shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have this steel rice cooker?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Surely some PSer must own one!

Miracle Stainless Steel Rice Cooker ME-81 http://juicers4life.com/miracle-stainless-steel-rice-cooker/

I just ordered it and was wondering if anyone had tried it out? (Yes DF, I know you cook your rice in a pot on the stove ;)) )

I switched from teflon to a stainless steel ricecooker about 2 years ago, but my current Fancy-Schpancy buffalo smart cooker http://www.buffalocookware.com/en/2-pro-detail.php?s=1 takes about an hour and 15 min to cook the same amount of rice my old cheapie teflon could cook in 20min. (The rice is absolutely perfect, but I just don't have that kind of time)

I'm hoping the downgrade will result in faster rice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1344034916|3245602 said:

Miracle Stainless Steel Rice Cooker ME-81 http://juicers4life.com/miracle-stainless-steel-rice-cooker/

I just ordered it and was wondering if anyone had tried it out? (Yes DF, I know you cook your rice in a pot on the stove ;)) )
yep!, think we are the only Chinese people on earth whom does not own a rice cooker... :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
please post when you get and use it.....thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a "fast" mode on your Buffalo rice cooker? Or is it programmable so you can set it ahead of time?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1344036187|3245613 said:

yep!, think we are the only Chinese people on earth whom does not own a rice cooker... :bigsmile:

DF, then I am the only Korean who doesn't own one. I find it easier and tastier to just do it quickly on the stove.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1344058149|3245784 said:

DF, then I am the only Korean who doesn't own one. I find it easier and tastier to just do it quickly on the stove.

Count me in as another Asian who doesn't use a rice-cooker. I much much prefer my rice cooked in a pot on the stove.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well,then i guess us Asians need to teach Americans on how to cook rice in a pot... :lol:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Julie N - Sadly the Buffalo has it's own agenda and nothing but slow cooked rice is on the menu. I tried the time dely once and it didn't work :(( - It just never cooked the rice :?: faster rice would be amazing. The buffalo makes really nice barley and cute little cakes too.

Yes, I do frequently cook rice on the stove in a pot, but I don't like having to baby-sit it, and DH (who does half the cooking) is prone to burning rice on the stove. I'm a Lazy Canadian - what can I say? :D

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
did you use the rice cooker?
I'm Asian I can't cook rice on the stove to save my live (unless it's sticky rice) I use a fuzzy logic (zoroshi -SP)

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
You will like it, we got ours from Amazon for $60. It's rather large so it will take a bit more space.
We use it frequently to cook soups, bulgur, quinoa, brown rice, millet, polenta, steal cut oats, etc without watching. It doesn't have a non-stick coating :praise: so we spray the bowl with oil before using to avoid painful cleaning. The steaming basket takes larger pieces of salmon and lots veggies. When DH cooks large amounts of rice for entretaining, he places the empty basket between cover/rice to prevet spattering :???:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've got a large Cuckoo rice cooker that speaks to us, LOL! I love it b/c it's blinged out w/ rhinestones on the lid!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Peasypeas, it comes next thursday, so I have to wait ;(

Saoirse2 I'm glad to hear you like yours, and that the steamer basket is useful. :)) Sometimes I wonder if people actually use extras like that .

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
So I've had the rice cooker for about a month, using it bi-weekly, and it works well so far. It functions like any other simple rice cooker except that there is no non-stick coating to come off when I wash the rice in the bowl.

It takes about 17 minutes to cook 2 cups of rice, and then I usually let the rice steam for another 10 minutes. It cooks brown rice well too. The stainless steel bowl cleans quite easily - the rice doesn't really stick to the bottom unless you leave the cooker on the keep warm setting for a while. If there is some stuck rice at the end of the meal, a quick soak softens it easily. The stainless steel bowl has discolored slightly after multiple uses - it now has a rice pattern on the bottom (this is normal for my other stainless steel cookware and my other stainless steel ricecooker did this too).

The steamer basket that goes on top is actually quite handy - once the rice is washed, quickly throw some sliced veggies into the basket and 2/3 of dinner is taken care of. Sometimes if i'm using really wet vegetables the rice can become moister than usual. It can be remedied by using slightly less water.

All in all I'm quite pleased with it. :))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you for posting your results with the new rice cooker! not currently in the market but may be soon and i like the ideal of a steel bowl.

expert

Rough_Rock
Oh my God! U still using cookers :D I threw it away REDMOND 4502 allowed me it. It is my multicooker, think about it - every evening new dinner and it is always hot in that hour. In one minute!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

May I join your club, as I don't have a rice cooker either!

There is one golden rule to cooking rice in a pot - do not walk away from a boiling pot until the lid is on and the heat turned off.

DK :))

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi dk168,

Are you willing to post your recipe for stove-top rice? I'd love to try it out.
My rice cooker is still going strong, but I love to try new things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to respect diversity.
It's fascinating how many different and passionate opinions there are regarding rice and its preparation.
My ex was from India and he said rice in India is a HUUUGE deal.
It is even tied up in their ancient caste system.
I think many people in the world feel THEIR way is the ONLY way when it comes to rice.
Here is my rice world ...

Many people love having a tool/gadget for everything.
I'm usually the opposite.
We have a tiny kitchen (which I love - less walking) and I hate clutter.
I usually don't care that a tool may produce 'better' results or save time (except when I do like owning a grain mill for milling flour) ... my priority is for less clutter.
One fine chef knife and good board can replace many one-purpose gadgets.

Perfect rice is worth it? Meh!
My idea of perfect rice is rice from a less-cluttered kitchen. ;))
Again if you feel your rice has to be a specific way to be acceptable and a rice cooker gives you that, no problem.
If milling your own flour is not worth the trouble, no problem.

I probably eat short grain brown rice 5 days a week.
I just use the copper-bottom Revere-ware saucepan I bought in 1978. :o :shock: :o

1 part rice to 2 parts water, no salt.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, stir occasionally if I remember, no stirring if I forget; either way is fine.
Use a cover or don't use a cover; either way is fine.
I'm mystified by the 'rule' that you'll ruin the rice if you lift the cover.
How can this be? It's not a pressure cooker. :confused:

The only thing I'm particular about is not cooking the rice too long.
I stop when the water level reaches just below the surface of the rice, IOW the rice is still very wet.
It might be a tad wet for the first serving but I'll be eating from the same pot for a few days.
If I were to cook it down to where all the water is absorbed the rice might be more perfect for the first serving, but it will be hard and dry on day 2, 3 and 4.

YRMV. :angel:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Japanese make the best clay pots for cooking rice. Don't by buy a cheap clay pot, b/c they'll crack very easily.

http://toirokitchen.com/products/hakeme/

ETA..you can only use a clay pot on gas stove.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. I didn't know there were rice cookers with stainless steel insides. The ones I had always had aluminum and I got rid of them and went back to my old stovetop method with copper-clad stainless steel Revereware. I eat a lot of rice and my favorite is this Basmati.

basmati.png

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I do not eat much rice these days but it's a must [2x week] for DH. A good Chinese friend of his taught him the 'First Knuckle method' in college. I'll tell you, DH's rice is always perfect! [Cooker or stove top]. This only applies for Jasmine though. For Basmati, we both measure stock or water.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
No rice cooker here either, and I use a saucepan with lid (find it works better than deep pot). I use a combination of knuckle method and eyeballing/intuition.

I normally wash the rice first 2-3 times. Add the water to the rice until the water reaches my 3rd (had to do it to confirm!) knuckle when I lay my hand on top of it, or until it looks "right". Then bring to boil, stir, turn heat down to med. heat. keep stirring once in a while until the water has evaporated to the point where it's all foamy and the same level as the rice. Then turn off the heat, put the lid on, and move it to a unused burner to finish cooking/rest. I leave it for about 20 minutes before serving.

I find this method does not produce the hard bits at the bottom of the pot. Some people are big on those chewing "burnt" bits, but not me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1407688954|3729694 said:
Hi dk168,

Are you willing to post your recipe for stove-top rice? I'd love to try it out.
My rice cooker is still going strong, but I love to try new things.

Eh? It's just rice and water. :confused:

Whether using a rice cooker or a pan, I have been taught to cover the rice with sufficient water so that the top of the water reaches half way up the first section of my middle finger, a bit more if one prefers one's rice to be softer.

Boil until the water is almost completely evaporated. I gauge it by sound and sight - if I cannot see bubble forming on the surface and can hear crackling noises, then it is done. Lid on while the heat is still on until steam starts to come out, then heat off for 5min or so. Stir with a pair of chopsticks to minimise the rice from breaking. Lid back on for another 5min or so, job done.

My favourite pot rice is made with Chinese wind-dried meat such as sausage, liver sausage, belly pork and duck, and it makes a very hearty winter dish. Not something I would cook at home, as I do not eat enough to justify buying the wind-dried meats in bulk and my freezer is quite full already with homemade stews, curries and soups.

My favourite to cook at home involves dried scallop, chicken and dried Shiitake mushrooms.

Depending on their sizes, soak one or two dried scallop in hot water, and shed into fine threads when soft and cooled. Save the soaking liquid to add to the rice later.

Soak some Shiitake mushroom in hot water. Do not discard the tough stalks but to use them to add flavour to the rice later. When cool to touch, squeeze the mushrooms to remove excess moisture before slicing into strips, and keep the liquid to add to the rice later.

Dice some chicken (I prefer thighs, skin on), and marinade with a dash of light soya sauce, Chinese rice wine/dry sherry/vodka, oil, corn flour, chopped garlic and ginger, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a dash of chilli oil if desire.

Fry some chopped garlic and ginger in a pan, add the chicken and stir fry until browned. Add the sliced mushroom towards the end.

Lift the chicken pieces and mushroom slices from the pan and reserve.

De-glace the pan with water, add washed rice, shredded scallop, a dash of light soya sauce, stalks of Shiitake mushroom, and add sufficient water to the pan to boil the rice, including the soaking liquid for the mushrooms and scallops.

When the rice is nearly done, add the chicken and mushroom back into the pan, and mix using a pair of chopsticks.

Continue to cook the rice until done as described above.

While waiting for the rice to steam, finely chopped some spring onions, add to the pan when the rice is still piping hot, along with a dash of toasted sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds, adjust seasoning to taste, mix well with a pair of chopsticks. Job done.

I usually cook in bulk as it freezes well.

Hope it's ok.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmm.
dk, you're making me hungry.

What time's dinner? :lickout:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words, kenny.

My two other pot-rice dishes that I make is Biryani with lamb, using paste out of a jar (Patak's); and kedgeree with smoked haddock.

I'll post these recipes if peeps are interested.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="dk168|1407708989

My favourite pot rice is made with Chinese wind-dried meat such as sausage, liver sausage, belly pork and duck, and it makes a very hearty winter dish. Not something I would cook at home, as I do not eat enough to justify buying the wind-dried meats in bulk and my freezer is quite full already with homemade stews, curries and soups.

DK
I love it!,... :lickout: but afterward you'll get an instant heart attack!... :lol:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1344059916|3245789 said:
well,then i guess us Asians need to teach Americans on how to cook rice in a pot... :lol:

How do you do it? I learned mine from Southern Living, figuring they ought to know. So, here's how I cook white rice, and I have done this hundreds of times on both gas and electric:
Do not pre-rinse rice.
Put in the rice, however much you want.
Add 2.5 cups water to every cup of rice. (Maybe down to 2C / C if the rice is damp from humidity.)
Pick your highest-heat burner, and bring it to a full boil as fast as possible. (It's your option whether or not to have the lid on.)
Put the lid on, remove pot from heat, let it sit while rice absorbs the water.
Fluff with a fork and serve.

The more heat your burner can produce, the faster you'll get the water boiling. That's the limiting factor r/t speed. You only have to watch the pot long enough to get it boiling. Then you're done watching.

Brown or long-grain rice can be done pretty much the same. They just take longer to absorb H2O and may need to be reheated before serving.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1407773502|3730252 said:
Dancing Fire|1344059916|3245789 said:

How do you do it? I learned mine from Southern Living, figuring they ought to know. So, here's how I cook white rice, and I have done this hundreds of times on both gas and electric:
Do not pre-rinse rice.
Put in the rice, however much you want.
Add 2.5 cups water to every cup of rice. (Maybe down to 2C / C if the rice is damp from humidity.)
Pick your highest-heat burner, and bring it to a full boil as fast as possible. (It's your option whether or not to have the lid on.)
Put the lid on, remove pot from heat, let it sit while rice absorbs the water.
Fluff with a fork and serve.

The more heat your burner can produce, the faster you'll get the water boiling. That's the limiting factor r/t speed. You only have to watch the pot long enough to get it boiling. Then you're done watching.

Brown or long-grain rice can be done pretty much the same. They just take longer to absorb H2O and may need to be reheated before serving.

Thanks a million for this Ideal.
I love saving resources (gas).
Plus, not having the heat on for 20-30 minutes will heat up our kitchen less, since we have no AC. :appl:
Because of the heat thing I eat less rice this time of year. :((

I cook my hard boiled eggs this energy-saving way too.
I think someone here on PS introduced me to the idea.
A bit of baking soda and just enough water to cover eggs.
Tap each egg gently to barely crack the shell.
Cover pot, bring to boil.
Turn off heat.
Let rest 20 minutes in hot water, on stove.
Replace hot water with cool and peel eggs immediately, dipping into cool water if egg is too hot to touch.
Shells just fall off perfectly in large pieces. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results