shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone watch "Say Yes to the Dress"?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a marathon on today on TLC and holy crapola, I can NOT believe people pay $12K (and I''ve seen more) for a dress that you wear once. I can''t help but think how much blingity bling I could have on my finger forever (not just ONE DAY) for that cost!

How much do you think your wedding dress budget will be? I was married once and spent $200 on a very beautiful Jim Hjelm bridesmaids dress that totally looked like a wedding dress. The next time I get married I don''t know what I''ll wear, but I know it won''t cost $12,000!!

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am actually seriously considering making my dress. I''m a pretty good seamstress and I think it would be so special to make something for myself. I am SO not a froufrou girl and I don''t really care for lace and pouf etc, so I''m thinking of taking some old white sheets and upcycling them!

But if I did purchase a gown, I can''t imagine spending more than $1000, and that''s at the very maximum.

ohsoauthentic

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 9:31:29 PM
Author: babycush
if I did purchase a gown, I can''t imagine spending more than $1000, and that''s at the very maximum.

Same here. All I can think of when I see those shows and all the money spent on dresses is... think of all the other stuff that money could''ve gone towards! A house, new car, kids, honeymoon, another aspect of the wedding, etc.

Mind you, I assume quite a few of the people spending all that money on a dress must be very, very well off or close to it lol.

That''s just my two cents, though.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

this was my dress the first time around. again, $200. looks like a wedding dress, dontchathink?

dress200.jpg

ohsoauthentic

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 9:43:54 PM
Author: HappyNewLife

this was my dress the first time around. again, $200. looks like a wedding dress, dontchathink?

6.gif
that was only $200?! that dress is gorgeous! and gives me hope for when I''m dress hunting, I''m far from rich haha.

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
I don''t imagine my dress costing more than $500 - 750. I mean, I''ll be wearing it for, what, 3 hours? However I will definitely want something that feels high quality!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I was watching this and I''m so shallow. I was like WTF an 11k dress! The ring didn''t even look like it cost that much. Ill be damned if I have a dress that cost more than my diamond! The dress lasts 4 hours, the diamonds FOREVER.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
It''s nosy, but I wonder how a lot of these people can afford all those super expensive dresses. I don''t think I could stomach paying more than $800 for a dress, but then I''m cheap.
3.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 10:53:30 PM
Author: Kitcha
It''s nosy, but I wonder how a lot of these people can afford all those super expensive dresses. I don''t think I could stomach paying more than $800 for a dress, but then I''m cheap.
3.gif
One word: credit.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
My dress budget is $3000. That is for both my dress and my bridesmaid dresses. I plan on purchasing or paying for at least 75% of their dresses because all but one of them aren''t local. If I can find a wedding dress for $1000, I will proudly wear it. If I find something and fall in love with it, I am willing to pay as much as $2000. I am a big time "dress" girl. I could live in them. I don''t mind spending a little extra cash on "the" dress but my goal isn''t to spend as much as I can afford without breaking the bank. The goal is to find "the" dress regardless of the price.

Daffodil

Rough_Rock
I am always astonished by how much they spend on dresses on that show. But, are they really just buying the dress? Maybe a bit of that $11K is going toward their 15 minutes of tv fame?

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I was also watching this tonight and I was astonished at the girl who bought that $11k dress. My dress budget will be a max of $1000. I definitely agree with you that I would much rather spend that money on a honking rock! Or even better, a down payment on a house!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
That show stresses me out. I love the dresses, but hate the part when the sales assistants start talking about making their quotas for the month. I mean, can''t they just show more $11K dresses instead?
1.gif

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Sigh - I know I may be in the minority here, but I''m obsessed with Kenneth Pool gowns and I''m hoping that I will be able to get one. I am absolutely going to try my hardest to find a dress under $2,500, but the materialistic (urgh, hate to admit it) part of me knows I''d still long for that sparkly dress.
15.gif
At the very least, I plan on going to a trunk show (to get the 10% off discount) or possibly purchasing one off of onewed.com (I think that''s the name of the site where brides sell their used dresses). I know you only wear the dress for one day, but you have the vision of yourself and the pictures forever right?? I have no doubt that every bride can look beautiful on their wedding day at ANY budget.. I just want my over the top sparkly gown..
7.gif

I''ve never been much of a jewelry girl.. well, not until recently.. so I think I would forgo the expensive wedding band for a simple eternity band AND my Kenneth Pool dress! Since, I''m not engaged yet, I haven''t had the opportunity to talk it over with my parents, but OMG I can''t help but want one SOOOOOOOOO bad.. Okay, I''m going to stop. I sound like a spoiled brat and I''m making myself sick..

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 10:22:35 PM
Author: Sizzle
I was watching this and I''m so shallow. I was like WTF an 11k dress! The ring didn''t even look like it cost that much. Ill be damned if I have a dress that cost more than my diamond! The dress lasts 4 hours, the diamonds FOREVER.

I know it sounds horrible - but I totally thought the same thing.
14.gif
14.gif

Man, I would never go on that show.. They make some of those girls look SOOO BAD! hehe.. but I guess that''s what makes good tv.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I havn''t watched the show, just clips off youtube because it dosn''t screen over here. I actually think spending even $1000 is pretty rediculous for a dress you will wear for a couple of hours, if I was going to spend that on a dress it would be because it made me look damn amazing and I could think of tons of occasions I could wear it and it would never go out of style.

My perfect wedding dress would be somthing very simple, probably cocktail length with structural details rather then frills and lace in a champagne or Ivory colour. What I''d spend would depend on how much post weding wear it would get. The alternitive is, in the likely event I find nothing suitable, that I find a pattern and have it made.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 2:13:47 AM
Author: PavePrincess
Sigh - I know I may be in the minority here, but I''m obsessed with Kenneth Pool gowns and I''m hoping that I will be able to get one. I am absolutely going to try my hardest to find a dress under $2,500, but the materialistic (urgh, hate to admit it) part of me knows I''d still long for that sparkly dress.
15.gif
At the very least, I plan on going to a trunk show (to get the 10% off discount) or possibly purchasing one off of onewed.com (I think that''s the name of the site where brides sell their used dresses). I know you only wear the dress for one day, but you have the vision of yourself and the pictures forever right?? I have no doubt that every bride can look beautiful on their wedding day at ANY budget.. I just want my over the top sparkly gown..
7.gif

I''ve never been much of a jewelry girl.. well, not until recently.. so I think I would forgo the expensive wedding band for a simple eternity band AND my Kenneth Pool dress! Since, I''m not engaged yet, I haven''t had the opportunity to talk it over with my parents, but OMG I can''t help but want one SOOOOOOOOO bad.. Okay, I''m going to stop. I sound like a spoiled brat and I''m making myself sick..
You might want to check with BridePower dot com and BrideCouture dot com. One of my friends was able to get a great deal on a Reem Acra through Bride Power. It seems to work best if you know the exact model you want.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Did you guys see the episode where the 23 yr old girl''s daddy bought her a $25k (or whatever it was) custom made dress, and she didn''t like it... and ended up buying a $28,000 dress?

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
This thread cracks me up. I hope somewhere there''s a wedding dress forum where people are saying how ridiculous it is to spend thousands of dollars on a tiny piece of carbon!

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/24/2010 8:34:44 AM
Author: karpouzi
This thread cracks me up. I hope somewhere there''s a wedding dress forum where people are saying how ridiculous it is to spend thousands of dollars on a tiny piece of carbon!

Our evil twins
11.gif
11.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 8:46:34 AM
Author: babycush
Date: 4/24/2010 8:34:44 AM

Author: karpouzi

Our evil twins
11.gif
11.gif

Tehehe! That gave me a nice chuckle for the morning.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve had some PSers on that show before and I believe TLC pays for 50% of the dress if you agree to be on an episode. That would almost be worth it to me! You could essentially take whatever your dress budget is and double it!

For some reason, I have a much easier time watching an established couple purchasing at 10K+ dress than some 21 year old with daddy''s credit card. I''m sure a lot of the couple''s are putting it on credit, but my guess is that for a lot of them, this is just a drop in the bucket. I''m sure the men these women are marrying won''t be wearing a rented tux either but a custom-made designer suit. It''s all relative.

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
Love that show! Actually watching it right now haha. Some of those dresses are SO ridiculously expensive! But the other thing I don''t understand is how all those dads who come in with their daughters fall in love with the see through Pinina dresses?! My dad will tell me to cover myself and get back in that dressing room!! So much money for so little fabric!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have watched a bit of it here and there..but I find the show to be not my style really - I find most wedding industry things aren''t though. I have never bought a bridal magazine even! Often if I did watch I saw girls go more for *expensive* over flattering! Not all...but many did. I would be like "no...not that one...the other one!!" Or they would go THOUSANDS over budget...huh?

My dress was $500 Canadian. I loved it. I tried on more expensive ones but they did not fit my style or comfort level. Good thing too as DH and I paid for the wedding ourselves so I am glad I found something reasonable. we don''t have any wedding debt and I don''t feel bad that it now just hangs in a closet!

There are so many beautiful dresses for a far more affordable price!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
omg.. $12k for a dress. I agree that I rather have a nice ring instead. I don''t know if I even want to buy a dress when I get married... maybe.. rent?

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 4:07:10 AM
Author: ForteKitty
Did you guys see the episode where the 23 yr old girl's daddy bought her a $25k (or whatever it was) custom made dress, and she didn't like it... and ended up buying a $28,000 dress?
omg... for some ppl, $28k can be for the whole wedding.. she's spoiled

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one who would totally spend that much money on a dress if I could afford it? I mean, if your parents are wealthy and paying for your wedding, and they want to take you to Keinfeld''s, why not? Or if you''ve saved for years and years (or months and months, in some cases) because you really want a designer dress with all the bells and whistles, why shouldn''t you?

I''ll be totally honest and say if I had the kind of wedding budget that would allow for an $11k dress, I''d get one in a heartbeat.

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/24/2010 3:59:58 PM
Author: princesss
Am I the only one who would totally spend that much money on a dress if I could afford it? I mean, if your parents are wealthy and paying for your wedding, and they want to take you to Keinfeld''s, why not? Or if you''ve saved for years and years (or months and months, in some cases) because you really want a designer dress with all the bells and whistles, why shouldn''t you?

I''ll be totally honest and say if I had the kind of wedding budget that would allow for an $11k dress, I''d get one in a heartbeat.

I''m very frugal, so I think that even if I had a lot more money than I do, I would still be thrifty about my wedding. I would be just as happy making an intimate, personal, family affair as I would be with a lavish blowout.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
my wedding attire budget is $5k, that''s dress, shoes, jewellery everything, and that''s more than enough.

i''ll be spending the same amount getting an engagement present for my FF (after he proposes that is!)

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 3:59:58 PM
Author: princesss

I think it is cool if it really works in your budget as a couple and for you personally...it still would not fit for me even if I could afford it (technically *we* could have spent more but I would not and did not).

Our entire wedding cost under $10,000...the cost of many of those dresses... and it was *exactly* right for us. It was personal, unique, intimate and very *us*. There is nothing we would have changed about it even if we suddenly had tens of thousands more to spare (and I would not want someone else to have paid for our wedding either). It just would not fit for us as a couple. And I certainly would not spend that much on a dress to wear for a day! There are so many things I would rather put that money (like more vacations together!) and I think one can have a wonderful dress for a *lot* less. To me the designer name just is not worth my own money!

If someone else wants to do it and can afford it..cool. It is just not for me! Like I said I would just rather that money went elsewhere!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results