shape
carat
color
clarity

Does people staring at your bling make you uncomfortable? How do you handle it?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Being stared at can be so unsettling. My first thought is it's either aggression or romantic interest.

And of course staring at a woman's chest is a social taboo. However gorgeous she may have thought the pendant was, it's still weird to not comment on it but keep staring at it intently while talking to you.

But she could have poor social skills or have been off kilter from alcohol, meds, sleep deprivation, etc. I think you were right to get away from her, since she's just an acquaintance anyway and was behaving strangely.

As far as attention to my jewelry, I like it to be noticed in the same way as someone would compliment, say, my shoes or nail polish. But when their words (or looks) seem more like "Omg that looks expensive!" I don't like it. I'd usually rather wear jewelry that seems more vague as far as its value goes.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I attended my then-6th grade daughter's Open House wearing a well-fitting short sleeve wool sweater with a scoop neck (not immodest, but a bit lower than my usual neckline) and a strand of baroque dyed freshwater pearls. I'll never forget my chat with her English teacher. His eyes kept wandering downward. I wasn't sure whether he was checking out my bust or puzzling over my pearls, perhaps wondering whether they were Tahitians.
Only a fellow pearl lover would conclude that it was the pearls. :lol:

Being stared at can be so unsettling. My first thought is it's either aggression or romantic interest.

And of course staring at a woman's chest is a social taboo. However gorgeous she may have thought the pendant was, it's still weird to not comment on it but keep staring at it intently while talking to you.

But she could have poor social skills or have been off kilter from alcohol, meds, sleep deprivation, etc. I think you were right to get away from her, since she's just an acquaintance anyway and was behaving strangely.

As far as attention to my jewelry, I like it to be noticed in the same way as someone would compliment, say, my shoes or nail polish. But when their words (or looks) seem more like "Omg that looks expensive!" I don't like it. I'd usually rather wear jewelry that seems more vague as far as its value goes.

We think very similarly! I think my discomfort was compounded by the fact that my outfit showed a little décolletage, not like I was all out there but not like a turtleneck either. So I felt very exposed by her staring.

I hope it was just tiredness or something, like you said.

I attended my then-6th grade daughter's Open House wearing a well-fitting short sleeve wool sweater with a scoop neck (not immodest, but a bit lower than my usual neckline) and a strand of baroque dyed freshwater pearls. I'll never forget my chat with her English teacher. His eyes kept wandering downward. I wasn't sure whether he was checking out my bust or puzzling over my pearls, perhaps wondering whether they were Tahitians.
Only a fellow pearl lover would conclude that it was the pearls. :lol:

Oh that would make me so uncomfortable! I definitely would want to believe it was the pearls :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I see nice bling, I will comment rather than stare like a dope. People who stare are either socially inept or rude.
I always want to know about other people's jewelry anyway!
I usually just say "Oh, I love your ring/necklace/bracelet!"
And if I'm lucky, they will tell me all about it.
Or they will just say "Thank you!"

If I see nice bling, I will comment rather than stare like a dope. People who stare are either socially inept or rude.
I always want to know about other people's jewelry anyway!
I usually just say "Oh, I love your ring/necklace/bracelet!"
And if I'm lucky, they will tell me all about it.
Or they will just say "Thank you!"

Yeah I love checking out bling but I will always comment on it or just won’t give more than one or two quick glances if I feel like I can’t comment for whatever reason. I wouldn’t stare endlessly for sure!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see how her staring at you like that made you feel uncomfortable! Try your best not to let it bother you, she was probably just admiring your pendant but being rude and insensitive about it. I guess sparkly pretty things can have that effect on people LOL!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Jewelry aside, I've always been secretly overjoyed if I think anyone is checking me out haha. But staring is different, it seems more like an invasion or even a threat imo.

I can see how her staring at you like that made you feel uncomfortable! Try your best not to let it bother you, she was probably just admiring your pendant but being rude and insensitive about it. I guess sparkly pretty things can have that effect on people LOL!

I actually ended up meeting her again today, wearing an outfit showing some skin but no pendant, and her eyes remained firmly at my face; so pendant staring confirmed :razz: I should take it as a compliment I’m sure!

Jewelry aside, I've always been secretly overjoyed if I think anyone is checking me out haha. But staring is different, it seems more like an invasion or even a threat imo.

Fully agreed!

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
Sounds like what bothered you was it being the chest area? Suggest pulling the "catch her eyes directly and then raise your eye brows". Works most times as people realize they have been caught staring - to be fair I get the stares due to size of the girls not pendants. This convo just made me realize for the first time ever why I love big rings and feel naked without earrings but practically never wear pendants or necklaces. In fact when I wanted a diamond pendant I wanted a tiny one on a choker length chain, same with pearls, had them retie at 43cm :???:

I do get a ton of stares and comments on my rings, its just not typical in Scandinavia, but it doesnt bother me. The one thing that drives me nuts is when they rub their fingers over it

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't bother me if they stare at it, but they'll be in trouble if they try to touch it. Same thing with my handbags.

Sounds like what bothered you was it being the chest area? Suggest pulling the "catch her eyes directly and then raise your eye brows". Works most times as people realize they have been caught staring - to be fair I get the stares due to size of the girls not pendants. This convo just made me realize for the first time ever why I love big rings and feel naked without earrings but practically never wear pendants or necklaces. In fact when I wanted a diamond pendant I wanted a tiny one on a choker length chain, same with pearls, had them retie at 43cm :???:

I do get a ton of stares and comments on my rings, its just not typical in Scandinavia, but it doesnt bother me. The one thing that drives me nuts is when they rub their fingers over it

Oh I’m definitely going to try that next time - the catch eyesight and eyebrow thing! And I get you on the finger on the ring thing - that drives me bonkers as well!

It doesn't bother me if they stare at it, but they'll be in trouble if they try to touch it. Same thing with my handbags.

Definitely if someone tried to touch the jewelry on my neck! I’d flip out if they did!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like when people notice my Octavia is showing off.
It's not my fault; I'm not the show off, the diamond is. :mrgreen:
I guess we could blame Karl. ;))

Actually I see it as sharing/giving to others (who appreciate it) in an art and beauty sense.

While I always notice other's nice bling I don't stare.
Rarely will I comment since I'm a stranger to the woman, and because I'm a man.
A woman commenting to another woman on her diamond is very different from a man doing the same.
Men and women may be equal, but we're not the same.

Occasionally I'll sense the vibe from the woman that it's okay to notice and comment.
(... when appropriate, obviously not when she's alone at night walking to her car.)
When I do comment they have always appreciated it.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Actually I see it as sharing/giving to others (who appreciate it) in an art and beauty sense.

A woman commenting to another woman on her diamond is very different from a man doing the same.

Occasionally I'll sense the vibe from the woman that it's okay to notice and comment.
(... when appropriate, obviously not when she's alone at night walking to her car.)

Kenny, my fault for not realizing how sensitive you are. What is the matter with me?
And by all means blame Karl, who brought something into this world of ethereal beauty, never seen before, to make us lust after and empty our 401Ks.
He has broad shoulders.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey Kenny, how about a new photo of your magnificent Octavia (one of the most beautiful diamonds in Pricescope history )so we can stare for a while andnot make anyone uncomfortable! Been a long time since we have had a new pic!

I think comments and compliments are always appreciated Kenny! When appropriate of course :)

I do like how you say the Octavia is the show off, not you ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results