shape
carat
color
clarity

Does it matter where diamonds come from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MarciaB

Rough_Rock

I am looking at diamonds from 2 sources, one from South Africa, who says South Africa has the best diamonds in the world, the other diamonds are from Israel.

Does it matter at all where a diamond is from, As long as it has the cccc''s we''re looing for?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Diamonds mostly come from volcanic pipes located in a few countires of the world. A diamonds are the same. What one might wish to avoid are diamonds which are being traded to buy weapons or to launder money for armies and terrrorists. There are places in Africa where black markets and smuggling of these "blood" diamonds may be more commonplace. The "Kimberly Process" is an agreement that diamond traders have formulated to help prevent the practice of diamonds for weapons and genocide, so find dealer who abide by the Kimberly Process. Most do.

No diamonds come from Israel. Many are cut there, however.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

(posting in the same time....)

There is somethig starnge here. Diamonds do not come from Israel - there is no diamond mine there. And no, once taken off the ground the origin of diamonds cannot be traced back from just loking at the stones. Not that it hasn't been tried - actually tracing the origin of rough has been under scrutiny quite a bit for the "Kimberly process" - if you've heard.

Does your question refer to something else (certification, location of seller) ? Those questions have an answer too

34.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Diamonds, in the sense that most people think of them, are a manufactured product. The original stone was mined somewhere but it was then processed by a cutter and perhaps a lab in order to get the final product that you are buying. These things are often done in very different locations and your Israeli source is probably discussing either the cutting or lab services (or both). There are producers in Canada that pride themselves on having stones that have been mined, cut, graded and traded in Canada and there are customers who put value on this even though it’s impossible to identify these things by examining only the stone. I know of not other countries, including South Africa, that are making an attempt at this style of marketing but this may change at any time. “Crafted with Pride in South Africa” may have an appeal to certain customers and I see nothing wrong with this particular approach. The characteristics that make a stone 'best' are sometimes difficult to define and will not be the same for every customer.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

python55

Rough_Rock

hello denver,

i am under the impression that stones that are mined, cut, graded and traded in Canada come with govt cert and the maple leaf logo is inscribed in them.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Python,

The government of Northwest Territories issues the report you''re describing and it is available only to stones that are both mined and cut in Canada. They can, and often are, graded elsewhere. The mining companies are not required to buy this report and they are welcome to have their product cut elsewhere if they choose to do so. Similarly, Canadian manufacturers and Canadian labs are welcome to work on stones that were mined elsewhere if they wish.

It''s true that most people who are interested in Canadian origin will require the NWT certificate and stones that are accompanied by this certificate will usually command a premium price because of it. The fact that people seem to be willing to pay extra for Canadiosity and expect a discount for stones from elsewhere speaks well of Canadian marketing companies. I''m confident that the government of Botswana would be willing to issue such a report if they thought it would help.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

oshilig

Rough_Rock
YES IT DOES MATTER!

Someone above referred to blood diamonds, surely you don''t want to give that someone special you love a stone that was traded for AK-47s that killed people. Having lived on the border with Angola for 2 years during their civil war, I can tell you there are thousands of these types of diamonds floating about being sold by legitimate dealers. This war was financed by the sale of diamonds.

Check the source of your diamond. The Kimberly process isn''t fool proof, but it is the only internationally recognized way to make sure your diamond is clean. It''s sort of like not buying fair trade coffee, except instead of funding someone that is exploiting workers, you''re funding someone to wage war.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results