to 215 lbs by the end of my pregnancy, yet my rings fit me throughout.

I wear my grandmother's ring as a RHR, it fit her perfectly and it fits me perfectly. She was barely 5' tall and probably weighed about 80 lbs at her heaviest.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regardless of my weight, the smallest ring size I can wear is a 4.75 because my knuckles are bigger than my finger size. My actual ring finger is a lot smaller around...I'm not sure what ring size I'd be if I had that knuckle reduction surgery I've been hoping to get. Maybe a 3.5 ;))

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
My grandma and aunt were/are pretty overweight and both have tiny wrists, fingers (ring size 3) and feet - tiny!

My mom and I are short, skinny with narrow shoulders- I'm a size 0 in clothes and my ring size is 4.5. We do have huge feet though :bigsmile:

So no, I don't think there's any co-relation.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
insured|1389293231|3589654 said:

OTOH I'm 5'3" and quite thin, and am also 4 3/4, so I would say body type is not a great predictor. I do work out using my hands so maybe that beefs up my hands?? Who knows, lol!

And for a 3rd opinion, I'm also 5'3" and neither overweight nor thin, and am a 3.5-3.75. My mom is maybe 5'4" and is average size wears an 8.5.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1389293420|3589656 said:
My ring size doesn't reflect my body type and size, and it actually stays the same even when my weight fluctuates. I wear a size 5 ring, but I'm 5'10" and I now weigh 155. Pre-pregnancy I weighed between 160 and 170, and I went all the way up to 215 lbs by the end of my pregnancy, yet my rings fit me throughout.

Lucky you, Haven! We're nearly the same size (well I'm about 5'7" to 5'8"), weigh 150 thanks to some excess baby weight, and I'm a size 7.25 now. :rolleyes:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Petite w/ small feet, small hands but average size fingers (size 6)--go figure! ;( So jealous of you tiny fingered ladies!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. My mother is smaller than thinner than I am, yet her ring size is larger due to her knuckles. She is a tiny 5"3 and weighs under 110 lbs with a size 7 finger.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Also nope. 5'6", 112 lbs, small wrists, big hands/fingers. Ring finger 6, and right hand 6.5-7 depending on the style. My one sister is 5'7" around 150 lbs, and her rings are a full size smaller than mine. Other sister is app. the same size as I am, and her rings are two sizes + smaller than mine.

cheers--Sharon

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
insured|1389293231|3589654 said:

I'm 5' 3" too and of a healthy weight wearing about a US clothes size of 4-6 with size 7 fingers. My sister is 3 inches taller and we wear the same size clothing down to bras and shoes but her ring size is 2 sizes smaller. My mother is an inch shorter than me, size 16-18 in clothes, and her ring size is about a 6.5.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm 5'7 medium frame, athletic build, and wear a size 5-5.25 ring. My mom who is a lot tinier, about 5'2 and under 100lbs for most of her life wears a size 6 ring. Funny thing is, we look alike everywhere else except for our hands. I got long slim fingers from my dad, and mom has short stubby fingers.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always found this interesting... but I don't think the two are related.

I'm 5'6" and a quite curvy, "healthy" gal :bigsmile: , but my ring size is a 5 -- my younger sister is 5'4" and tiny (probably weighs about 120ish), and her finger size is 4.5... hers reflects her body type, but mine doesn't at all. I have a colleague who is about 5'7", skinny as all get out, but she wears a 7!! WHAAAT???!!! :lol:

Edit: Just remembered a girl I used to work with periodically who was very overweight but had the tiniest hands I've every seen on an adult with her frame/size -- she wore a 4.5!! :confused:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I'm a chubby 5'6" beast of a human and my brothers lady love is 5'10" and a rail. She wears easily a size 8 ring (she's not exactly sure because she's never been sized, we guessed based on playing try on our rings), and my ring size at the base is maybe a 5, my knuckles are 6.25 ish. We were discussing rings and she tried mine on, and it wouldn't go beyond her top knuckle. My sister's rings were sized up after she had my nephew because her knuckles grew (my mom had that issue as well) and hers was still a little too small for a try on, at about a 7 or so. My aunt, who is maybe 5ft all and probably a size 8 in clothes (ie not chubby, not a rail), wears a size 8 ring, and it went on ok.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure. I'm 5'6 , 120lbs and my ring size is 6. I think that might be on the larger size. I have big knuckles.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'd say that there are probably some general rules that apply to ring size/body type, but there are always exceptions to those rules. There are likely averages and jewelers could likely make fair guesses based on certain variables.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom and I are the same height and weight. Her ring fingers are 7.5 and 8. Mine are 4.5 and 4.75. My ring size was the same when I weighed 30 lbs less. Both of our ring sizes have been roughly the same all our lives - she's never had her rings resized. My paternal grandmother wore the same size rings as my mom (until her mid eighties) but is a much more, ahem, robust woman.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the answer is it depends. With some people it correlates and with others it does not. For me no correlation. I am around 105 or so and medium height (5'6") and my ring size is a 6. I have long fingers but big knuckles. And huge (size 9) feet! ;(

My mom and sister's ring size is smaller (around 4 I think?) and my mom is similar build as me and my sister is taller and a bit thinner.

Oh how I wish I had those delicate tiny fingers that some of our dear PSers have! All the more to make our diamonds look huge! :love:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't think so. I'm a size 4, 5'4'', ring size 5--my mom weighs less than I do and has a size 7 finger.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to say no..my son's girlfriend is about 5'9" and thin she wears a size 8 ring...I was quite surprised...my ring fit her! I am very short and quite overweight....when I was thin about 115 lbs I still wore a size 6.75 ring.....

Ximena

Rough_Rock
I don’t think so, I'm 5'9 and currently 123 lbs. My ring size is 6. My mother is 5'5 around 150 lbs and wears a size 7 always have.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I feel like that for most people I know, there is at least a loose correlation. Exceptions obviously exist, as people are quick to point out, but overall most of the women I know have a general body/bone structure that their finger size relates to. I don't know anyone who is big boned all over, and then has delicate, thin finger bones - just as I do not know anyone who is built with bird bones, except for those located in their hands.

It's not a matter of WEIGHT though. You can have two women who both weigh 120, but have drastically different compositions of bone vs muscle vs fat, and therefore different ring sizes. I think on the basis of bone structure, yes, your body type predicts your finger size to some extent. Interpreting someone's bone structure from their height/weight measurements seems a bit difficult to me though, and I don't know how a jeweller would predict a finger size like that.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am chunky/chubby, being 5'2"/157cm weighing about 161ib/73.2kg on a good day, and have small hands (Size 6/6.5 gloves) with chubby fingers. My middle right hand finger is currently size 10.5!

So yes, I believe body size and ring size are related.

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother in law is not thin in any way shape or form, but she has very svelte fingers.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1389322711|3589992 said:
I am chunky/chubby, being 5'2"/157cm weighing about 161ib/73.2kg on a good day, and have small hands (Size 6/6.5 gloves) with chubby fingers. My middle right hand finger is currently size 10.5!

I am shorter than you, and chunky/chubby and weigh about the same. And I have a size 4.75 ring finger, hopefully proving that finger size has NOTHING to do with body size or type. Back when I was in my 20s and weighed literally half of what I do now my ring finger was a size 4.

I will say as a generalisation, I have observed that Asian women generally have much smaller sized fingers (and many are petite all over) including the ones on this forum and before I get jumped on for being racist, I am half Asian.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1389333498|3590103 said:
dk168|1389322711|3589992 said:

I am shorter than you, and chunky/chubby and weigh about the same. And I have a size 4.75 ring finger, hopefully proving that finger size has NOTHING to do with body size or type. Back when I was in my 20s and weighed literally half of what I do now my ring finger was a size 4.

I will say as a generalisation that Asian women generally have much smaller sized fingers (and many are petite all over) including the ones on this forum and before I get jumped on for being racist, I am half Asian.

This backs up what I was trying to convey - your bone structure, which remains unchanged, does directly impact your finger size. Despite weighing twice what you used to, your ring size has only increased by 3/4 of a size, because your slender bones are still, well, slender. The sizing is only minimally impacted by the amount of weight you are carrying on a pre-set frame.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results