shape
carat
color
clarity

does anyone know if you can get canary square step diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I would like an eternity made to match my existing eternity band --which is roughly 3mm wide, 3 carats of white square step cuts, channel set in platinum. However I do not like princess cuts or round brilliants which is all i seem to be able to find. ive inquired with a couple of pricescope vendors but i havent heard back yet.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, did you contact David from DBL, he''s not a PS vendor, but posts here.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Schneider diamonds (they've recently started to post in-house stock here) lists allot of half-eternity bands with fancy yellow diamonds. I think the pictures are CAD drawings, not actual pictures but... some look as if the stones would be square baguettes in there. hard to tell.

CBG-5-EA-EN.jpg
CBG-7-EA-EN.jpg

I hope these are not just CAD miraje and the rows of tiny intense yellow square bags are actually there! (wishful thinking...)

If there are many sources of fancy yellow square baguettes, I surely don't know about them. Just barely saw a few in deco jewelry pieces and that is about it. Hopefully, if Schnerider's and DBL can put together a stash of eternity bands with rounds and princesses, they should know better.

Irradiated yellows come in this shape (those stones are already too colored, so there is less reason to worry about allowing the step cut wash off their color). But even then, I can't claim to have found sets of baguettes cuts.

This is about all I know. I am quite curious how this tunr out!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh and Ana
35.gif

WS- it's going to be extremely difficult to find what you're looking for- but it might be possible.
The reason that you're finding all the fancy colored "brilliant" faceted stones- such as princess or radiant, or round- is that you need extremely deep colored rough to broadcast a yellow hue without using facets to assist the cutter in reflecting the light around the diamond. It's actually like "slowing the light down" to magnify the color.

Even then, if the step cut is Fancy Intense- it might be Fancy Vivid with a little additional faceting which might cost an insignifigant percentage of weight.

Therefore- if you find natural yellows with enough color, and they are step cuts, they will be very rare and very dear ( that's expensive in London)

I remember one time a cutter buddy of mine showed me a large Emerald Cut- maybe 6 carats- and asked me what color I thought it was- I said Fancy light Yellow, and how much was it, I'll take it. It was absolutely drop dead gorgeous.
"Sorry", he told me- " I can re-cut to a 5carat Radiant and get Fancy Yellow"
Since Fancy yellow is about 35% more than Fancy Light, it's was a financial decision. That's why I could never be a cutter.

widget

Ideal_Rock
It sounds to me like irradiated diamonds might be the way to go...

widget

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
valeria:
i emailed scheiners and they said it was do-able. i am waiting on a price................................

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Dave, this makes me curious. I thought rounds cuts were suppsed to HIDE the color in near-colorless diamonds and emerald cuts were supposed to make near-colorless diamonds show MORE color than round cuts. Why is it the other way around with fancy yellows?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 12:11:13 AM
Author: glitterata
Dave, this makes me curious. I thought rounds cuts were suppsed to HIDE the color in near-colorless diamonds and emerald cuts were supposed to make near-colorless diamonds show MORE color than round cuts. Why is it the other way around with fancy yellows?
no matter what the body color of a stone is, the cut will have an impact on percieved color in some way. well cut rounds are good at masking body color by making them appear lighter/whiter face up than they really are. when you get into fancy colored diamonds, you don't want lighter/whiter color, you want more saturated/intense color. this is the reason you don't see a lot of fancy yellows cut as rounds. in just the same way that rounds mask color, there are other cuts that bring out color. one of the best at concentrating color is..you guessed it..the radiant! you could have two stones with the same face down (d-z stones are graded face down) body color, one of them being a radiant and the other a princess. when you look at them face up, the princess will look 'lighter' than the radiant. since fancy color stones are graded face up, the 'darker' looking radiant will get to be a fancy yellow and the princess will have to stay a 'z' at the end of the scale.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2005 12:11:13 AM
Author: glitterata

No... step cuts are not great color keepers. Rounds aren''t supposed to be either, but if David says so, why not
2.gif

There''s is thing about radiants...that they show more color. However, I don''t think it is the shape itself but some proportions that the radiant cut allows under better conditions than other cuts. So this is not bad for the near-colorless range.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
well i am sure they do or can get it but i dont want to pay that premium. i will inquire though.................

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
okay--so far a few folks have said its "possible"..................will keep you posted

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What David says is correct. You should change your taste.
But it interests me that he says radiants do not make lower off white colors appear more yellow.

But I guess a super salesman is allowed to have it both ways.

This from G&G Summer 2005 might help too:-

Face up yellow color specs2.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 10:30:20 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
But it interests me that he says radiants do not make lower off white colors appear more yellow.

why should i change my taste?????????????????????????/

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 10:59:42 PM
Author: windowshopper

why should i change my taste?????????????????????????/
OK, fair enough; you could pay for a vivid radiant and have it recut to a step cut worth 1/2 as much
7.gif

You "could" change your taste WS
35.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes well legitimate point. graff told me that it just means the material needs to be all the more intense/vivid....in order to hold the color................it seems its doable for a significant premium. I thought maybe i should consider 2 square step cut whites alternating with yellow AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I cant get the word out..............princesse cuts

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2005 11:19:41 PM
yes well legitimate point. graff told me that it just means the material needs to be all the more intense/vivid....in order to hold the color................it seems its doable for a significant premium. I thought maybe i should consider 2 square step cut whites alternating with yellow AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I cant get the word out..............princesse cuts
What a disgusting thing to say.
But the rules are different for color and for colorless sparkle.

It is the lack of sparkle that seems to help us percieve more depth of color.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2005 12:45:45 AM

Date: 11/18/2005 11:19:41 PM
What a disgusting thing to say.
But the rules are different for color and for colorless sparkle.

It is the lack of sparkle that seems to help us percieve more depth of color.
how about this: i dont like the super vivid (too gecky yellow). I like a nice medium clear lemon. wait a minute I am confused: if the lack of sparkle helps us perceive the color more deeply then why are they all radiants and princess--shouldnt those cuts GENERATE more sparkle???????????//

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock

Garry-per the two photos --I like the more sparkly and less yellow one...................i mean what about all those gigantous yellow asschers and whatnot that Graff has in their windows??????////////

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Super Salesman to the rescue!
Thank you Garry- that is a very nice compliment!

My prior post was a little misleading.
Even then, if the step cut is Fancy Intense- it might be Fancy Vivid with a little additional faceting which might cost an insignifigant percentage of weight.

What I meant was- by adding the faceting neccesary to create a brilliant faceted from a step cut ( for example, re-cutting an Emerald into a Radiant) may increase the color one grade- or more.
Of course Round Brilliant is absolutely the worst- as Belle said- the best are Oval, Cushion, Radiant, Pear.
Large facets on the bottom of the diamond is what you need for fancy colors. Can''t do that with round.

Garry- In my experience Radaints cut for color retention- Fancy Colored Radiants- have subtle differences which help them broadcast color- as compared to the best cut Colorless, or near colorless radiant cuts. Such as the size and placement of the largest facets below the girdle.
I''m not a cutter- and I can''t answer the "why" of this- but I have seen cutters submit a diamond to GIA and get a Fancy Intense.
They then go back to the wheel, adjust a few facets, and the diamond gets re-graded as Fancy Vivid ( one step darker)

As is being discussed elsewhere on PS- I don''t believe complete "repeatability" is possible when color grading diamonds.
Sometimes one D is whiter than another.

The setting also pays a huge role, if we''re looking at mounted diamonds
WS- this will also impact what you''re looking for. Make sure you get 18kt yellow. Don''t change your taste- you may have a harder ( or more expensive) time getting exactly what you want- but it will be very unique!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is going to sound harsh but...
instead of spending a fortune forcing diamond into doing something it isnt good at doing and spending a ton of money doing it.....

get colored gemstones and be done with it.
no muss no fuss and a lot of saved trouble and $$$$.

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I would say that to make this ring from canary diamonds (if you do not like princess cut diamonds) you would have to use radiant cuts.
Radiant cuts are modified brilliant cuts and not step cut on the bottom.
But even radiant cut diamonds may be hard to find it matching squares.
It can be done with radiants but it may take some time to put together the correct layout.
Hope this helps.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results